Draft - Positions of Need - Top Ranked

Virgil

As of 3/17, here's the rookies in the upcoming draft that could go in the first 3 rounds.  This is based off ESPN's rankings (everyone over an 80 grade).  Looks like WR and OT are the positions of depth in the first few rounds.  

Also, yes, I will be doing the mock drafts this year.  I plan to start them in about 2 weeks.  

RB

Bijan Robinson, Texas 93 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 87

Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 83

Devon Achane, Texas A&M 82

WR

Quentin Johnston, TCU 92

Jordan Addison, USC 91

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State 90

Zay Flowers, Boston College 89

Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee 86

Josh Downs, UNC 86

Jayden Reed, Michigan St 84

Kayshon Boutte, LSU 82

OT

Peter Skoronski, Northwestern 93

Paris Johnson Jr, Ohio St 92

Broderick Jones, Georgia 89

Darnell Wright, Tennessee 89

Anton Harrison, Oklahoma 88

Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland 87

Cody Mauch, North Dakota St 86 

Dawand Jones, Ohio St 86

OG

O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida 87

C

John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota 86

Steve Avila, TCU 81

MLB

Trenton Simpson, Clemson 86

Drew Sanders, Arkansas 85

Jack Campbell, Iowa 81

S

Brian Branch, Alabama 88

Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M 86

Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn St 85

Syndey Brown, Illinois 80

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 9

I've seen mocks that have Bijan Robinson dropping out of the 1st, which are mystifying. If for any reason he drops to 27, I think we'd have to take him (especially if we don't pick up another RB in FA).

Thanks for posting, btw. Great rundown.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

Nah. Just draft BPA. 

Except we dont, and no team really does. Especially at 27 (or really outside of the top 10), where it starts getting so washy that who can say who is the better player available.

BPA at need is what we'll do. All I can hope is that it is at OL, and not DB or RB.

Just now, Success said:

I've seen mocks that have Bijan Robinson dropping out of the 1st, which are mystifying. If for any reason he drops to 27, I think we'd have to take him (especially if we don't pick up another RB in FA).

The league is just so off of RBs nowadays, even a good one isnt worth the 1st round pick where you can get a 5th year option on a much more important position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

All teams draft their perceived BPA at positions of need every year, it’s never not been that way, 100% of draft picks are needs. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Except we dont, and no team really does. Especially at 27 (or really outside of the top 10), where it starts getting so washy that who can say who is the better player available.

BPA at need is what we'll do. All I can hope is that it is at OL, and not DB or RB.

No.

BPA is the best way to go. And if the player chosen is BPA but just happens to be at a position that we deem to be a  “need” then it’s BPA “at a position of need.”

Otherwise, drafting a player that could be objectively worse than another player just because he’s a “need” is a terrible strategy.

Like, awful.

• Agree 2

I really hope we can trade down and get one of the tackles (adding Bergeron to the list), one of the WR’s (adding Tillman to the list) and either Crawford or Simpson.  Sample is intriguing, but I don’t think he’s ready to start @ mlb year 1 

• Like (+1) 1

I would add a list of ESPN's top 50 with their rankings...because I want to see who we are passing on at other positions to reach for need. 

I know people get angry, but I believe DL is a need. Edge and interior. We lost last year because those guys could not get to the QB. 

We 100% need to continue to add weapons to the offense and add depth to the offensive line, but if we can't get to the QB, we can't win the whole thing. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No.

BPA is the best way to go. And if the player chosen is BPA but just happens to be at a position that we deem to be a  “need” then it’s BPA “at a position of need.”

Otherwise, drafting a player that could be objectively worse than another player just because he’s a “need” is a terrible strategy.

Like, awful.

I dont disagree with you philosophically. That is what every team SHOULD do. Just saying, they dont. And expecting them to doesnt give us much conversation here.

Unless you can tell me who you think the BPA at 27 will be. And if you are fine taking a RB, CB, TE there if so.

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

Drafting BPA is how you get Aaron Donald at 4 instead of trading up for Sammy Watkins.

You mean Kalil Mack. Donald wasnt on anyones radar as BPA that draft or he wouldve gone at #2 overall.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont disagree with you philosophically. That is what every team SHOULD do. Just saying, they dont. And expecting them to doesnt give us much conversation here.

Unless you can tell me who you think the BPA at 27 will be. And if you are fine taking a RB, CB, TE there if so.

If BPA for Buffalo at 27 is any of those positions then I’m all for it.

For example, If their 11th overall ranked player is there at 27, and he’s a TE, then I hope they take him. 

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

As of 3/17, here's the rookies in the upcoming draft that could go in the first 3 rounds.  This is based off ESPN's rankings (everyone over an 80 grade).  Looks like WR and OT are the positions of depth in the first few rounds.  

Also, yes, I will be doing the mock drafts this year.  I plan to start them in about 2 weeks.  

RB

Bijan Robinson, Texas 93 

Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama 87

Zach Charbonnet, UCLA 83

Devon Achane, Texas A&M 82

WR

Quentin Johnston, TCU 92

Jordan Addison, USC 91

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State 90

Zay Flowers, Boston College 89

Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee 86

Josh Downs, UNC 86

Jayden Reed, Michigan St 84

Kayshon Boutte, LSU 82

OT

Peter Skoronski, Northwestern 93

Paris Johnson Jr, Ohio St 92

Broderick Jones, Georgia 89

Darnell Wright, Tennessee 89

Anton Harrison, Oklahoma 88

Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland 87

Cody Mauch, North Dakota St 86 

Dawand Jones, Ohio St 86

OG

O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida 87

C

John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota 86

Steve Avila, TCU 81

MLB

Trenton Simpson, Clemson 86

Drew Sanders, Arkansas 85

Jack Campbell, Iowa 81

S

Brian Branch, Alabama 88

Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M 86

Ji'Ayir Brown, Penn St 85

Syndey Brown, Illinois 80

If Jaylen Addison is available you run to the podium with your pick.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I know I’m constantly pounding the table for Offense, but I might add Nolan Smith to that list.  

He may be there at 27, has elite traits, and would be well served to learn under Von Miller. 

I have a feeling if we do go D at 27, it will be because Antonio Johnson is still there. And they'll say he was BPA. Which is probably all true. But man...

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would add a list of ESPN's top 50 with their rankings...because I want to see who we are passing on at other positions to reach for need. 

I know people get angry, but I believe DL is a need. Edge and interior. We lost last year because those guys could not get to the QB. 

We 100% need to continue to add weapons to the offense and add depth to the offensive line, but if we can't get to the QB, we can't win the whole thing. 

If we go D-Line in the first 2 rounds.....

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I really hope we can trade down and get one of the tackles (adding Bergeron to the list), one of the WR’s (adding Tillman to the list) and either Crawford or Simpson.  Sample is intriguing, but I don’t think he’s ready to start @ mlb year 1 

Campbell not Crawford? Have you taken a look at Pappoe? I don't think he's the kind of prospect that McD would be comfortable with penciling in as starter. But I'm on the fence about whether he can be a starter at mic. 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

If we go D-Line in the first 2 rounds.....

Normally I’d agree, but Nolan Smith would be about as good of a chance as well ever have to get an elite pass rusher in the draft during the Josh Allen era. 

Similar to Rousseau, missing a season may cause him to drop. 

25 minutes ago, Success said:

Yes, if we don't land a cheap power back in FA, the bpa meter goes off and you're pretty much obligated to take Bijan.  But the 2nd round pick better be OL/ WR.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.