Singletary—inarguably above average statistically: discuss

dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Not a small thing true, but I think Cook can do that. Think and know are 2 different things I get it.

But I'd rather use that RB spot in a big body back that can get 1-2 yards 90+% of the time. Sucks knowing Allen is our best short yardage back.

Cook sucked at blocking last season (turnstile), although he may get better. 

Just now, Southern_Bills said:

I'm sure he will get "better", question is how much. 

IMO getting a short yardage back that can block would be great. Though I admit I'm not sure who if anyone fits that bill.

I hear you, but if Motor ends up being cheap, why not re-sign him and focus the draft on more key positions? Singletary is legit above average by every measure, and we need to get better at passing and blocking. If he comes cheap and Josh is a fan (which he is), keep him.

29 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This isn’t an argument. Elaborate, please.

Mike Tolbert

Chris Ivory

Frank Gore

Zack Moss

Devin Singletary - Who is the best of the bunch.

But this staff has always chained an older boat anchor to the better runner in the offense. All it accomplishes is taking carries away from the more dynamic player.

Plus Singletary represents putting a third contract on running back, and this team just does not run enough to give Cook, Hines and Singletary a worthy role, as evidenced by last year. 

When Cook gets to his 4th year, you draft another rookie and start over again, not cling to the past and re-sign veterans.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The obsession over backs is killing me… I honestly don’t give a flying ***** who they sign to split carries with Cook and Hines, just get a WR worth a damn opposite Diggs.

Meh. This is not an argument. Some players are better than others. What is your approach to the RB position, inclusive of both the draft and free agency? Be specific and with no snark (please).

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I hear you, but if Motor ends up being cheap, why not re-sign him and focus the draft on more key positions? Singletary is legit above average by every measure, and we need to get better at passing and blocking. If he comes cheap and Josh is a fan (which he is), keep him.

I have no argument against bringing him back on the cheap. I still wouldn't give up on a short yardage back and roster spots come at a premium. 

I figure with Cook and Hines the need for another small back is getting slim on most Sundays.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Mike Tolbert

Chris Ivory

Frank Gore

Zack Moss

Devin Singletary - Who is the best of the bunch.

But this staff has always chained an older boat anchor to the better runner in the offense. All it accomplishes is taking carries away from the more dynamic player.

Plus Singletary represents putting a third contract on running back, and this team just does not run enough to give Cook, Hines and Singletary a worthy role, as evidenced by last year. 

When Cook gets to his 4th year, you draft another rookie and start over again, not cling to the past and re-sign veterans.

This doesn’t tell me much other than to keep the 4.7 ypc guy vs the 3.7 ypc folks. Singletary is still quite young and can block on third down. What is your alternative, specifically, with regard to the draft and FA (price/draft slot included)?

Singletary is a solid back, not really anything special but a back that makes for a good RB2. Singletary’s issue is that while he doesn’t have major holes in his game he doesn’t do anything exceptionally well either. 

Singletary is a above average receiver but not someone you can lineup in the slot either. Singletary can run between the tackles but not a great power runner. Singletary has average speed and solid agility. 

I would love to have him back at a modest price. Somewhere in the 3.5 million dollar range. 

Just now, Charles Romes said:

All running backs rack up inflated ypc stats playing with Allen. He forces all DBs to play deep every play. Best example the Bears game. Josh’s throwing was off that day but fear of the arm led to 200+ on the ground. 

Not true.  Gore was at 3.6 in 2019 and Singletary was at 4.7. 

39 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Cook has burst and Singletary has legit wiggle. They are not the same. The two are different backs without question.

No, they are very, very different backs. Wiggle/vision between the tackles vs burst in space. I regard this as an obvious difference between the two but am willing to listen alternative views.

I like how you replied to this with two different ways to say the same thing, but you were more open to debate in the 2nd answer. 

More people should show their rough drafts in this place. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

A poster mentioned Latavius Murray. He was pretty effective down the stretch for Denver and is exactly what the Bills are looking for and absolutely should come cheap. He’s 33, but would be a solid option for splitting carries with Cook/Hines. If not Murray, draft the power, short yardage back 6th or 7th round. 

No offense, but Murray sucks now and hasn’t averaged 4.7 ypc since his rookie season, which was over a decade ago. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurrLa00.htm

Just now, dave mcbride said:

This doesn’t tell me much other than to keep the 4.7 ypc guy vs the 3.7 ypc folks. Singletary is still quite young and can block on third down. What is your alternative, specifically, with regard to the draft and FA (price/draft slot included)?

Nah I’m done being talked down to.

Cook is your freaking answer man. 

Cook had 89 carries last year. 

He’s a 2nd Round pick with better physical traits all around than Singletary. So he gets double the carries this season as the lead.

Then the guy that your GM brought with a 5th Round pick and Moss is used as the breather/3rd down back so he actually justifies the investment. 

If those two get hurt, then head to the street or practice squad to an undrafted rookie runner who still will run for over 4.0 ypc because virtually everyone does in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Nah I’m done being talked down to.

Cook is your freaking answer man. 

Cook had 89 carries last year. 

He’s a 2nd Round pick with better physical traits all around than Singletary. So he gets double the carries this season as the lead.

Then the guy that your GM brought with a 5th Round pick and Moss is used as the breather/3rd down back so he actually justifies the investment. 

If those two get hurt, then head to the street or practice squad to an undrafted rookie runner who still will run for over 4.0 ypc because virtually everyone does in the NFL.

I love Cook, but he is small. He is legit 25 pounds less than his brother, and he was protected at georgia despite the obvious talent. The bills need another back, obviously, and my point is why not take the guy who knows the offense and who is above-average in productivity by every nfl measure assuming he’s affordable?

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He ran the ball pretty well the last 6-7 games of the season…. Either way, I don’t want to use any more cap space on a RB then I need too… sign a cheap vet or draft another one 6th to 7th round.

Pacheco was a 7th round rookie….

You want a list of a the sixth-seventh round RB rookies in the last five years who didn’t pan out? Happy to provide it. This is akin to arguing that we should wait til the 6th round to draft qbs because, you know, tom brady.

Edited by dave mcbride

6 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I was joking. Sorry, it looked like you literally replied to the same thing twice in one response. Just trying to keep it light brother. 

Fair enough! (And I did think I was responding to two different posts — my bad!)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.