Draft - Positions of Need - Top Ranked

Virgil

23 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would add a list of ESPN's top 50 with their rankings...because I want to see who we are passing on at other positions to reach for need. 

I know people get angry, but I believe DL is a need. Edge and interior. We lost last year because those guys could not get to the QB. 

We 100% need to continue to add weapons to the offense and add depth to the offensive line, but if we can't get to the QB, we can't win the whole thing. 

If we cannot score more points than the other team and get Josh beat up again. we also cannot win the whole thing !

Quite the conundrum :)

23 hours ago, Airseven said:

There are so many roster holes/issues that drafting for need vs. BPA is one-and-the-same this year. 

More specifically: still need RT, still need IOL, still need RB1, still need WR2, still need TE2, still need DE2, and still need MLB. This doesn't even consider issues with Oliver and the fact they're relying on three vets in the secondary to overcome significant injuries.

A valid point. 

For some reason fans don't seem to understand that when you have so many needs, trading down is also not wise. 

Beane's gotta finally hit one outta the park here.  His career will be impacted one way or another pending this Draft.  McD's will be too.  

The Jets beat us once and made the other close, only losing because they have no QB.  Imagine Rodgers showing up.  

Miami, despite us having owned them from '19 to '21, beat us once and played us close twice, to the wire both times, once with a ***** QB.  

NE simply won't die and go away.  

Perceptions will turn on a dime if we don't win the division, or if we can't get past KC or Cinci, and possibly a much better coaches Jax now, in the playoffs.  It'd be a dark day if we lost in the playoffs to Miami or a lesser team.  

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Our safeties are old as Methuselah. We need to be thinking about replacements but also backups. Older guys get injured more.

Unfortunately due to faulty roster management we cannot afford to draft a S before late on day-3.

23 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

... and add depth to the offensive line, ...

Depth?  

We need above-average starters.  

Morse was average at best this past season and is old for a C, he's also had 6 concussions.  Dawkins is fine but the rest were mediocre overall at best.  

IMO, Beane and McD are sealing their own fate by not going strong OT/OG/C at 27th.  Doesn't matter if it's a slight reach out not.  

And that player had better be plug-n-play ready.  

And they still need to pick up a couple of FAs that are better than what we have.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Depth?  

We need above-average starters.  

Morse was average at best this past season and is old for a C, he's also had 6 concussions.  Dawkins is fine but the rest were mediocre overall at best.  

IMO, Beane and McD are sealing their own fate by not going strong OT/OG/C at 27th.  Doesn't matter if it's a slight reach out not.  

And that player had better be plug-n-play ready.  

And they still need to pick up a couple of FAs that are better than what we have.  

They like their line. I like them too. Why some fans continue to bang their heads against the wall expecting the Bills to replace the guys they invested in and believe in just doesn’t make sense to me.  You want to mediocre? Start drafting RTs and guards in the first round. They aren’t doing it. 

PFF scores are meaningless when it comes to OL play. Additionally, Mitch Morse is not old for a center and the concussion narrative has been a concern amongst fans since day 1 and it has not been an issue. It it was a problem, he would retire. People on the board wanted Matt Paradis. What is he doing now?

Issac Seumalo is the only free agent better than what we have. If they felt like these guys needed to be replaced, they would have done it earlier. They like their line, and people want to disagree…at the end of the day none of our opinions matter. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

If we cannot score more points than the other team and get Josh beat up again. we also cannot win the whole thing !

Quite the conundrum :)

Yep 100%. Have to find that balance. but elite pass rushers should go in the first and RTs and guards should not. 

Well, here’s the thing…OL can develop and get better by massive strides. Pass rushers don’t. It is so based on natural ability. You either have natural wiggle and bend to the QB or you don’t. Yeah they can learn new pass rush moves and things, but it is the position that relies the most on God-given natural traits. 

These OL we have with these ridiculous athletic traits can get a lot better. Our defensive ends are pretty much what they are. They need to find sacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They like their line. I like them too. Why some fans continue to bang their heads against the wall expecting the Bills to replace the guys they invested in and believe in just doesn’t make sense to me.  You want to mediocre? Start drafting RTs and guards in the first round. They aren’t doing it. 

PFF scores are meaningless when it comes to OL play. Additionally, Mitch Morse is not old for a center and the concussion narrative has been a concern amongst fans since day 1 and it has not been an issue. It it was a problem, he would retire. People on the board wanted Matt Paradis. What is he doing now?

Issac Seumalo is the only free agent better than what we have. If they felt like these guys needed to be replaced, they would have done it earlier. They like their line, and people want to disagree…at the end of the day none of our opinions matter. 

Well, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

But our OL was far from cutting it in the playoffs.  

I think our fanbase puts to much emphasis on the regular season as opposed to in the playoffs.  

Someone else started a thread about meeting expectations, in which I pointed out that opinions will vary depending upon what each person's expectation is.  

Many fans seem to only care about a winning season and entertaining football.  Others won't be satisfied until we win a Championship.  

If that never happens with Allen here, it will be beyond unfortunate.  

I'm not sure I see that happening with this dumpster-diving OL we have after Dawkins & Morse.  

As to what they like, I don't trust their likes.  Remember, McD was all-in on Peterman, one of the worst QBs to ever suit up in a Bills uniform.  They liked Lotulolei, Addison, Murphy, Butler and a bunch of others too.

Remember, we're where we are because of Beane's miscues in prior drafts.  It's his draft picks that are playing horribly in the playoffs.  

You and I can argue over whether or not we're satisfied, but that much is true.  

This coming season will tell us more.  I'm not assuming a division championship again tho.  We'll have to earn it, more this year than in prior years.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, Virgil said:

As of 3/17, here's the rookies in the upcoming draft that could go in the first 3 rounds.  This is based off ESPN's rankings (everyone over an 80 grade).  Looks like WR and OT are the positions of depth in the first few rounds.  

Also, yes, I will be doing the mock drafts this year.  I plan to start them in about 2 weeks.  

RB

Bijan Robinson, Texas 93 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 87

Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 83

Devon Achane, Texas A&M 82

WR

Quentin Johnston, TCU 92

Jordan Addison, USC 91

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State 90

Zay Flowers, Boston College 89

Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee 86

Josh Downs, UNC 86

Jayden Reed, Michigan St 84

Kayshon Boutte, LSU 82

OT

Peter Skoronski, Northwestern 93

Paris Johnson Jr, Ohio St 92

Broderick Jones, Georgia 89

Darnell Wright, Tennessee 89

Anton Harrison, Oklahoma 88

Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland 87

Cody Mauch, North Dakota St 86 

Dawand Jones, Ohio St 86

OG

O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida 87

C

John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota 86

Steve Avila, TCU 81

MLB

Trenton Simpson, Clemson 86

Drew Sanders, Arkansas 85

Jack Campbell, Iowa 81

S

Brian Branch, Alabama 88

Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M 86

Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn St 85

Syndey Brown, Illinois 80

Thanks for putting this together, Virgil

FWIW on their Combine "One Bills Live" segment, Brown and Tasker hosted Greg Cosell.  He talked about the Bills needing a "3 level wide receiver" who can stretch the field vertically as well as run option routes, play inside, and play the intermediate game.

Cosell suggested Jordan Addison and Zay Flowers as two players who could fit that description and contribute immediately for the Bills.  He thought one of them would likely be there at 27. 

Flowers is 5'9" and 182 lbs with 29" arms.  I know that Beane and McDermott are firm believers in the adage "it's the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight", but, in a league where all the players are fantastic athletes, it seems to me that height and arm length do matter for WR.  I don't want to see the Bills build another team where "our WR are Smurfs" as in 2019 (and our Smurfs got neutralized by press man coverage and uncalled holding in several games, including the playoff vs. Hou).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, Virgil said:

As of 3/17, here's the rookies in the upcoming draft that could go in the first 3 rounds.  This is based off ESPN's rankings (everyone over an 80 grade).  Looks like WR and OT are the positions of depth in the first few rounds.  

Also, yes, I will be doing the mock drafts this year.  I plan to start them in about 2 weeks.  

RB

Bijan Robinson, Texas 93 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 87

Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 83

WR

Quentin Johnston, TCU 92

Jordan Addison, USC 91

Josh Downs, UNC 86

Kayshon Boutte, LSU 82

OT

Dawand Jones, Ohio St 86

OG

C

Steve Avila, TCU 81

MLB

Jack Campbell, Iowa 81

S

Brian Branch, Alabama 88

Virgil,  I would also include TE's for the 1st Round.  The right TE could help out in both the passing and running game and produce mismatches for our offense.  I really like Kincaid myself.

My logic.

Unless some freak Defensive person drops thru like a true pass rusher or CB I would pass on them in the first.

Bijan is the only RB I'd look at in the 1st Round and if he's available take him.

After that, the BPA at WR, TE, or OLine or Trade down.

2nd Round: BPA of WR/Oline/TE/LB

If we take 2 WRs or Oline in the first 2 rounds I would be ok with that.

Josh needs weapons and protection.  I'm willing to weaken the defense to protect Josh Allen.

• Agree 1

If WR and OT are the deepest positions that bodes well for us. I'd say that signing an average MLB in FA would be our smartest move and select best available in the top 2 rounds. If there's a run on OT's or WR's, you go there first. Great post Virgil. Good info.

Let's be honest. This is not a very strong roster overall. We have some very good players, but then the talent level drops way off.

Edited by GreggTX

Just want to add (and am I a minority here?), that perhaps Cornerback needs to be added to the list of needs.

If White falls flat next season, the unit could be pretty shallow.  I like Elam's upside, but personally I have CB in the mix for any round including round 1 IF the board fell that way.

• Agree 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:30 PM, Virgil said:

RB

Bijan Robinson, Texas 93 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 87

Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 83

WR

Quentin Johnston, TCU 92

Jordan Addison, USC 91

Josh Downs, UNC 86

Kayshon Boutte, LSU 82

OT

Dawand Jones, Ohio St 86

OG

C

Steve Avila, TCU 81

MLB

Jack Campbell, Iowa 81

S

Brian Branch, Alabama 88

thanks.  Surprised the center from Wisconsin and OSU not there, and G Patterson from ND

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

If WR and OT are the deepest positions that bodes well for us. I'd say that signing an average MLB in FA would be our smartest move and select best available in the top 2 rounds. If there's a run on OT's or WR's, you go there first. Great post Virgil. Good info.

Let's be honest. This is not a very strong roster overall. We have some very good players, but then the talent level drops way off.

I’m not sure where the idea that WR is deep comes from.  I hope I’m wrong, because Bills need help there, but man other than Addison, I’m not seeing much.  I think even late round 2 there won’t be much there that will project to even an eventual decent starter.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:30 PM, Virgil said:

RB

Bijan Robinson, Texas 93 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 87

Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 83

WR

Quentin Johnston, TCU 92

Jordan Addison, USC 91

Josh Downs, UNC 86

Kayshon Boutte, LSU 82

OT

Dawand Jones, Ohio St 86

OG

C

Steve Avila, TCU 81

MLB

Jack Campbell, Iowa 81

S

Brian Branch, Alabama 88

A very thorough list and thank you as you always put work into a lot of you’re initiating threads.

Reading between the lines, Beane sounds like he still wants another look at the pass catching TE option.  I love the idea after WR and G.  If we have Cook and Hines as our 21 with Gilliam to plow the field, we have 11 between a 1st RD draft pick and our current group, but we could finally get a 12 grouping with Knox and this draft class is flush with pass catching TE’s.

Id be interested in your thoughts on this group as weapons, weapons, weapons.  Resigning Poyer helped on the Safety front for now.  That will be top priority next year.  This year I’d love a 2nd TE.  Nothing wrong with Morris, just would like an upgrade and dang it use Knox better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.