Singletary—inarguably above average statistically: discuss

dave mcbride

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, and Allen is running so much and taking so many hits for several reasons, one of which is that a QB run gives you a one-man advantage, which an RB run does not. It's easier. That's surely a great deal of the reason they call lots of QB runs despite having RBs who are often successful when they run.

Not to mention that many of his runs come from scrambles that turn into runs.

And Singletary does indeed rely on quickness and making guys miss. That's why he is consistently in the top four in the NFL of forcing missed tackles.

2021 7th at missed tackles per attempt %age

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-elusive-running-backs-2021-season

2022 5th at missed tackles per attempt %age

https://www.rotoballer.com/fantasy-football-running-back-sleepers-missed-tackles-2022/995606#Missed_Tackles_Forced_Data    (see graph)

2019 2nd at missed tackles per attempt %age

"[Singletary] forced 0.25 missed tackles per attempt, second-best in the league. "

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-backfield-rankings-all-32-running-back-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

2022 6th at broken+missed tackles forced %age

https://www.fantasypros.com/2022/07/rb-broken-plus-missed-tackles-forced-percentage-analysis-2022-fantasy-football-javonte-williams-elijah-mitchell-ezekiel-elliott/

Your idea that he can't force missed tackles, that, "that is not going to happen against most NFL defensive players" is just plain wrong.

enough of your facts. You and the OP are doing a very good job of this all while maintaining composure.

What I find the most funny here is the assumption that most responders seem to be making - that you think DS should start over James Cook (I presume that not to be the case bc why would he right??) You are merely saying that DS is a solid back that is quite good at making people miss. A good fit for RB2 if the right price is reached.

But but but 4th and 1! Yeah QB's do those now, people.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

True the grass isn't always greener but it doesn't mean the FO shouldn't try.  And it seems to me part of the FO plan was to not extend RBs.  Use the rookie salary up and discard.  Was a great strategy before, but now with the veteran RB glut it may not be necessary to have to go with another rookie.

Also I think the FO wants a larger, good short yardage, and good pass protecting RB.  This would be a great complement to Cook/Hines.  That is not what Singletary provides.  Someone like that R Johnson could be drafted around the 4th to go with a cheap vet for a year.

And there lingers the D Henry possibility.  This is where the FO needs to be flexible and re-route their plans if need be.  D Henry is the exception to the rule.  Henry is a physical beast that belongs in the elite talent category of player.  And don't give me ypc, Singletary is not in the same league as Henry

Singletary is actually very good in pass pro. It improves his ypc stats because defenses don’t know what’s up when he’s on the field — which is a good thing. 

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Singletary is actually very good in pass pro. It improves his ypc stats because defenses don’t know what’s up when he’s on the field — which is a good thing. 

Singletary is not an upgrade at the position.  He would be rolling back the same at a higher price -he won't be coming back on the rookie deal.

I think the plan has been to increase Cooks time.  And the overall RB room would improve if could get another who would excel at what Cook/Hines don't do well.  A large back that can get the short yardage and is good in pass pro.  The R Johnson type in the 4th kind of thing.  That accompanied with a short term bargain vet like Fournette or Zeke and the plan stays on point.

But the glut of FA RBs and the dropping of the price may be giving the FO thoughts of revising this plan.  A veteran stud may now be more reasonable - D Henry or D Cook.  And this would give the FO at least one notable improvement for year over year.

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think zeke will be far too expensive and I want the money spent on o-line and receivers. But point taken. 

I don’t know how much credence to  lend to betting odds and Matt Lombardo, but he’s reporting the Bills are the “unanimous” choice for Elliott. I don’t see how they afford him 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/.amp/news/buffalo-bills-ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-sign-rumors-contract-free-agency-josh-allen

Edited by PauleeeWalnuts
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/16/2023 at 10:16 PM, dave mcbride said:

The numbers are the numbers. Just sayin.’

And the eye test is the eye test. And I’ve seen enough. He’s OK, no doubt he’s had some good games, I’m just ready for a change there.

18 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Im a Devin Singletary fan. He was underutilized his entire time here and I’m not even 100% sure James Cook is a better player. Nothing James Cook did last season  make me believe that he will be. Sure he may be a lil faster than Motor but he doesn’t break many tackles and Singletary was much better in pass protection. I didn’t like how we basically fizzled Singletary out of the offense as the season went on despite him still being productive with the limited attempts he was getting. 

The pass protections concern is a legitimate argument. That is some thing that cook is definitely going to have to improve.

Cooki is the better receiver and it’s not close

I think it comes down to two things we’ve only got so much money to spend, and the potential upside of the player

I am going to say this I thought the cook was much better between the tackles than I was expecting last year. He’s not a grinder by any means, but he wasn’t a liability either.

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The pass protections concern is a legitimate argument. That is some thing that cook is definitely going to have to improve.

Cooki is the better receiver and it’s not close

I think it comes down to two things we’ve only got so much money to spend, and the potential upside of the player

I am going to say this I thought the cook was much better between the tackles than I was expecting last year. He’s not a grinder by any means, but he wasn’t a liability either.

My lone recollection of Cook’s rookie year was his early propensity to put the ball on the ground. I know he got better as the season went on but I just couldn’t shake it. I held my breath each time he touched it. (Let’s pray that’s behind him.) So I’ll stand by my earlier post that I believe the Bills plan on simply swapping the roles of Cook and Singletary with Cook getting the starter level reps.

Singletary is worth more to the Bills signing somewhere else so we get the Edmunds comp pick than he is bringing back. 

He is nothing special but he is not bad either. Doesn't have that many carries. He and Cook would be fine for another year but so would just about any other RB to pair with Cook. 

I'd rather see Fournette on a 2 yr deal. He is a big back and excellent in pass blocking. He was released do doesn't count against you in the comp pick formula.  Would be a nice compliment and veteran presence for Cook/Hines. At the right price.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Singletary is worth more to the Bills signing somewhere else so we get the Edmunds comp pick than he is bringing back. 

He is nothing special but he is not bad either. Doesn't have that many carries. He and Cook would be fine for another year but so would just about any other RB to pair with Cook. 

I'd rather see Fournette on a 2 yr deal. He is a big back and excellent in pass blocking. He was released do doesn't count against you in the comp pick formula.  Would be a nice compliment and veteran presence for Cook/Hines. At the right price.

I don't like continuity for continuitys sake.  And I am not a big Singletary fan. And they points you make about the comp pick seem valid.  Hoever,  I felt like going into the 2022 season if you polled Bills fans on what team had the best team chemistry in the NFL, the Bills would have been a runaway number 1 pick.    That seems like it is changed now.  I don't think the Bills have any intention of resigning Singletary, but I wonder if replacing him with a similar JAG does more or less for team chemistry (as unmeasurable as that is). 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:10 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd be shocked at this point if Singletary doesn't come back on a team friendly deal. RB's aren't banking their estimated values to begin with and he's running out of options with the amount of them that have been signed already.

Whether simply running back what we had last season is the right move or not is debatable. But I think the writing is on the wall that that's what we're going to do.

I agree & i love me some motor in Buffalo but with that if you can get a guy like Robison for around $3+ mill for 4 to 5 yrs that is as the so called experts say  a generational talent which Henry was or is too wouldn't that be much better & more cap friendly ?

Not to mention he has a lot less wear & tear on him & although injury is always a possibility for any player that could be less of a concern with a younger player too .

There is a lot to take in but i have faith in the Beanster !!!

On 3/16/2023 at 10:10 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd be shocked at this point if Singletary doesn't come back on a team friendly deal. RB's aren't banking their estimated values to begin with and he's running out of options with the amount of them that have been signed already.

Whether simply running back what we had last season is the right move or not is debatable. But I think the writing is on the wall that that's what we're going to do.

Clearly this is a good idea for vomiting.png@Airseven vomiting.png hates it.

Whatever team Singletary has played best at he is probably a fan of.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:16 PM, Lost said:

Singletary is incredibly consistent and healthy.   Not bad qualities to have.

Availability is most  important attribute.

Ppl need to wake up DS isn’t being coveted by anyone. 

and for the bills it’s time to evolve. We can’t rely on keeping flawed rb / te players bc they can block . We have / had those and this bills team couldn’t get it done. Allen and the O need to evolve and get better at slip screen, delayed screen , delayed rb out the backfield , dump offs and MUCH MUCH better at timing and underneath passing game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, balln said:

Ppl need to wake up DS isn’t being coveted by anyone. 

and for the bills it’s time to evolve. We can’t rely on keeping flawed rb / te players bc they can block . We have / had those and this bills team couldn’t get it done. Allen and the O need to evolve and get better at slip screen, delayed screen , delayed rb out the backfield , dump offs and MUCH MUCH better at timing and underneath passing game. 

I would love to see the Bills get Damien Harris. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.