Singletary—inarguably above average statistically: discuss

dave mcbride

I'd be willing to sign Motor to a minimal deal as a hedge against not finding a better back.  He's got some moderate skills and he's a great teammate.  And, at the moment, he's best RB we have.

Ideally, though, I'd love to have more speed in the RB position.  Then again, a power back would be a great compliment to Josh.  It's hard to shut down a power back and a strong armed QB both at the same time.  

47 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/all/

RB market is bottoming out. Top of the FA market is $6.25M AAV (not including Saquon Barkley’s FT). Third highest AAV is $4M. Many RBs making big money are being shopped or cut. It’s already a buyer’s market so players like Singletary will be signing cheaply or not at all. 

Love it go get Harris on the cheap and see if you can get one healthy season out of him.  He can do it all when healthy 

57 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Even if Singletary wants to come back on the minimum deal, his skill set is not what we need.  

Power. Back.  

Someone to take short yardage from Josh Allen. 

That’s not Singletary. 

I agree that we could use a back with some power, but that back also needs to fit with our scheme. We don’t have bullies on the OL to run power football. We need runners who can hit the holes wherever they open up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why is the OP using 2019 stats as a point of comparison to an aged Frank Gore with a different team, different, O-line, and different Josh Allen?

If you want a more accurate apples-to-apples comp, use 2022 and Cooks stats vs. Singletary's as a point of comparison and to have "inarguable" statistical comparisons.

7 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Why is the OP using 2019 stats as a point of comparison to an aged Frank Gore with a different team, different, O-line, and different Josh Allen?

If you want a more accurate apples-to-apples comp, use 2022 and Cooks stats vs. Singletary's as a point of comparison and to have "inarguable" statistical comparisons.

Also you must watch games or at least try to remember the situations in wich both run the ball, Cook never get a short down try, and after Moss trade that was a Singletary role and  why his average per carry is lower than Cook's 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Even if Singletary wants to come back on the minimum deal, his skill set is not what we need.  

Power. Back.  

Someone to take short yardage from Josh Allen. 

That’s not Singletary. 

I'm certainly not going to say that Singletary is a power back.  He's a smaller guy and definitely not a classic power back.  The Bills have been terrible on 3rd and 4th and less than 2 in recent years.  I would lose my lunch if I had to watch Moss slam into the line for no gain again.  That said, and I'm not quoting statistics here, but for those of you who watched every snap of every game like I did last season, did you not notice that Singletary was highly successful on 3rd and 4th and short last year?  He converted a ton of them.  I can't recall whether this occurred more after Moss was traded, but the results were a significant improvement over what we've seen the last couple of seasons.  I have not seen it noted here on this board (which actually surprises me), but I also have not read this entire thread.  Am I the only one to notice this?

On a related note, if the Bills can re-sign Singletary on a cheap deal, and focus on improving the line, I can live with that.  If the Robinson kid from Texas falls in the draft, and you can get a really talented back on a rookie contract, I could live with that too, but I don't foresee him falling to the Bills.  I could also live with a mid-round or late-round RB pick.  The issue, to me, is the line, and not the RBs.

Two, IFs.  If Singletary is willing to sign for a cap friendly deal, and IF he is willing and able to play Special Teams, he can take Taiwan Jones roster spot (whom the Bills have not resigned yet.)  Then Beane can draft a bruiser in the later rounds.

All good comments and valid points on resigning, not resigning Singletary.  Personally, I like him and think he is a very capable back.  Runs hard, good hands, blocks well, doesn't fumble much (13, lost 5, out of 817 touches) and a smart player.  He has been a great team player.

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Singletary has averaged 4.7 ypc for his career (and 4.7 in 2022) and the league average in the years he has played is between 4.3 and 4.4 (trust me, but look it up if you doubt me: https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/league-average-yards-per-carry-by-running-backs-2022).  Since he has entered the league, he has always been above league average. And lest you think any RB can average these numbers, Frank Gore averaged 3.6 ypc in 2019 for the Bills (a year in which Allen had 510 yards rushing and nearly 5 ypc). Point is, the grass ain’t always greener.

That is certainly one, single stat to focus on.

Comparing him to a worn down Zeke Elliot...

Zeke: 6' 225lbs, Singletary 5'7" 205lbs, and the difference in strength shows at the goal line.

Zeke in 2022: 12 TDs, Singletary 5 TDs

Zeke in 2022: 0 Fumbles and 0 Lost, Singletary: 3 Fumbles, 3 Lost

Zeke: 52 First Downs, Singletary: 42 First Downs

I think one of these guys is the better compliment to Cook.

And this isnt trying to knock, or disparage Singletary. We could definitely do worse than bringing him back this year, and I'd welcome it. Just saying...

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Singletary has averaged 4.7 ypc for his career (and 4.7 in 2022) and the league average in the years he has played is between 4.3 and 4.4 (trust me, but look it up if you doubt me: https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/league-average-yards-per-carry-by-running-backs-2022).  Since he has entered the league, he has always been above league average. And lest you think any RB can average these numbers, Frank Gore averaged 3.6 ypc in 2019 for the Bills (a year in which Allen had 510 yards rushing and nearly 5 ypc). Point is, the grass ain’t always greener.

Well I’m convinced. Devin Singletary is better than Frank Gore.

• Haha (+1) 1

I love his effort - but the big problem is that we have 3 of the same kind of back.

We do need a "big" back, someone for short yardage & the goal-line.  Cook & Hines are great for the rest.  Singletary is just the odd man out at this point.

They could bring him back and hope that bolstering the line will elevate all 3. But I'd rather have someone who can take the short yardage stuff that JA does for the most part.

Im a Devin Singletary fan. He was underutilized his entire time here and I’m not even 100% sure James Cook is a better player. Nothing James Cook did last season  make me believe that he will be. Sure he may be a lil faster than Motor but he doesn’t break many tackles and Singletary was much better in pass protection. I didn’t like how we basically fizzled Singletary out of the offense as the season went on despite him still being productive with the limited attempts he was getting. 

Edited by BillMafia716ix
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That is certainly one, single stat to focus on.

Comparing him to a worn down Zeke Elliot...

Zeke: 6' 225lbs, Singletary 5'7" 205lbs, and the difference in strength shows at the goal line.

Zeke in 2022: 12 TDs, Singletary 5 TDs

Zeke in 2022: 0 Fumbles and 0 Lost, Singletary: 3 Fumbles, 3 Lost

Zeke: 52 First Downs, Singletary: 42 First Downs

I think one of these guys is the better compliment to Cook.

And this isnt trying to knock, or disparage Singletary. We could definitely do worse than bringing him back this year, and I'd welcome it. Just saying...

I think zeke will be far too expensive and I want the money spent on o-line and receivers. But point taken. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I think zeke will be far too expensive and I want the money spent on o-line and receivers. But point taken. 

Yeah, I hear that. I'm half hoping Zeke knows he pulled a huge fast one on the NFL getting that last $70M (good for him) and is ok making only another $10M more over the next couple of years. Hey, a guy can dream.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

We're done on this topic,  you seem to think Singletary is a great back ti have and I don't agree if we make to improve on bringing him back.  No need to insult each other, it's ok not to agree with rock throwing.

Dude, I specifically said in the post that you are quoting: “ I (and I venture to say other “Singletary supporters”) have never said that he is a star.  He is a solid starting RB that a team can win with.”  And yet you say that I think he is great.

BTW, it was you who started with the condescending tone suggesting that anyone who doesn’t think Singletary sucks “doesn’t understand burst to the line”.

I’m happy to be done with this back and forth.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Point is, the grass ain’t always greener.

True the grass isn't always greener but it doesn't mean the FO shouldn't try.  And it seems to me part of the FO plan was to not extend RBs.  Use the rookie salary up and discard.  Was a great strategy before, but now with the veteran RB glut it may not be necessary to have to go with another rookie.

Also I think the FO wants a larger, good short yardage, and good pass protecting RB.  This would be a great complement to Cook/Hines.  That is not what Singletary provides.  Someone like that R Johnson could be drafted around the 4th to go with a cheap vet for a year.

And there lingers the D Henry possibility.  This is where the FO needs to be flexible and re-route their plans if need be.  D Henry is the exception to the rule.  Henry is a physical beast that belongs in the elite talent category of player.  And don't give me ypc, Singletary is not in the same league as Henry

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.