Cody Ford signed by the Bengals

Beck Water

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Fair… They were dominated the entirety of the game though. Yea, they were missing Von and Jones, but the real issue is they’ve invested a whole hell of a lot into their 8 man rotation and depth and STILL got terribly embarrassed by back ups…..Despite having their own 1st and 2nd round picks healthy and playing.

And you watch, they’ll turn around and do the same exact thing this draft within the first three rounds with a LB and more D linemen while passing on offense. 

I get what you think is the problem.  And I agree, as I’ve said.  They should have invested more into the OL and WR. 

We just don’t know how the roster that   Beane put together would have faired if it had remained healthy.  Like KC.  

Von Miller dominated the 4th quarter vs the chiefs and won the game for us.  We beat the best team in the league in their house with an almost healthy roster (minus Tre’Davious and Hyde).

10 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

In 2021, Burrow held the ball waiting for Chase to get open downfield. He got sacked a lot. So they invested a lot of money in the OL in the offseason. In the early part of 2022, they tried the same offense and Burrow still got sacked a lot and they were losing. This all came to a head during a Halloween night blowout loss to the Browns where Burrow got sacked 5 times. The next week was the bye week. After that, the ball started coming out a lot quicker and the sacked dropped and they went on a winning streak.

How do I know this? I live in Cincinnati and I hear the local chatter and watch the games. Fans left this team for dead after that loss to the Browns and were calling for Zach Taylor’s head.

That's what baffles me even more with the Bills strategy going into the playoff game.  We already had a glimpse of it in the cancelled game, but Frazier seemed to proceed to go with the exact same game plan.

The teams that take the short routes away or at least disrupt Cincy's timing give them fits because it forces Burrow to hold the ball longer and allows the pass rush to get home.

And what did we do?  We played well off their receivers and played right into their hands.  The very opposite of what you should be doing against them. Those throws were there for Burrow all night long.

So frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

In 2021, Burrow held the ball waiting for Chase to get open downfield. He got sacked a lot. So they invested a lot of money in the OL in the offseason. In the early part of 2022, they tried the same offense and Burrow still got sacked a lot and they were losing. This all came to a head during a Halloween night blowout loss to the Browns where Burrow got sacked 5 times. The next week was the bye week. After that, the ball started coming out a lot quicker and the sacked dropped and they went on a winning streak.

How do I know this? I live in Cincinnati and I hear the local chatter and watch the games. Fans left this team for dead after that loss to the Browns and were calling for Zach Taylor’s head.

Good stuff.

And what did the Bills change up defensively to counteract it? Jam the receivers, bring in the safeties or did we just keep running a glorified  "conservative" Tampa 2 deep shell.

10 hours ago, brianthomas said:

hey at least they're making a concerted effort to attempt to address the issue. For instance Orlando Brown & Cody Ford > Connor McGovern.

4/$64M is much larger than anything we're able to hand out this year. It isnt about effort or philosophy, it's literally math and budgeting.

10 hours ago, brianthomas said:

With the oline being so important, you'd like to add at least 1 'good' starter to the line every year. I set the bar pretty low since even 1 has been a hard target for us to reach.

This is a nice thought, but nearly impossible in reality.

EVERY team would like to add 1 good starter to the line every year. Players moving from team to team make that a wash since someone is losing as someone gains. That means you need 32 good starters being added to the league, every year, if you expect GMs to live up to that "low" standard. We certainly do not get 32 good starters out of the draft each year. Maybe 10 at best. That means every year, over 2/3rds of the teams are failing to meet your low standard.

While GMs should certainly be trying to add OL talent every year, the chance of hitting on them just doesnt add up to your expectation.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

And?  

Again…… I was replying to someone stating the the bengals backup OL owned our defensive line….. 

again……. Because reading is hard, I only thought it was only fair to mention that it was the Bills backups (as well as the Cinci backups). 

again…… weo with zero context and zero clue

Bills won 6 games in a row without Miller.  Then they got pantsed by backups vs. Cincy.  Therefore it wasn't because they were missing Miller.

That was the context.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills won 6 games in a row without Miller.  Then they got pantsed by backups vs. Cincy.  Therefore it wasn't because they were missing Miller.

That was the context.

No——someone said the bengals BACKUPS handled the Bills defensive line. My point was:  it’s only fair to include the bills BACKUP defensive line. 

but do you.  

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No——someone said the bengals BACKUPS handled the Bills defensive line. My point was:  it’s only fair to include the bills BACKUP defensive line. 

but do you.  

You keep missing the poster's point:  the Bills should have been able to handle a cobbled together O-line of backups even missing Miller (for example), as they had done 6 games prior.  They were winning with backups--and undefeated without Miller. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That was the Bills DL with probably their two best players missing, Mr. Miller and Mr. Jones. The Bengals also had problems, but we didn't have the guys to take advantage of their problems that week.

Worth remembering, not to mention that we'd had a guy die on the field.

The whole Bills team was really off, they looked emotionally spent.

The Bills D allowed the Bengals to score their average.  While the Bills O scored ten points less than the average points the Bengals allowed.

Yet somehow folks here only want to talk about the defense. The whole team was bad. But the offense was absolutely awful.

Yeah. It annoys me how people absolve the offense of any blame after that turd of a game they played 

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You keep missing the poster's point:  the Bills should have been able to handle a cobbled together O-line of backups even missing Miller (for example), as they had done 6 games prior.  They were winning with backups--and undefeated without Miller. 

Yeah……that’s kind of my point.  He’s talking about Miller ….. but weren’t just missing Miller….they were missing their best DL all season, Daquan Jones.  

we hadn’t won one game without von and daquan all season, so I’m not sure why we’re talking about our record without Von. OT wasn’t just von.  Daquan had been great all season and our depth at DT was depleted.  Not to mention Ed being playing injured.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Except the Bills “BACKUP” defensive line are full of 1st and 2nd rounders who rotate significantly every game… so not at all the same thing… and they were still DOMINATED.

Yeah….but they suck.  And we all know this. So that’s a story for a different day and conversation.  

Or turn this conversation into how Brandon Beane is bad.  

47 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

My only stance in this thread:  if it’s being said that the bengals backups handled our defensive line, it should also be mentioned that it was our backup defensive line.

that isn’t too hard to comprehend.  Is it?

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah……that’s kind of my point.  He’s talking about Miller ….. but weren’t just missing Miller….they were missing their best DL all season, Daquan Jones.  

we hadn’t won one game without von and daquan all season, so I’m not sure why we’re talking about our record without Von. OT wasn’t just von.  Daquan had been great all season and our depth at DT was depleted.  Not to mention Ed being playing injured.

Yeah….but they suck.  And we all know this. So that’s a story for a different day and conversation.  

Or turn this conversation into how Brandon Beane is bad.  

My only stance in this thread:  if it’s being said that the bengals backups handled our defensive line, it should also be mentioned that it was our backup defensive line.

that isn’t too hard to comprehend.  Is it?

I can't help any more.  I'm out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Little interesting tidbit, 

In 2019 we made that horrible decision to trade up for Cody Ford. We traded up to pick 38. The Bengals had pick 42 and traded down after that. They were probably targeting him and that's why we made that boneheaded decision to move up. It truly is a crapshoot. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't care about these stats.

Burrow shredded the Bills D last year. 

Burrows went to the Super Bowl the prior year.

Meanwhile, Allen and the Bills were watching Burrow and the Bengals playing...

I disagree and agree at the same time ha ha. I disagree since this stat matters, and their OL wasn't up to par with the long game they tried. I agree since the COACHES adjusted the gameplan (yes, it can be done!) and tailored a style more suited to their players weaknesses and strengths. And they won 9 in a row and crushed the Bills, something NO ONE had done all season long last year. 

48 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I disagree and agree at the same time ha ha. I disagree since this stat matters, and their OL wasn't up to par with the long game they tried. I agree since the COACHES adjusted the gameplan (yes, it can be done!) and tailored a style more suited to their players weaknesses and strengths. And they won 9 in a row and crushed the Bills, something NO ONE had done all season long last year. 

I think it's safe to say the Bengals were and are the better team. They just improved their Oline this off season. 

Meanwhile, how much better have the Bills gotten? Is it enough to pass or compete with the Chiefs and Bengals? 

Miami is making more moves and the Jets seemingly will land Rodgers. The AFC east is extremely competitive. 

Imho, the Bills have to have a lot go their way. Players have to improve, stay healthy, and the coaching has to be much better. Still a solid playoff team but I have my doubts it can go to a Super Bowl. 

Every team needs backups,

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

No word yet on contract. 

Just thought it was worth putting out there that Ford has been signed by one of the teams we keep extolling as a team we should emulate for their OL moves.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cody-ford-29074/

Why do they hate Joe Burrow?

• Haha (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.