Cody Ford signed by the Bengals

Beck Water

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So I hate that I’m saying this, but it needs to be said

It’s true we were missing Jones in Vaughan, but they were also missing half of their offense of line

We just got beat that’s all

Yeah….we got beat- I’m not disputing that.  

It was said that their backups beat our defensive line.  It’s only fair to mention that their backup beat our backups…… No?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It was said that their backups beat our defensive line.  It’s only fair to mention that their backup beat our backups…… No?

They would’ve beaten KC if not for Chris Jones, so it’s a valid point.  CIN was playing at a high level down the stretch, but KC’s healthy DL was able to get after them enough to escape.  

That game probably highlighted for a lot of people that Ed Oliver has zero reason to be on this roster in ‘23 at a 10M cap hit, but without Von and Daquan, and we might as well have declared Phillips out with his dangling arm, was definitely a lot to overcome… especially with Tre off injury, no Hyde and Poyer falling apart. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They would’ve beaten KC if not for Chris Jones, so it’s a valid point.  CIN was playing at a high level down the stretch, but KC’s healthy DL was able to get after them enough to escape.  

That game probably highlighted for a lot of people that Ed Oliver has zero reason to be on this roster in ‘23 at a 10M cap hit, but without Von and Daquan, and we might as well have declared Phillips out with his dangling arm, was definitely a lot to overcome… especially with Tre off injury, no Hyde and Poyer falling apart. 

👍🏻 agreed.

all more reason to be excited and not so bummed.  When teams suffer significant injuries to ALL PRO players- a teams chances of winning a SB is decreased.  The season was a roller coaster of emotions and obstacles that never really stopped.  I figured it was over the second I saw Daquan was out vs Cinci.  It was the final nail in the coffin.  Too much loss to overcome.  The 2 biggest offseason additions that were supposed to help get us over the hump, didn’t even play in the deciding game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, brianthomas said:

hey at least they're making a concerted effort to attempt to address the issue. For instance Orlando Brown & Cody Ford > Connor McGovern

Yea read that they both played together in college so never know they might work together well knowing each other so well as olinemates.  They could mesh very well and that's a big part of oline success.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

No word yet on contract. 

Just thought it was worth putting out there that Ford has been signed by one of the teams we keep extolling as a team we should emulate for their OL moves.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cody-ford-29074/

Yes, 31 NFL Teams should look to us with admiration and even jealousy for the wonderful offensive lines we have been fielding for decades. Nothing short of continuous greatness.

I mean after all, look at all of those premium draft picks we have invested in it.

8 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The Bills D Line sure did their best to prove your point 

That was the Bills DL with probably their two best players missing, Mr. Miller and Mr. Jones. The Bengals also had problems, but we didn't have the guys to take advantage of their problems that week.

Worth remembering, not to mention that we'd had a guy die on the field.

The whole Bills team was really off, they looked emotionally spent.

The Bills D allowed the Bengals to score their average.  While the Bills O scored ten points less than the average points the Bengals allowed.

Yet somehow folks here only want to talk about the defense. The whole team was bad. But the offense was absolutely awful.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Too much loss to overcome?… Clearly Cincy was thinking the same thing with 3 of their better starting offensive linemen out.😅

Yea the injuries hurt as they do every team… the Bills still had 1st and 2nd rounders getting destroyed at the LOS by back ups…

I think it is fair to say that our losses were more important than their losses

The loss of Von Miller really hurt or pass rush, was never the same after he went down he was opening things up for Russo on the other side and the interior was getting pressure

I read a stat earlier in the week of the pressures we were getting with Von compared to without von and it’s pretty significant

DaQuan Jones that’s our run stopper

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Their starting 5 is head and shoulders above our starting 5….. and their back ups ***** on our defensive line.

It is an interesting point and I think it had more to do with our defensive line just being terrible that day. 

Head and shoulders above, IMO, is not quite true. But let's compare for fun: 

Brown Jr.-Volson-Karras-Cappa-Williams

to

Dawkins-McGovern-Morse-Bates-Brown

Brown Jr.>Dawkins but I think it is very close to a wash. I think Dion does a really good job, but Brown's length and stature just make him incredibly difficult to rush on. I am interested to see if playing with Burrow vs Mahomes will hurt Brown. Mahomes throws out of a ton of sacks and saves his guys. Brown is 2 years younger. 

McGovern>Volson...but it's close. In his limited time, McGovern has been better than Volson to my eye test. Volson is very interesting with the upside, but McGovern has a better pedigree and the same type of upside. McGovern has 4 years in the league and is just a few months older than Volson. 

Morse>Karras...I will take Morse over Karras all day every day. He's the better athlete, the better pure center. The only knock on him is the concussion stuff. Morse has been a high-level center for years as Karras was a journeyman. Morse is a month younger as well. Karras has become a serviceable player, but he isn't Morse imo. 

Cappa>Bates...I love Bates' upside but Karras has beenmuch better and has a super bowl title. What Cappa has become coming out of Humboldt State is just super impressive. Bates is two years younger. 

Williams>Brown...but it's closer than most think. Jonah Williams is just not a tackle. He is a guard or a center and I think a move inside will do wonders for his career. I think he could be one of the top centers in the league. He is still only 25 years old. A change of scenery and a move to center will do wonders for him. Additionally, he is just 25 years old, a couple of months older than Spencer Brown. Brown has struggled as Williams has, and both have really struggled with injuries, but Brown is at the very least a high-upside tackle. Williams is an IOL and the quicker he realizes that the better his career will be. I still give the edge to Williams here, but it is close. 

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I like Jackson Carman better than Jonah Williams at RT so I think he should be their starter and they should trade Williams. Ideally, you move Jonah to LG and put Carman and RT and then the Bengals really win the 1 on 1 comparison. So I also give the Bengals the win in depth. I like the upside of Tommy Doyle and Ryan Van Denmark, and Ike Boettger is solid depth, but they are really the only depth we have right now. 

So yes they are better, but I think it is closer than most people think. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Miller was gone before December.  The Bills went 6-1 without him. 

58 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Too much loss to overcome?… Clearly Cincy was thinking the same thing with 3 of their better starting offensive linemen out.😅

Yea the injuries hurt as they do every team… the Bills still had 1st and 2nd rounders getting destroyed at the LOS by back ups…

Which injuries hurt the Chiefs?

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They have to with Burrow.  His splits under pressure vs. kept clean are night and day.  Meanwhile, Allen is the best under pressure in the NFL.  I'm not saying we shouldn't prioritize OL, but I wish people would stop comparing us to the Bengals in this area.

I don't care about these stats.

Burrow shredded the Bills D last year. 

Burrows went to the Super Bowl the prior year.

Meanwhile, Allen and the Bills were watching Burrow and the Bengals playing...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Miller was gone before December.  The Bills went 6-1 without him. 

And?  

Again…… I was replying to someone stating the the bengals backup OL owned our defensive line….. 

again……. Because reading is hard, I only thought it was only fair to mention that it was the Bills backups (as well as the Cinci backups). 

again…… weo with zero context and zero clue

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The defense didn't show up against the Bengals at all and struggled down the stretch.  But you can't say our injuries didn't have a major effect on the defense throughout the year.

Players that have been All Pro or 2nd team All Pro on our defense are:

• Micah Hyde - 15 games missed
  • Jordan Poyer - 4 games missed
  • Von Miller - 9 games missed
  • Tre White - 10 games missed

If you replaced the names above with lets say the 49ers and Nick Bosa, Erik Armstead, Fred Warner and Charvarius Ward missed that many games....would you expect their defense to struggle?

Again, the Bengals game was still embarrassing but I think it was more mental than physical that game.  We played dead.  That's why I have zero problem with what Diggs did by just leaving after the game.  He was pissed...no one was really showing any fight out there for whatever reason.  We need more Diggs attitudes.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.