What's on your Mt. Rushmore of Sitcoms?

BillsPride12

Get a Life only ran for a couple of years but was funny as hell.

My Name is Earl should get a mention too, as above, funny as hell. I could actually relate that one to people I worked with back when.

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What's the point of threads like this?  All we get is a list of sitcoms, which we had before this thread was started.

Tell us WHY you think 1 is 1, 2 is 2, and so on.

Say something.

And YOU didnt even do THAT much in your post! :lol: :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

In the spirit of the NCAAs, first four in:

• MASH (the Frank Burns years)
  • Barney Miller (even with cast changes, Fish, Nick, show kept its edge)
  • Taxi (could do without Latka, Jim saved the show)
  • Odd Couple (perfectly cast, even the Pidgeon Sisters)

Last four out:

• Cheers (the Coach years)
  • Mary Tyler Moore Show (again, a great cast)
  • Honeymooners (the 1955-56 run, even while short, set the standard)
  • Happy Days (until Fonzie moved in the apartment above the garage)

Honorable mention:

• Just about anything Norman Lear touched, All in the Family, Good Times, Maude, The Jeffersons
Edited by Ned Flanders

2 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I've been meaning to watch "It's always sunny..."   It's on a few lists, I'll have to start it.  Never saw one episode.  

Oh man, it's such a great show. Tough to binge since they can be very abrasive. A lot of yelling. Keep in mind the other option for the show's name was simply "Jerks".

I really enjoy and respect the show because it was created, written, and produced by the main cast. Rob Mcelhenney (Mac) created the concept, and his friends Glenn Howerton (Dennis) and Charlie Day (Charlie) all wrote and produced it together. As in, for the first few seasons if one of them isnt in a scene, they are literally holding the camera shooting it all themselves.

Then once they got rolling, signed on a few awesome directors such as Fred Savage, Jerry Levine (Face in Teen Wolf), and Matt Shakman. With Shakman going on to become now one of the greatest directors in TV (The Boys, WandaVision, Game of Thrones, etc).

The first season is good, but totally unlike the rest of the show. They were still hashing out the characters, still feeling out how far they could push things, etc.

Once Danny Devito joins the cast in Season 2 it really takes off. Seasons 3-6 might be some of the best TV ever created, especially season 5.

Point being, if you start with season 1 and it seems blah, just jump to season 2. Although there are some things that get setup in season 1 that play out through the entire 15 seasons (ex: the McPoyle brothers). It is episodic tho, not serialized, so you can pretty much jump in anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

M*A*S*H if you consider it a Sitcom;  I watch 2 episodes each night at 7 PM when logged into work

WKRP in Cincinnati; have not watched enough of the The New WKRP in Cincinnati to tell.

Night Court, have not watched new series with Melissa Rauch executive producing and starring as Harry’s daughter, Abby Stone

Mork & Mindy, Robin Williams at his improvisational best. Bicentennial Man is one of my favorite movies.

The Bob Newhart Show, Bob Newhart was your ultimate straight man.

Too many to choose from.

Seinfeld is the only no-doubter for me. 

If cartoons are in play then Family Guy gets in (due in part to recency bias).

The Honeymooners gets my non recency bias vote.

And I'll put Cheers on the mountain - at the expense of other great choices like Barney Miller, Taxi, Munsters, The Office...I could go on and on.

Nice to see My Name is Earl mentioned by @T&C .   And I'd also put shows like Soap and Scrubs in the same category - loved them all but they fell just shy of greatness for me. 

Seinfeld 

The Office

Modern Family 

Scrubs

20 hours ago, Augie said:

Cheers - used to be taco night ritual for us

MASH - We could watch it up to 5 times a day in college

Mary Tyler Moore - just has to be on here

News Radio - underrated show that tragically ended too soon. RIP Phil Hartman

News Radio!

Joe Rogan was my favorite on the show.

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh man, it's such a great show. Tough to binge since they can be very abrasive. A lot of yelling. Keep in mind the other option for the show's name was simply "Jerks".

I really enjoy and respect the show because it was created, written, and produced by the main cast. Rob Mcelhenney (Mac) created the concept, and his friends Glenn Howerton (Dennis) and Charlie Day (Charlie) all wrote and produced it together. As in, for the first few seasons if one of them isnt in a scene, they are literally holding the camera shooting it all themselves.

Then once they got rolling, signed on a few awesome directors such as Fred Savage, Jerry Levine (Face in Teen Wolf), and Matt Shakman. With Shakman going on to become now one of the greatest directors in TV (The Boys, WandaVision, Game of Thrones, etc).

The first season is good, but totally unlike the rest of the show. They were still hashing out the characters, still feeling out how far they could push things, etc.

Once Danny Devito joins the cast in Season 2 it really takes off. Seasons 3-6 might be some of the best TV ever created, especially season 5.

Point being, if you start with season 1 and it seems blah, just jump to season 2. Although there are some things that get setup in season 1 that play out through the entire 15 seasons (ex: the McPoyle brothers). It is episodic tho, not serialized, so you can pretty much jump in anywhere.

You’re a philanthropist.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.