Singletary—inarguably above average statistically: discuss

dave mcbride

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Singletary has averaged 4.7 ypc for his career (and 4.7 in 2022) and the league average in the years he has played is between 4.3 and 4.4 (trust me, but look it up if you doubt me: https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/league-average-yards-per-carry-by-running-backs-2022).  Since he has entered the league, he has always been above league average. And lest you think any RB can average these numbers, Frank Gore averaged 3.6 ypc in 2019 for the Bills (a year in which Allen had 510 yards rushing and nearly 5 ypc). Point is, the grass ain’t always greener.

Inarguably is a bit strong. But yeah, probably a bit above average. He's always among the leaders in missed tackles and he does very well at YPA despite an OL that is probably below average.

He's a good player. Not great, but good. Wouldn't be surprised to see them bring him back, based largely on what the price ends up being.

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

4.65 FORTY,  he does not have enough speed or burst to be a starting level RB and that is why he is still available. His average is based on teams worried about Allen,  we need an upgrade.

You don't need to be fast. You need to be effective.

Motor is effective.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Singletary’s ypc numbers are artificially skewed upward by him not being good enough to be handed the rock when the tough short yardage yards are needed. Never having to run against short yardage defenses will certainly help your ypc. I am so sick of being 2nd and 2 and then worrying about how we are going to get the first down and the massive punishment josh is going to be taking the next few plays. Should have overpaid a little for Jamaal. 

Yeah, um, he's got 10 first downs and one TD on 3rd down and 1-3 yards this year, behind that OL that isn't great.

Five attempts the year before that, for 42 yards, another TD and three first downs.

For his career, he's got two carries on 4th and 1-3 and on both he got enough for first downs, though one was actually a TD instead.

For his career, 35 attempts at 3rd and 1-3 and 24 first downs.

Again, behind that line. He does lose a lot of carries because Allen is so good and so tough and running Allen means you have a man advantage. 

But Singletary is pretty good at it, though behind that line.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, um, he's got 10 first downs and one TD on 3rd down and 1-3 yards this year, behind that OL that isn't great.

Five attempts the year before that, for 42 yards, another TD and three first downs.

This is only meaningful if the context of how many 3 and 1-3 yard situations are given.   If Singletary is used in 80% of those situtations and is converting them 100% of the time, he is an incredible stud.   If he is used in 10% of the situations and converts 50%, then he is just getting conversions by the element of suprise on occassion.  So your statistical support doesn't really allow any conclusions to be reached. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I just don’t think that he’s the type of back that the bills are looking for

And it’s not that he’s not good he’s just not a pounder

James Cook replicates a lot of what he does

I agree that the Bills are probably looking for more of thicker bodied, in-between the tackle runner.   Beane pretty much said as much in his presser.  I’d be happy to have Singletary again, I just don’t think that is who they are looking for.

I thought Foreman was going to be the guy they picked up, now that these sort of options are dwindling down they either get their guy in the next few days or they settle on a low end vet to compete with a RB draft choice to fill that spot.

One final thing I’ll say: I think we need to have more context when looking at stats and in this case, his high YPC

Jimmy G had a better passer rating than Josh the last two years.

Does that make him an elite QB and better than Josh? No.

He throws against way more single high safeties and is going to get a lot of more 1 on 1s. Teams sell out to stop SFs run so Jimmy G benefits.

For singletary, teams sell out to stop Josh with two deep safeties so Singletary benefits with his YPC.

Pacheco for context averaged 4.9 YPC with the chiefs this year. Same rules apply as teams sell out to stop Mahomes with two deep 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I just don’t think that he’s the type of back that the bills are looking for

And it’s not that he’s not good he’s just not a pounder

James Cook replicates a lot of what he does

This is a fair assessment.  Singletary is a good RB, but his skills are replicated by Cooks’ who is cheaper, younger and faster.  They tried to pair Singletary with a more powerful runner in Moss, but Moss didn’t pan out (maybe due to injury?). I think they are looking for what they hoped Moss would be to go with Cook.

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

4.65 FORTY,  he does not have enough speed or burst to be a starting level RB and that is why he is still available. His average is based on teams worried about Allen,  we need an upgrade.

Here we go with the 40 time obsession.  Way overblown.  Yes, better to be faster than slower, but RBs very rarely just run straight through gaping holes.  They need to have vision, ability to avoid or run through tackles - both of which Singletary does well.  No doubt, there are occasions when, after he has gotten to the open field with the above mentioned skills, he gets caught where a speedier player might have gotten more yardage, but I think it is unrealistic to think that there are tons and tons of yards left on the field due to that.  Singletary is a good starting RB is he perfect? No, but neither are most other RBs.

There is considerably more to being a good NFL player than straight line speed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Here we go with the 40 time obsession.  Way overblown.  Yes, better to be faster than slower, but RBs very rarely just run straight through gaping holes.  They need to have vision, ability to avoid or run through tackles - both of which Singletary does well.  No doubt, there are occasions when, after he has gotten to the open field with the above mentioned skills, he gets caught where a speedier player might have gotten more yardage, but I think it is unrealistic to think that there are tons and tons of yards left on the field due to that.  Singletary is a good starting RB is he perfect? No, but neither are most other RBs.

There is considerably more to being a good NFL player than straight line speed.

Do you even understand anything about burst to the line?  probably not.  Why do you think Allen is running so much and taking so many hits,  with teams loading up against the pass the running game is there.  They have not had a starting level RB in years,  Singletary relies on quickness and making guys miss.  That is not going to happen against most NFL defensive players.  He is an average RB and no team will offer him a contract because of it.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Inarguably is a bit strong. But yeah, probably a bit above average. He's always among the leaders in missed tackles and he does very well at YPA despite an OL that is probably below average.

He's a good player. Not great, but good. Wouldn't be surprised to see them bring him back, based largely on what the price ends up being.

You don't need to be fast. You need to be effective.

Motor is effective.

How about you Singletary supporters explain if he was so good and it's all on the line why no other teams are interested.  Sure resign him at league min,  but if they want to improve on offence they need a starting level RB so were not asking our QB to run the ball and expose him to hits.

Singletary, Cook, and Hines compliment each other well. Singletary can run between the tackles, Cook and Hines can go around the outside, and Hines can catch. I think it's a pretty good RB group. The biggest issue last year was that Cook took 2/3 of a season to get it together. If he comes out strong this year, Singletary will become option B and we will all be happy.  

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

How about you Singletary supporters explain if he was so good and it's all on the line why no other teams are interested.  Sure resign him at league min,  but if they want to improve on offence they need a starting level RB so were not asking our QB to run the ball and expose him to hits.

Yeah, that's a straw man and a wild exaggeration. Could you please point out to me where I said that "it's all on the line"? No, you can't, because I didn't say that. 

If you want to answer me, reply to what I actually said.

As for me explaining , sure, I'll explain it when you explain how you know that "no other teams are interested." Are you Singletary? His agent? His mother? I presume not. So you haven't a clue, anymore than I do. But I didn't pretend I did.

What you know is that he hasn't signed a contract. And there are many possible reasons for that, most particularly money disagreements and the teams trying to wait guys out to drop their prices. 

Hundreds more players will be signed. Singletary could easily be one of them.

They do need another starting level RB. Perhaps even two. Re-signing Singletary for a salary that they could both agree on would absolutely provide one.

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

672 carries in 4 years is really not a lot at all though and he’s never had 900 yards in his career. So  That’s an average of 10 carries a game basically over that span . Josh Jacobs alone last year had 340 lol.

My point is: He is only getting 10 carries a game, which is going to keep him more fresh/efficient.

He runs a lot against light boxes. And he didn’t get a ton of short yardage carries.

You add all that up and it makes sense why is YPC is good.

Give him 15-20 carries a game like a typical starting RB, and couple that with going against more 8 man fronts/short yardage carries? inarguably his YPC would drop significantly 

The Bengals game was a perfect example of not having a starting level RB with both size and burst.  Thurman Thomas was not some blazing fast RB,  but he had excellent burst into the line.  Singletary does not have any burst and that average is based on limited touches and teams loading up against the pass. I want to see the Bills get a legit starting RB and stop this nonsense of exposing our star QB Allen to taking so many hits because they are using him to run the ball.  Why are passing teams like KC and the Bengals able to run the football.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, that's a straw man and a wild exaggeration. Could you please point out to me where I said that "it's all on the line"? No, you can't, because I didn't say that. 

If you want to answer me, reply to what I actually said.

As for me explaining , sure, I'll explain it when you explain how you know that "no other teams are interested." Are you Singletary? His agent? His mother? I presume not. So you haven't a clue, anymore than I do. But I didn't pretend I did.

What you know is that he hasn't signed a contract. And there are many possible reasons for that, most particularly money disagreements and the teams trying to wait guys out to drop their prices. 

Hundreds more players will be signed. Singletary could easily be one of them.

They do need another starting level RB. Perhaps even two. Re-signing Singletary for a salary that they could both agree on would absolutely provide one.

How about you explain our playoff game,  are you going to now say the Bengals missing 3 starters in our playoff game had a better offensive line to run the ball or just better running backs.  Joe Mixon is both big and fast (4.45 forty) and he was able to get bigs runs behind a line of 3 backups.  

No, there is no NFL team signing or interested in Singletary as a longterm commitment.  Do you hear about him visiting any teams,  if he was so great and in demand you would hear something.  

Sure maybe a team would sign him for depth purposes on some one year prove it contract but he never getting any huge guaranteed longer term deal. Maybe explain why Allen needs to run so much on designed run calls and you don't see designed runs for either Burrows or Mahomes. 

Get a starting RB and stop this nonsense with Allen, we don't need a Cam Newton situation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.