Draft - Positions of Need - Top Ranked

Virgil

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No.

BPA is the best way to go. And if the player chosen is BPA but just happens to be at a position that we deem to be a  “need” then it’s BPA “at a position of need.”

Otherwise, drafting a player that could be objectively worse than another player just because he’s a “need” is a terrible strategy.

Like, awful.

The good news I think it’s gonna lineup for us this year

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

As of 3/17, here's the rookies in the upcoming draft that could go in the first 3 rounds.  This is based off ESPN's rankings (everyone over an 80 grade).  Looks like WR and OT are the positions of depth in the first few rounds.  

Also, yes, I will be doing the mock drafts this year.  I plan to start them in about 2 weeks.  

RB

Bijan Robinson, Texas 93 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 87

Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 83

Devon Achane, Texas A&M 82

WR

Quentin Johnston, TCU 92

Jordan Addison, USC 91

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State 90

Zay Flowers, Boston College 89

Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee 86

Josh Downs, UNC 86

Jayden Reed, Michigan St 84

Kayshon Boutte, LSU 82

OT

Peter Skoronski, Northwestern 93

Paris Johnson Jr, Ohio St 92

Broderick Jones, Georgia 89

Darnell Wright, Tennessee 89

Anton Harrison, Oklahoma 88

Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland 87

Cody Mauch, North Dakota St 86 

Dawand Jones, Ohio St 86

OG

O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida 87

C

John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota 86

Steve Avila, TCU 81

MLB

Trenton Simpson, Clemson 86

Drew Sanders, Arkansas 85

Jack Campbell, Iowa 81

S

Brian Branch, Alabama 88

Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M 86

Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn St 85

Syndey Brown, Illinois 80

Quentin Johnston, TCU please

Go Bills!!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Except we dont, and no team really does. Especially at 27 (or really outside of the top 10), where it starts getting so washy that who can say who is the better player available.

BPA at need is what we'll do. All I can hope is that it is at OL, and not DB or RB.

The league is just so off of RBs nowadays, even a good one isnt worth the 1st round pick where you can get a 5th year option on a much more important position.

I hope it's not RB.

But for all those who wanted us not to keep Tremaine, congrats on getting what you wanted, but you also got a position of serious need.

We are going to have to use some serious resources on MLB at some point. Could be FA, definitely.

But it seems very possible we'll also be using one of our first three picks to fill the hole there long term.

2 hours ago, Perk71 said:

Quentin Johnston, TCU please

Go Bills!!

I wonder how high the Bills rank him.

Certainly has freakish speed and size. But the Bills have showed that they want guys who can run routes really well and get separation. And other than with speed, I don't see him doing that.

My guess is that the Bills rank him significantly lower than most do. In some systems he's going to be extremely valuable, is my guess. But I wonder how OBD feels. I think they want a guy who can get open at all three levels.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I don't see Safety as a need right now

I do. 

But not in the first now, probably. 

Our safeties are old as Methuselah. We need to be thinking about replacements but also backups. Older guys get injured more.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, offyourocker said:

So you don't see a need when Poyer and Hyde are essentially on 1 year deals in their 30's and their primary backup almost died on the field. Are you kidding? This team needs at least 1 Safety in the top 4 rounds in my opinion.

As a side note, this LB class absolutely sucks. You better get Simpson, Campbell, or Sanders because the rest of the crop are either extremely undersized, great athletes who can't play football, or guys who struggle to tackle. This class of LB's is straight garbage

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, skibum said:

I'm sorta joking, but sorta not. I honestly would never rule out a CB at any spot in the first round from McBeane and company.

But, my hope this year is that they trade up a bit to draft a higher caliber player at a position of need. Of all the positions they need to fill, there's a good probability that one of them will have a really good prospect slip into the high teens/low twenties. 27 is usually a wee bit too late for that action. 

One question I have is: What would the Bills be offering for trade capital to move up? Picks and/or players? It seems like they don't have a lot of players of value that wouldn't sting if they left.  

My guess is they aren't moving up in the first unless something genuinely bizarre happens, like Van Ness or Jalen Carter or Skoronski or Paris Johnson fall to 23 or near there.

Beane values his picks and we've already got too few this year. And anyone on our roster with much trade value would leave yet another hole if traded. 

My guess is they trade back if anything. We'll see.

33 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

My guess is they aren't moving up in the first unless something genuinely bizarre happens, like Van Ness or Jalen Carter or Skoronski or Paris Johnson fall to 23 or near there.

Beane values his picks and we've already got too few this year. And anyone on our roster with much trade value would leave yet another hole if traded. 

My guess is they trade back if anything. We'll see.

Imo Buffalo should be seriously considering moving down. With limited cap space, numerous needs, and the fact that there are not 27 players worthy of a 1st round grade, accumulating extra picks makes a lot of sense

10 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Random question: anybody knows anything about Daiyan Henley, LB from Washington State?

I've seen him mocked to us in the first (!) on some local forum, and don't remember ever seeing his name mentioned on TBD before... 

I know enough to say awwwwwwewe hell naaaaaw.

good athlete-  has speed and a decent wingspan (for his height) but he’s more of an athletes than LB. Def not an option @ 27.    more like 127, but he looks like a rd 4 guy to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Except we dont, and no team really does. Especially at 27 (or really outside of the top 10), where it starts getting so washy that who can say who is the better player available.

BPA at need is what we'll do. All I can hope is that it is at OL, and not DB or RB.

The league is just so off of RBs nowadays, even a good one isnt worth the 1st round pick where you can get a 5th year option on a much more important position.

The FO has been drafting BPA at premium position of need.  They have not gone with an RB in the first.  QB, CB, WR, OT - all expensive positions.  People blast the FO routinely for the DL but those are expensive pieces to a roster.  Epenesa, Boogie, and Groot replaced $8M-10M T Murphys/Addisons/Butler types.  Dijon might be able to be used instead of a $3M vet like Fournette or Zeke.

To the OP, you need to include DL.  It is a never ending project and if a stud makes it down it has to be considered.  A home grown Von or A Donald is the next best thing to a franchise QB (and we might have one in Groot but you can always use more).  This DL guy could replace Oliver (a $10M hit)

14 hours ago, offyourocker said:

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I do. 

But not in the first now, probably. 

Our safeties are old as Methuselah. We need to be thinking about replacements but also backups. Older guys get injured more.

11 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

So you don't see a need when Poyer and Hyde are essentially on 1 year deals in their 30's and their primary backup almost died on the field. Are you kidding? This team needs at least 1 Safety in the top 4 rounds in my opinion.

As a side note, this LB class absolutely sucks. You better get Simpson, Campbell, or Sanders because the rest of the crop are either extremely undersized, great athletes who can't play football, or guys who struggle to tackle. This class of LB's is straight garbage

I think the level of play we saw from our backup Safeties after being thrust into the starting lineup absolutely makes Safety a position of HIGH need. Especially with what we saw out of Johnson after 4 years in the system. Glad to hear he is a UFA and likely wont be brought back.

I could see McBeane say "Well the late round, developmental approach failed. And we only have like 1 more year with our current All-Pro starters. Time to grab Antonio Johnson or Jordan Battle in the 1st or 2nd".

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the level of play we saw from our backup Safeties after being thrust into the starting lineup absolutely makes Safety a position of HIGH need. Especially with what we saw out of Johnson after 4 years in the system. Glad to hear he is a UFA and likely wont be brought back.

I could see McBeane say "Well the late round, developmental approach failed. And we only have like 1 more year with our current All-Pro starters. Time to grab Antonio Johnson or Jordan Battle in the 1st or 2nd".

I’ll pass on Antonio Johnson big and slow guys who don’t take the ball away is not a trait system I like. When it comes to Safety and he’s a hybrid. Give me Jartavius Martin from Illinois 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.