Drafting a TE Day 1 & 2

BillsShredder83

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I tend to agree. I don't think TE's should be drafted in the first round.

Kelce: 3rd rounder

Gronk: 2nd rounder

Kittle: 5th rounder

Andrews: 3rd rounder

Waller: 6th rounder

And there are really no other TE's worth mentioning. Do not pay more than a 2nd round pick on a TE.

yeah I have to agree. If I look at the recent outliers to this, Hockenson was a 1 and has already been traded. Pitts could be very good but we don’t know yet because he doesn’t have a QB and they won’t use him correctly.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

yeah I have to agree. If I look at the recent outliers to this, Hockenson was a 1 and has already been traded. Pitts could be very good but we don’t know yet because he doesn’t have a QB and they won’t use him correctly.

And, it's clear you can find top TE's later in the draft.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, mrags said:

I like the tape in Laporta. He looks like he may be good at the next level. I’d target him in the 3rd though. Not sure he’s worthy of a 2nd. I’d hope for Washington in the 2nd with a trade up possibly. But I’m not sure he’ll last that long. But I think Kincaid, Meyer, and Musgrave should all go ahead of Washington. Maybe even Laporta. Just all depends on how things land 

I think Washington won’t make it past the early 2nd round.  I know that he didn’t catch a lot of passes in college, but man his size and speed are really impressive.  His route running at the combine looked a lot smoother than I expected.  I believe they said he had lost about 15 lbs from his playing weight last season.  

I can't see us drafting a TE in Round 1. I just can't. There are a bunch of Day 2 or Day 3 guys I could see us in on though. Look at who they were just going after in FA, Donald Parham, and that kind of gives you the mold they are looking for. 

1. Darnell Washington / Georgia 

2. Luke Musgrave / Oregon St.

3. Sam LaPorta / Iowa

4. Luke Schoonmaker / Michigan

5. Josh Whyle / Cincinnati 

I left off Michael Mayer and Dalton Kincaid because I believe they both have the chance to be taken in the latter 3rd of the first Round. I love Mayer, but I am a self admitted Notre Dame homer as well. :thumbsup: I love Kincaid's athleticism and what he brings in the passing game, but back injuries scare me a bit. I'm sure his medicals will be a huge factor in where he gets drafted. If either of those guys are around the middle of Day 2, I might pull the trigger to go get one. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Folks want the Gronk - Hernandez 1 - 2 punch the Pats had years ago. & With a reportedly weak WR class combined w/ a reportedly strong TE class, there's some that feel this is the best path forward.

I am a big fan of taking at a certain position in the draft whenever that position is supposed to be strong. This appears to be the year for tight ends.

My question is how serious where they about moving to too tight end sets last year it didn’t work out, but they had to high profile players at the position in training camp

If they are serious about it, then we have enough receivers. I guess that question will get answered at draft time

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think Washington won’t make it past the early 2nd round.  I know that he didn’t catch a lot of passes in college, but man his size and speed are really impressive.  His route running at the combine looked a lot smoother than I expected.  I believe they said he had lost about 15 lbs from his playing weight last season.  

That’s why I figured a trade up in the 2nd. I do not believe he last to pick 59. Personally I’d love to use our first rd pick on a IOL or if Robinson is there at 27. And I’m not a huge Robinson guy. But I believe in taking. Playmaker with that pick and I’m not a fan of a single WR in the first round unless Johnston falls which he won’t. 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I tend to agree. I don't think TE's should be drafted in the first round.

Kelce: 3rd rounder

Gronk: 2nd rounder

Kittle: 5th rounder

Andrews: 3rd rounder

Waller: 6th rounder

And there are really no other TE's worth mentioning. Do not pay more than a 2nd round pick on a TE.

This list is a bit misleading. There's reasons why Gronk and Kelce weren't 1st round picks and it wasn't because of their talent at TE. Gronk fell to the 2nd because of concerns of his back surgery in college. Kelce was a QB at the beginning of his college career and was suspended for a year for violating team rules after his freshman season for failing a drug test(Marijuana). Upon his return Brian Kelly left as HC and new HC Butch Davis converted him to TE. 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

In a draft class this deep at TE, the Bills should definitely plan on drafting one starting probably in the 3rd round.  Most definitely on day 3 with one of their picks in the 4th, early 5th, or the 6th.

The Bills should fill needs at LB (replacing Edmonds) OL and DL, but if there is another Travis Kelce or George Kittle in the waiting, grab him in the 2nd.  

54 minutes ago, mrags said:

That’s why I figured a trade up in the 2nd. I do not believe he last to pick 59. Personally I’d love to use our first rd pick on a IOL or if Robinson is there at 27. And I’m not a huge Robinson guy. But I believe in taking. Playmaker with that pick and I’m not a fan of a single WR in the first round unless Johnston falls which he won’t. 

I’m with you on more OL and you’re right that they need more play makers.  I’d prefer no RB before @ least the 3rd this year, but I could understand taking Robinson.  Like you, I can’t find a WR that I really like, other than a few small slot guys like Flowers, Downs and Dell.  I don’t think they will take a small receiver - think they will roll with Shakir and Harty in the slot.  I’d love a guy who can play outside and challenge Davis, but who?  I could live with Rashee Rice if he lasts until late 2nd, after that I could see Mingo, Iosivas, Hutchinson or AT Perry.  I think those guys can at least compete with Davis.  Other than that, maybe Jayden Reed.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m with you on more OL and you’re right that they need more play makers.  I’d prefer no RB before @ least the 3rd this year, but I could understand taking Robinson.  Like you, I can’t find a WR that I really like, other than a few small slot guys like Flowers, Downs and Dell.  I don’t think they will take a small receiver - think they will roll with Shakir and Harty in the slot.  I’d love a guy who can play outside and challenge Davis, but who?  I could live with Rashee Rice if he lasts until late 2nd, after that I could see Mingo, Iosivas, Hutchinson or AT Perry.  I think those guys can at least compete with Davis.  Other than that, maybe Jayden Reed.

I like the tape on AT Perry. Think you could get him in 3rd or maybe even 4th. 

15 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Ive seen enough people lobbying for a TE early in the draft, why?  We've shown it to be a low priority position for 20 years.  For 10 of it, the position has been very overdrafted by the league as a whole.  Its a hard position to project how a player will handle the jump, even ones taken very early.  Theyre molasses slow to develop. A 1k yard TE is an absolute unicorn sighting of an appearance.  Theres a bunch of 1k WRs every year.  First downs? Emphasize the slot.  Elite TE's in the redzone are very special, no denying that.  However, when you consider the miss rate on TEs, it seems like an astronomical price to pay for a position for that leads to less yards, higher bust rates, lower benefits of the rookie contracts with the steep learning curve of years 1 & 2.

Im open to being wrong (I expect to get blasted here and Im open to  it), I understand the versatility provided leads to less tipping off your plays by personnel.  If I want yards & TDs, 1st downs, I want a WR. If i want blocking gimme an OL or a lower round blocking TE.  The TD's are less clear cut in making up, but if you cant make them up by scheming them to your WRs and passing to your backs, are you going to be able to scheme them open for a TE?

Im not saying Id never draft a TE, but Id be more than OK never drafting one rounds 1-3, and paying a premium in free agency.  Let someone else draft them high, take on the bust risk and get them up to speed. I'll have my FA dollars ready if it's an absolute must have

Judging how the current administration values the TE position by what other people have done for 20 years is foolish and irrelevant.

Actually, Beane has shown he values the position rather highly; look at the K he gave to Knox.  

The position was underused last year, but that's probably mostly on Dorsey.  

Anyway, we aren't drafting a TE early, or probably late for that matter.

13 hours ago, dje85 said:

Beane seems to have an obsession with taking wrs later in the draft.

Yes. I don’t fully get why either. Obsession with D line, ghosts of Zay Jones, ??. Hopefully WR and OL are now on his DRAFT radar in a serios way.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Judging how the current administration values the TE position by what other people have done for 20 years is foolish and irrelevant.

Actually, Beane has shown he values the position rather highly; look at the K he gave to Knox.  

The position was underused last year, but that's probably mostly on Dorsey.  

Anyway, we aren't drafting a TE early, or probably late for that matter.

Only thing I can think of working against this argument is that Josh needs more weapons and more protection. It’s a win win for an extra in line blocker that can be utilized as a weapon in the passing game as well. There’s a few in this draft that would fit the Bill (pun intended) 

46 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That game against USC was one for the ages for this guy he’d be the only TE I would consider in round 1 I think he’s even better then Meyers at Notre Dame 

Im really starting to think this could be a gel tear pick if he is still available especially if we trade for a big time RB. 2 TE package could a massive miss match with Knox and Kincaid and a RB like Henry.

Allen

Henry

Knox 

Kincaid

Diggs 

Harty

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.