Drafting a TE Day 1 & 2

BillsShredder83

Ive seen enough people lobbying for a TE early in the draft, why?  We've shown it to be a low priority position for 20 years.  For 10 of it, the position has been very overdrafted by the league as a whole.  Its a hard position to project how a player will handle the jump, even ones taken very early.  Theyre molasses slow to develop. A 1k yard TE is an absolute unicorn sighting of an appearance.  Theres a bunch of 1k WRs every year.  First downs? Emphasize the slot.  Elite TE's in the redzone are very special, no denying that.  However, when you consider the miss rate on TEs, it seems like an astronomical price to pay for a position for that leads to less yards, higher bust rates, lower benefits of the rookie contracts with the steep learning curve of years 1 & 2.

Im open to being wrong (I expect to get blasted here and Im open to  it), I understand the versatility provided leads to less tipping off your plays by personnel.  If I want yards & TDs, 1st downs, I want a WR. If i want blocking gimme an OL or a lower round blocking TE.  The TD's are less clear cut in making up, but if you cant make them up by scheming them to your WRs and passing to your backs, are you going to be able to scheme them open for a TE?

Im not saying Id never draft a TE, but Id be more than OK never drafting one rounds 1-3, and paying a premium in free agency.  Let someone else draft them high, take on the bust risk and get them up to speed. I'll have my FA dollars ready if it's an absolute must have

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

You basically gave the answer yourself the reason is versatility mainly. Also, it adds an extra blocker on pass and run plays. They also can create mismatches with linebackers if athletic enough and not just a plodder blocking te. Though to be honest I don't think you need to worry about the Bills taking one before the third round honestly outside of being completely sold on Knox. Beane seems to have an obsession with taking wrs later in the draft.  I feel like TES fall under that for them as well. I am thoroughly convinced our first two or three picks will be defense. Especially since he has essentially stated already he feels we have our wr2 in Gabe Davis.

Edited by dje85
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I’d be OK with Sam Laporta in round 2, but like you said the Bills have never prioritized TE so not expecting they draft one til late, if at all. It’s a great TE class so I hope they upgrade over Quinten Morris at TE2.

I like the tape in Laporta. He looks like he may be good at the next level. I’d target him in the 3rd though. Not sure he’s worthy of a 2nd. I’d hope for Washington in the 2nd with a trade up possibly. But I’m not sure he’ll last that long. But I think Kincaid, Meyer, and Musgrave should all go ahead of Washington. Maybe even Laporta. Just all depends on how things land 

• Agree 1

Dorsey is supposed to favor 12 personnel. It does create mismatches. A strong blocking TE with some offensive ability would be a solid add. Given the positional strength in the draft, I do think there's a decent possibility a relatively early pick could be used.

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I like the tape in Laporta. He looks like he may be good at the next level. I’d target him in the 3rd though. Not sure he’s worthy of a 2nd. I’d hope for Washington in the 2nd with a trade up possibly. But I’m not sure he’ll last that long. But I think Kincaid, Meyer, and Musgrave should all go ahead of Washington. Maybe even Laporta. Just all depends on how things land 

I like Washington. Supposedly we met with him.

• Like (+1) 2

You can get both but there is no # 1 WR in this draft with the exception of the upside of Quinton Johnson. JSN is a good WR, Addison, Flowers are good WR's but they are going to be really good # 2's in the NFL or slot guys. The Tight Ends can be really good difference makers.

The problem is to run proper 12 personnel you at least need willing blockers if not above average blockers to have that versatility that you mention.  Even the top guys like Kincaid, Musgrave, Kuntz, are pure pass catchers who can't block college guys let alone NFL defenders. Then you have a guy like Darnell Washington who is a great blocker but is a bad route runner who lumbers in and out of his routes.

The only two guys that you can pair with Dawson Knox to make a true 12 personnel that you can draft early are Sam LaPorta and Tucker Kraft. I have 100% from the beginning said that Tucker Kraft is the perfect TE for the Buffalo Bills. He fits their character profile, he fits their scheme profile, and he fits the dynamics of a TE who can block and stretch the field vertically and horizontally. He, imo, is Rob Gronkowski lite and with time could become an all Pro type TE. I very rarely set myself this strong on a guy but I really really like him and feel if he's there in round 2 the Bills should take him.  I wouldn't even be against dropping out of the first and taking him early to mid 2nd round.

Back to the original is Ken Dorsey actually prefers 12 personnel as its very unique in the fact that defenses have to be more accountable for more parts. If you have Diggs on the outside with whoever else you with Davis and you have Dawson Knox and a high production 2nd TE it stresses a defense because its very hard to cover the entire back 7 across the entirety of the field while also accounting for the fact that you have 7 guys on the line of scrimmage and can run it down their throat at any time.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Dorsey is supposed to favor 12 personnel. It does create mismatches. A strong blocking TE with some offensive ability would be a solid add. Given the positional strength in the draft, I do think there's a decent possibility a relatively early pick could be used.

I like Washington. Supposedly we met with him.

Washington would be my choice. I’d target him in the 2nd. Might have to trade up a little because I don’t think he’ll be there at pick 59. Not after the combine numbers he put up. Hell, some team could go Gaga over him and take him before we pick at 27 for all we know. I’m a fan of Laporta and Kuntz as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Ive seen enough people lobbying for a TE early in the draft, why?  We've shown it to be a low priority position for 20 years.  For 10 of it, the position has been very overdrafted by the league as a whole.  Its a hard position to project how a player will handle the jump, even ones taken very early.  Theyre molasses slow to develop. A 1k yard TE is an absolute unicorn sighting of an appearance.  Theres a bunch of 1k WRs every year.  First downs? Emphasize the slot.  Elite TE's in the redzone are very special, no denying that.  However, when you consider the miss rate on TEs, it seems like an astronomical price to pay for a position for that leads to less yards, higher bust rates, lower benefits of the rookie contracts with the steep learning curve of years 1 & 2.

Im open to being wrong (I expect to get blasted here and Im open to  it), I understand the versatility provided leads to less tipping off your plays by personnel.  If I want yards & TDs, 1st downs, I want a WR. If i want blocking gimme an OL or a lower round blocking TE.  The TD's are less clear cut in making up, but if you cant make them up by scheming them to your WRs and passing to your backs, are you going to be able to scheme them open for a TE?

Im not saying Id never draft a TE, but Id be more than OK never drafting one rounds 1-3, and paying a premium in free agency.  Let someone else draft them high, take on the bust risk and get them up to speed. I'll have my FA dollars ready if it's an absolute must have

I don't understand drafting high unknowns when you can get known commodities for cheaper Ala Hockstrap....He's still young too. Should've pulled the trigger, Same with McCaffrey. Those two players would've made us unstoppable on offense.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

The thing about getting a top flight TE is you take care of multiple issues…extra blocker on the line…the size allows them to make a contested catch…because the bills don’t use 2TE hardly at all it would give defenses something completely different to gameplan for…quite frankly behind Dawson Knox the TE cupboard is pretty bare on this team…you could lineup a really athletic one as an extra wideout. All the great offenses in the league have effective TE play. 

• Agree 2

Depending on how the board felI I wouldn’t mind drafting Kincaid if I thought Dorsey would actually utilize him effectively. He lines up as a WR most of the time already and looks really good doing it. I definitely agree about not wanting an in line TE though like Mayer/Musgrave/Washington.

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The thing about getting a top flight TE is you take care of multiple issues…extra blocker on the line…the size allows them to make a contested catch…because the bills don’t use 2TE hardly at all it would give defenses something completely different to gameplan for…quite frankly behind Dawson Knox the TE cupboard is pretty bare on this team…you could lineup a really athletic one as an extra wideout. All the great offenses in the league have effective TE play. 

I totally agree with this and then some. Changing our offense, giving different looks would certainly be advantageous. I truly believe that if prospect(s) that the Bills like are still on the board when they pick in the first 3 rounds then they will take a TE this year.

On a side note I’m a bit surprised that Dorcey hasn’t used a lot more TE play than what he has been doing. In Carolina the only one Cam would throw to was Greg Olsen. I’d love to see the Bills draft a HD RB (Robinson) and a great TE, in addition to Knox. Using a jumbo offense with 2 big time TEs would awesome imo. I know Dorsey will be capable to do it, utilize 2 TEs and a bruising RB. That would make Josh more dangerous than ever before! Allen had to be the offense but how nice would it be to have Josh being a great addition to a great offense rather than hoping to have a great offense being a great addition to Josh. It’s time to build a total offense.

• Agree 1

I tend to agree. I don't think TE's should be drafted in the first round.

Kelce: 3rd rounder

Gronk: 2nd rounder

Kittle: 5th rounder

Andrews: 3rd rounder

Waller: 6th rounder

And there are really no other TE's worth mentioning. Do not pay more than a 2nd round pick on a TE.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

You can get both but there is no # 1 WR in this draft with the exception of the upside of Quinton Johnson. JSN is a good WR, Addison, Flowers are good WR's but they are going to be really good # 2's in the NFL or slot guys. The Tight Ends can be really good difference makers.

The problem is to run proper 12 personnel you at least need willing blockers if not above average blockers to have that versatility that you mention.  Even the top guys like Kincaid, Musgrave, Kuntz, are pure pass catchers who can't block college guys let alone NFL defenders. Then you have a guy like Darnell Washington who is a great blocker but is a bad route runner who lumbers in and out of his routes.

The only two guys that you can pair with Dawson Knox to make a true 12 personnel that you can draft early are Sam LaPorta and Tucker Kraft. I have 100% from the beginning said that Tucker Kraft is the perfect TE for the Buffalo Bills. He fits their character profile, he fits their scheme profile, and he fits the dynamics of a TE who can block and stretch the field vertically and horizontally. He, imo, is Rob Gronkowski lite and with time could become an all Pro type TE. I very rarely set myself this strong on a guy but I really really like him and feel if he's there in round 2 the Bills should take him.  I wouldn't even be against dropping out of the first and taking him early to mid 2nd round.

Back to the original is Ken Dorsey actually prefers 12 personnel as its very unique in the fact that defenses have to be more accountable for more parts. If you have Diggs on the outside with whoever else you with Davis and you have Dawson Knox and a high production 2nd TE it stresses a defense because its very hard to cover the entire back 7 across the entirety of the field while also accounting for the fact that you have 7 guys on the line of scrimmage and can run it down their throat at any time.

Excellent explanation. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I tend to agree. I don't think TE's should be drafted in the first round.

Kelce: 3rd rounder

Gronk: 2nd rounder

Kittle: 5th rounder

Andrews: 3rd rounder

Waller: 6th rounder

And there are really no other TE's worth mentioning. Do not pay more than a 2nd round pick on a TE.

Jeremy Shockey says hi 

53F3850A-31B0-488B-B950-141EC1E935AD.webp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.