Draft - Positions of Need - Top Ranked

Virgil

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Campbell not Crawford? Have you taken a look at Pappoe? I don't think he's the kind of prospect that McD would be comfortable with penciling in as starter. But I'm on the fence about whether he can be a starter at mic. 

Yes, Campbell.  Sorry.  

I didn’t really watch any Pappoe til after watching him at the combine and only watched what was basically highlight reel. He looks like an impressive athlete, but like you said, not sure if he would be able to start at the mike 

There are so many roster holes/issues that drafting for need vs. BPA is one-and-the-same this year. 

More specifically: still need RT, still need IOL, still need RB1, still need WR2, still need TE2, still need DE2, and still need MLB. This doesn't even consider issues with Oliver and the fact they're relying on three vets in the secondary to overcome significant injuries.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, psuscott16 said:

QB, CB, Punter or Kicker are the only positions they should avoid early. Rest are on the table IMO. DE and safety are close seconds.

I'm sorta joking, but sorta not. I honestly would never rule out a CB at any spot in the first round from McBeane and company.

But, my hope this year is that they trade up a bit to draft a higher caliber player at a position of need. Of all the positions they need to fill, there's a good probability that one of them will have a really good prospect slip into the high teens/low twenties. 27 is usually a wee bit too late for that action. 

One question I have is: What would the Bills be offering for trade capital to move up? Picks and/or players? It seems like they don't have a lot of players of value that wouldn't sting if they left.  

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, skibum said:

I'm sorta joking, but sorta not. I honestly would never rule out a CB at any spot in the first round from McBeane and company.

But, my hope this year is that they trade up a bit to draft a higher caliber player at a position of need. Of all the positions they need to fill, there's a good probability that one of them will have a really good prospect slip into the high teens/low twenties. 27 is usually a wee bit too late for that action. 

If I'm Josh & Diggs and these clowns pick a CB @ 27,  that sends a terrible message to the offensive section of the locker room. 

Good list overall. As much as I like Jack Campbell (LB) I just think he is a 1st round reach. His film is good, but not great.

I think Dorian Williams (Tulane) would be a good fit in this defense much later.

A lot of the WR who could be available in this draft are smaller/ fast or quick WR. It just so happens Buffalo needs a slot WR.

The Bills clearly missed Beasely's production at WR3. Crowder and Lil Dirty are gone. Harty is 5'6 170 and injury prone.

Is Shakir the answer? Would be aok with one of the smallish top WR falls to Buffalo. I like Hyatt and Flowers the most.

Hyatt is a Mecole Hardman type with better potential.

Flowers is more the safe chain mover Beasley type.

Torrance seems boom or bust in the NFL...

Not sure this draft is top heavy. Seems stockpiling a 2nd and a 3rd/4th for the first may be a better move.

Get a Bergeron and Campbell in the 2nd.

I doubt any of the draft and play O-lineman fall out of affordable move-up range in round one. That being said jumping the LA Chargers for Bijan Robinson would cost us a third-round pick at most. I think that a bargain.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Normally I’d agree, but Nolan Smith would be about as good of a chance as well ever have to get an elite pass rusher in the draft during the Josh Allen era. 

Similar to Rousseau, missing a season may cause him to drop. 

Your logic makes sense, but I just don't care.  They had there chance for years to get those picks right and I just don't trust them anymore.  We need to support the offense more.  I want an offensive lineman as one of our top picks.  We need to protect Josh

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The only thing this draft is "heavy" on is mediocre football players.

I agree that this draft is missing a lot of top end talent. I do think it has good value in rounds 3-5. Maybe a good steal in the 2nd.

I'd be thrilled to get Bergeron in the second.

Are you hoping for a trade back, or to trade the first for a player?

Virg -

What exactly does your title mean?   Is there anyone here suggesting that the Bills should draft the second-best available at a position of need?  It's a simple binary debate - BPA regardless of need, or need regardless of BPS.  

Edited by Shaw66

2 hours ago, Success said:

I've seen mocks that have Bijan Robinson dropping out of the 1st, which are mystifying. If for any reason he drops to 27, I think we'd have to take him (especially if we don't pick up another RB in FA).

Thanks for posting, btw. Great rundown.

Absolutely mystifying indeed if that happens. Pending on Ekeler leaving LAC, he’ll likely get drafted by them; huge void at RB without him… but somehow if he makes it anywhere near 27, you would have to believe there’s a good shout he goes to Dallas @ 26 with Zeke out the door and Pollard fresh off the leg break.

Quite a few potential good RBs this year who are projected 4th round or later. 

2 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Drafting BPA is how you end up picking CJ Spiller at 9 when you already have Marshawn, no thanks.

😂

sometimes that works out not to be a problem… not the case for Buffalo. 
Both Clemson boys (Spiller & Watkins) were dominant in college and possible BPA @ the time… just weren’t what we needed. 

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No.

BPA is the best way to go. And if the player chosen is BPA but just happens to be at a position that we deem to be a  “need” then it’s BPA “at a position of need.”

Otherwise, drafting a player that could be objectively worse than another player just because he’s a “need” is a terrible strategy.

Like, awful.

Literally every team drafts for need to some extent

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Virg -

What exactly does your title mean?   Is there anyone here suggesting that the Bills should draft the second-best available at a position of need?  It's a simple binary debate - BPA regardless of need, or need regardless of BPS.  

I should have just said positions of need,  player rankings.   I’m so used to just saying BPA

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to Draft - Positions of Need - Top Ranked
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.