Singletary—inarguably above average statistically: discuss

dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Gore averaged 3.6 against the same teams and the chiefs’ ypc since 2019 is under 4.7. Come up with a more empirically sound argument.

Gore got a ton of 3rd and 1/goal line touches, where singletary didn’t.

a lot harder to get good YAC in those scenarios.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You gave no reasons. Compare him with the other elite passing teams. 

Saying his YPC is higher because he runs against light boxes and doesn’t get many 3rd and 1/goal line touches aren’t good reasons? Those are perfectly legit reasons IMO

Edited by BillsFan130

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not remotely funny (network tv from 20 years ago — really?), but more importantly, please elaborate with actual evidence rather than snark. 

Nothing says he’s average given the craptastic bills’ o-line and league-wide ypc averages since 2019. Recall that Gore averaged 3.6 ypc in 2019.

Ok. 

Singletary runs against light boxes, which is a big part of why he has a strong YPC.. and yes, he is slippery and elusive. 

That said .. He’s a mediocre receiving back, does not have breakaway speed, fumbles at a high rate and isn’t a power back capable of taking short yardage situations away from Allen consistently. 

If we’re going to spend on a RB in FA, he has to take wear and tear off Allen.   Singletary does not do that. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

Gore got a ton of 3rd and 1/goal line touches, where singletary didn’t.

a lot harder to get good YAC in those scenarios.

Saying his YPC is higher because he runs against light boxes and doesn’t get goal line touches aren’t good reasons? Ok lol. Those are perfectly legit reasons

Over hundreds of carries, it all averages out. Trust me. The sample size with Singletary (672 carries) is huge at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Ok. 

Singletary runs against light boxes, which is a big part of why he has a strong YPC.. and yes, he is slippery and elusive. 

That said .. He’s a mediocre receiving back, does not have breakaway speed, fumbles at a high rate and isn’t a power back capable of taking short yardage situations away from Allen consistently. 

If we’re going to spend on a RB in FA, he has to take wear and tear off Allen.   Singletary does not do that. 

Evidence of light boxes vs what the chiefs’ and bengals’ backs run against? Do people watch other teams?

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think I gave some fair reasons why his YPC is inflated a bit. Anyways, Just my opinion.

All good if you disagree. Good thread topic

Appreciate your thoughts but not sure his YPC is inflated. The amount of poorly blocked plays totally blown up was really high. I suggest he had multiple 2-3 yard gains that were impressive runs. I think the YPC with his volume speaks to what it is. He’s a fairly elusive back with a well above average YPC. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd be shocked at this point if Singletary doesn't come back on a team friendly deal. RB's aren't banking their estimated values to begin with and he's running out of options with the amount of them that have been signed already.

Whether simply running back what we had last season is the right move or not is debatable. But I think the writing is on the wall that that's what we're going to do.

I’d be shocked at this point if he does.

What value does he bring to our team? He’s not a special teamer. He’s not a good short yardage back. He’s not a great pass blocker. He’s not big enough to wear down defenses.

There a loads of guys who can do these things VERY well and THAT is the skill set we need.

If we re-sign Singletary, is the idea that we would have Cook, Singletary, Hines AND a power back in the backfield or do you just not want a power back on the team?

It seems like a bad fit. Say what you want about the player, but we don’t need his skill set.

• Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Yes, Chiefs backs also run against light boxes.   Why is that relevant to re-signing Singletary?

Because he’s above average even when factoring in the offense the Bills run. Is he truly elite? No, but he is better than average and the Bills should be spending their picks/money on receivers and o-line. Plus he knows the offense and Allen trusts him, which are no small things.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rigotz said:

What value does he bring to our team? He’s not a special teamer. He’s not a good short yardage back. He’s not a great pass blocker. He’s not big enough to wear down defenses.

There a loads of guys who can do these things VERY well and THAT is the skill set we need.

If we re-sign Singletary, is the idea that we would have Cook, Singletary, Hines AND a power back in the backfield or do you just not want a power back on the team?

It seems like a bad fit. Say what you want about the player, but we don’t need his skill set.

No one on any team cares whether he can play ST. That is a red herring.

It’s important to note that Devon did extremely well giving the limited amount of calories that he got and the blocking that was in front of them

I just don’t think this is a position where we should be spending money, especially not big money. This is a good draft for running backs nice cost control contracts.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s important to note that Devon did extremely well giving the limited amount of calories that he got and the blocking that was in front of them

I just don’t think this is a position where we should be spending money, especially not big money. This is a good draft for running backs nice cost control contracts.

I didn't know that he was on a low carb/low carries diet. 😆

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just don’t think that he’s the type of back that the bills are looking for

And it’s not that he’s not good he’s just not a pounder

James Cook replicates a lot of what he does

No way I bring back Singletary.  He's not a power or speed back. Jamaal Williams is gone so we need a goaline/ 4th & 1 back. These guys are signing so maybe we wait till the draft?

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No one on any team cares whether he can play ST. That is a red herring.

Did you create this thread just to argue with people? You’re not understanding my point.

His skill set provides nothing that the team wouldn’t have by adding a power back and playing Cook in tandem. There are limited roster spots available and if he doesn’t even play special teams, there is zero reason to sign him.

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ok. 

I agree about his receiving ability, but he’s actually become a pretty damn good “desperation” blocker (ie, when Saffold or Brown whiffs completely and he has to deal with the consequences). That’s no small thing. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No way I bring back Singletary.  He's not a power or speed back. Jamaal Williams is gone so we need a goaline/ 4th & 1 back. These guys are signing so maybe we wait till the draft?

Jamaal Williams had 17 tds because he ran it from the 1-2 yard line 15 times. Rushing tds is the most overrated stat of all time.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree about his receiving ability, but he’s actually become a pretty damn good “desperation” blocker (ie, when Saffold or Brown whiffs completely and he has to deal with the consequences). That’s no small thing. 

Not a small thing true, but I think Cook can do that. Think and know are 2 different things I get it.

But I'd rather use that RB spot in a big body back that can get 1-2 yards 90+% of the time. Sucks knowing Allen is our best short yardage back.

4 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Did you create this thread just to argue with people? You’re not understanding my point.

His skill set provides nothing that the team wouldn’t have by adding a power back and playing Cook in tandem. There are limited roster spots available and if he doesn’t even play special teams, there is zero reason to sign him.

No, not at all. You are the one who brought up ST play for a putative starter. It’s not relevant to the conversation. As for Singletary, the numbers are the numbers, and to quote @BADOLBILZ, beyond 4 ypc, RBs make their own yards. He’s been at 4.6 and above his entire career.

Edited by dave mcbride

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I agree that he comes back if he takes a league minimum type deal but not much more since we have more pressing needs for our dollars.

Consider that BB just brought in a pass blocking OG in FA. While I don’t think the RB’s have been the issue he may since he didn’t bring in a mauler OG. So does he draft the short yardage RB or get cheap via FA?
Seems based on that he’s looking not to bring back Motor. Even though I’ve posted above why I really like Motor. And I would like him back. But BB first signing makes me think they won’t. Hope that makes sense 😀

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Jamaal Williams had 17 tds because he ran it from the 1-2 yard line 15 times. Rushing tds is the most overrated stat of all time.

And the Lions have a very good run OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.