Draft - Positions of Need - Top Ranked

Virgil

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I do. 

But not in the first now, probably. 

Our safeties are old as Methuselah. We need to be thinking about replacements but also backups. Older guys get injured more.

And it is actually one of the stronger position groups in this uninspiring class. I think they take a shot somewhere mid rounds... 3 through 5...

Personally I've got Jack Campbell flying up my big board and could see the Bills trading down and selecting him to start at MLB. 

Would depend on how the board fell.  For example, if OG O'Cyrus Torrence is off the board.

I think a trade down is looking plausible if there are partners.  Would be nice to have two second rounders in this draft to select, for example, 

-  Jack Campbell, MLB

-  Steve Avila, OG

...just adjusting to the lack of FA action around MLB.....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Personally I've got Jack Campbell flying up my big board and could see the Bills trading down and selecting him to start at MLB. 

Would depend on how the board fell.  For example, if OG O'Cyrus Torrence is off the board.

I think a trade down is looking plausible if there are partners.  Would be nice to have two second rounders in this draft to select, for example, 

-  Jack Campbell, MLB

-  Steve Avila, OG

...just adjusting to the lack of FA action around MLB.....

Trade down definitely plausible. Makes sense to me to go down out of the 1st and then potentially up in some later rounds to focus on targets rather than just letting this mediocre class fall as it may. 

I think on Torrence the type of guard they have signed in FA makes me even more of the view he isn't a fit here. The Bills have flip flopped a bit on the style if linemen they like over the years but it makes little sense to me to sign McGovern and then draft Torrence because they are built for very different styles of offense.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Trade down definitely plausible. Makes sense to me to go down out of the 1st and then potentially up in some later rounds to focus on targets rather than just letting this mediocre class fall as it may. 

I think on Torrence the type of guard they have signed in FA makes me even more of the view he isn't a fit here. The Bills have flip flopped a bit on the style if linemen they like over the years but it makes little sense to me to sign McGovern and then draft Torrence because they are built for very different styles of offense.

Agreed on Torrence. He doesnt fit our OL or Offense. I think we'd pass on him even if he was sitting there at 27. And from a guy who desperately wanted Linderbaum and/or Humphrey, I'd be fine with it. If that were the case, would rather go skill position at 27 and get OGs in the 2nd/3rd.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I guess they are different style lbs, but what's your view of Campbell vs. Trenton Simpson? They both look like good picks to me.

22 hours ago, Success said:

I've seen mocks that have Bijan Robinson dropping out of the 1st, which are mystifying. If for any reason he drops to 27, I think we'd have to take him (especially if we don't pick up another RB in FA).

Thanks for posting, btw. Great rundown.

There is no reason to take a RB in rd #1 of the modern NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Airseven said:

There are so many roster holes/issues that drafting for need vs. BPA is one-and-the-same this year. 

More specifically: still need RT, still need IOL, still need RB1, still need WR2, still need TE2, still need DE2, and still need MLB. This doesn't even consider issues with Oliver and the fact they're relying on three vets in the secondary to overcome significant injuries.

But if BPA is a QB, you do agree they should draft another position? 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I do get that, and agree w/ it in general.  But Robinson is at a different level. He likely won't drop to us, but he would be as impactful as any starter we could get in the 1st if he was there at 27.

It's more likely that if he drops that far, Dallas takes him at 26.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For me: One of the OTs or Downs. Although not thrilled with Downs' size.

It seems like it is defined to create a giant dilemma for Bill's fans. BPA at the least needed position. Ugh. I would hope to be able to trade down a couple of spots and take which ever OT is left. I would avoid Downs because of his size. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I guess they are different style lbs, but what's your view of Campbell vs. Trenton Simpson? They both look like good picks to me.

I think Simpson is more naturally talented and has the higher ceiling but he only really played off the ball his last year in college and to transition to an NFL MLB in a 4-3 is going to be a process and no sure bet. If I was a 3-4 team I'd take him and play him as a WILL and feel more comfortable. But he has the skillset that Beane and McDermott seem to want from their MLB. 

Campbell to me is a guy who go back 15 years would be a slam dunk first round pick. He tested a bit better than I expected at the combine and might still sneak into the 1st, but I worry about him in a scheme that asks him to do a lot of lateral stuff. I think if the Bills draft him to play MLB then what they are getting is really a younger, more athletic AJ Klein type who you need to use as they used Klein when he filled in - going vertically as much as possible and attacking the line of scrimmage.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And it is actually one of the stronger position groups in this uninspiring class. I think they take a shot somewhere mid rounds... 3 through 5...

Yeah, that would make sense to me, I think.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Yeah, there is. 

If it's an important position in your defense it makes a ton of sense. The only reason it didn't work out for us for a career-long guy was that we are short on cap money this year and trying to get back on solid ground for the future. 

Getting a pure thumper at MLB in round 1? No, fair enough, that's not a good idea. But a guy who can make a big difference in pass defense as well? That makes plenty of sense.

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Draft priorities have shifted with an underwhelming free agency period. Still reasonable to expect them to acquire another RB (please not Singletary) prior to the draft.

R1 - OL/LB

R2 - LB/OL

R3 - WR/DL

R4 - DL/WR

R5 - TE/S

R6 - S/TE

Putting the needs into rounds like that is diametrically opposed to what they do.

Needless to say, they'd be thrilled if one of their two biggest needs becomes available in the first round, and so on. Some years, like last year, it happens and they'll be thrilled. Other years it won't.

OL, MLB, WR and DL, particularly if they can rush the passer, would all make sense early, including the 1st if they are BPA. If none of those are available at a good value, I'd expect a trade back.

Who knows if we're ever getting Wagner?  Tranquil would've been nice since he graded ~ 75 for 2  straight seasons in coverage. The only way I want Campbell is on a trade down. Dawand Jones could step in and replace Brown.  And yes there's still 5 year value in drafting Bijan.  Lots of options but not sure what I'd do without my crystal ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Putting the needs into rounds like that is diametrically opposed to what they do.

Needless to say, they'd be thrilled if one of their two biggest needs becomes available in the first round, and so on. Some years, like last year, it happens and they'll be thrilled. Other years it won't.

OL, MLB, WR and DL, particularly if they can rush the passer, would all make sense early, including the 1st if they are BPA. If none of those are available at a good value, I'd expect a trade back.

Well sure, but the point was to rank/prioritize needs.

That being said, this Bills roster still has so many holes that “BPA” may be a luxury they can’t afford this year.

• Agree 1

The WR list is pretty depressing.  I like Flowers and Downs, but I think they will go with Shakir and Harty in the slot.  Would love a decent sized WR, but Johnston won’t be there and the rest are pretty uninspiring.  Maybe Rashee Rice or Jonathan Mingo if he lasts to late 2nd.  I don’t see Tillman as anything special, I don’t think he will be able to get open much in the league - late 3rd or later?  Maybe then as a guy who might make some contested catches.

I know John Michael Schmitz is highly regarded, but he is almost as old as Tremaine Edmunds who has already played in the league 5 years.  

i don’t mind Avila, but he might be a big reach in late first.  

I think TE or OT will be BPA on offense when their pick at 27 arrives.  I think there will be some good defensive players, too.

There will not likely be anyone available at 27 that in a few years fans will say lived up to “a first round pick’s expectations “. 

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

There will not likely be anyone available at 27 that in a few years fans will say lived up to “a first round pick’s expectations “. 

Trade all of our top picks for a 1,2&3 next year plus some later round picks this year.  We are running it back with the old timers this season, Morse, Miller, Hyde, Poyer, and have all of last years draft picks who didn't get to play last year. Plug them in, sit this years later round picks behind them, and be prepared for next seasons inevitible reload in the draft:

image.thumb.png.8a0a577753fbf8a527fcc417918b4684.png

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Simpson is more naturally talented and has the higher ceiling but he only really played off the ball his last year in college and to transition to an NFL MLB in a 4-3 is going to be a process and no sure bet. If I was a 3-4 team I'd take him and play him as a WILL and feel more comfortable. But he has the skillset that Beane and McDermott seem to want from their MLB. 

Campbell to me is a guy who go back 15 years would be a slam dunk first round pick. He tested a bit better than I expected at the combine and might still sneak into the 1st, but I worry about him in a scheme that asks him to do a lot of lateral stuff. I think if the Bills draft him to play MLB then what they are getting is really a younger, more athletic AJ Klein type who you need to use as they used Klein when he filled in - going vertically as much as possible and attacking the line of scrimmage.

I think I'd rather take a gamble on Simpson going by your analysis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.