Gesicki to the Patriots

drummernut74

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Oh no I stand by that.  The Bills are the only squad paying $13 mill for Knox.  

After the year he just had, I can’t see another team in the league throwing $13M/yr at Knox, not in this offseason where lower market deals have been aplenty. My guess is he probably would’ve came in somewhere around Gesicki’s deal, $9M/yr.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

After the year he just had, I can’t see another team in the league throwing $13M/yr at Knox, not in this offseason where lower market deals have been aplenty. My guess is he probably would’ve came in somewhere around Gesicki’s deal, $9M/yr.

Why do you think there was only $2m AAV between Gesicki with his receiving production and Josh Oliver with his 230 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns in 4 seasons? 

I'll tell you. Receiving yards is not the single determinative factor you people think it is in how the NFL values tight ends.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Why do you think there was only $2m AAV between Gesicki with his receiving production and Josh Oliver with his 230 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns in 4 seasons? 

I'll tell you. Receiving yards is not the single determinative factor you people think it is in how the NFL values tight ends.

Not to mention Gesicki only caught 32 passes for 362 yards last season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gesicki had a down year. I’m not surprised he didn’t break into the double digits, but that’s also why he signed a 1 year “prove it” deal. Probably signed with the wrong QB to be honest, but I still think he’s capable of having much better production in that offense without the Hills and Waddles around him.

Anyway, the franchise tag for TEs is a little over $11M/yr and Evan Engram was the only TE to receive the designation. Spotrac has been pretty spot on with regards to projected AAV of the top TEs: FA TEs. Hayden Hurst only got a little over $7M for his good season with the Bengals. If Dalton Schultz signs for at least $13M/yr, I’ll agree that Knox would’ve fetched the same (or slightly more) on the open market. My bet is that Schultz comes in somewhere around the franchise tag number, $11M/yr.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Gesicki had a down year. I’m not surprised he didn’t break into the double digits, but that’s also why he signed a 1 year “prove it” deal. Probably signed with the wrong QB to be honest, but I still think he’s capable of having much better production in that offense without the Hills and Waddles around him.

Anyway, the franchise tag for TEs is a little over $11M/yr and Evan Engram was the only TE to receive the designation. This site here has been pretty spot on with regards to projected AAV of the top TEs: FA TEs (courtesy of Spotrac). If Dalton Schultz signs for at least $13M/yr, I’ll agree that Knox would’ve fetched the same (or slightly more) on the open market. My bet is that Schultz comes in somewhere around the franchise tag number, $11M/yr.

Schultz is NOT signing for $11m AAV.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

We shall see, my friend! I don’t think he gets the $15M/yr he’s projected. If he does sign a criminally low deal, it’ll certainly blow up your thinking in regards to Knox.

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

We shall see, my friend! I don’t think he gets the $15M/yr he’s projected. If he does sign a criminally low deal, it’ll certainly blow up your thinking in regards to Knox.

Yes, Knox is in the Schultz tier. What he gets is probably a fair indication of where Dawson would have been in the market.

• Agree 1

On 3/19/2023 at 7:15 AM, GunnerBill said:

You’re right, it’s even lower! 😂 Hate to say “I told you so,” but…

The tight end on Monday is planning to sign a one-year, $9 million contract with the Houston Texans, a person familiar with the decision told The Dallas Morning News.

19 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

You’re right, it’s even lower! 😂 Hate to say “I told you so,” but…

Fair play. I mean that is RIDICULOUSLY cheap. Way under market value. But you are right it suggests that Knox would have been underpaid too had he hit FA this spring. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair play. I mean that is RIDICULOUSLY cheap. Way under market value. But you are right it suggests that Knox would have been underpaid too had he hit FA this spring. 

The reason I believed it’d go that way is because the market has been unkind to the skill positions this year. It took forever for a WR to sign. RBs, TEs, name the skill position and they’ve all been hit with terrible deals. Can’t call it collusion, but it’s the flavor of this particular offseason. These guys aren’t getting fair market deals. Blame the QB salary escalation. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.