Singletary—inarguably above average statistically: discuss

dave mcbride

Singletary has averaged 4.7 ypc for his career (and 4.7 in 2022) and the league average in the years he has played is between 4.3 and 4.4 (trust me, but look it up if you doubt me: https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/league-average-yards-per-carry-by-running-backs-2022).  Since he has entered the league, he has always been above league average. And lest you think any RB can average these numbers, Frank Gore averaged 3.6 ypc in 2019 for the Bills (a year in which Allen had 510 yards rushing and nearly 5 ypc). Point is, the grass ain’t always greener.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I'd be shocked at this point if Singletary doesn't come back on a team friendly deal. RB's aren't banking their estimated values to begin with and he's running out of options with the amount of them that have been signed already.

Whether simply running back what we had last season is the right move or not is debatable. But I think the writing is on the wall that that's what we're going to do.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Decent back, but lacks that breakaway speed which will always keep him at slightly above average.  As a rule, you shouldn't pay big money to backs to begin with no matter how good they are.  While I like Motor just fine, the fact is he's replaceable just like most backs in this league.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I just don’t think that he’s the type of back that the bills are looking for

And it’s not that he’s not good he’s just not a pounder

James Cook replicates a lot of what he does

Cook has burst and Singletary has legit wiggle. They are not the same. The two are different backs without question.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just don’t think that he’s the type of back that the bills are looking for

And it’s not that he’s not good he’s just not a pounder

James Cook replicates a lot of what he does

No, they are very, very different backs. Wiggle/vision between the tackles vs burst in space. I regard this as an obvious difference between the two but am willing to listen alternative views.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Singletary has averaged 4.7 ypc for his career (and 4.7 in 2022) and the league average in the years he has played is between 4.3 and 4.4 (trust me, but look it up if you doubt me: https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/league-average-yards-per-carry-by-running-backs-2022).  Since he has entered the league, he has always been above league average. And lest you think any RB can average these numbers, Frank Gore averaged 3.6 ypc in 2019 for the Bills (a year in which Allen had 510 yards rushing and nearly 5 ypc). Point is, the grass ain’t always greener.

Don’t care, don’t want him back.

He stood in the way of Cook this season and McDermott / Dorsey can’t help themselves and would play him above Cook again next year. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Decent back, but lacks that breakaway speed which will always keep him at slightly above average.  As a rule, you shouldn't pay big money to backs to begin with no matter how good they are.  While I like Motor just fine, the fact is he's replaceable just like most backs in this league.

The numbers are the numbers. Just sayin.’

I would say he’s an average back at best.

His YPC are a bit inflated IMO as he runs against a lot of light boxes and doesn’t get a ton of 3rd and shorts/goal line touches. (He did get more in 2022)

I do like his game as he plays tough. But he definitely has some flaws. (Fumbling, no break away speed)

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Office No GIF

Not remotely funny (network tv from 20 years ago — really?), but more importantly, please elaborate with actual evidence rather than snark. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I would say he’s an average back at best.

His YPC are a bit inflated IMO as he runs against a lot of light boxes, and doesn’t get a ton of 3rd and shorts/goal line touches. (He did get more in 2022)

I do like his game as he plays tough. But he definitely has some flaws. (Fumbling, no break away speed)

Nothing says he’s average given the craptastic bills’ o-line and league-wide ypc averages since 2019. Recall that Gore averaged 3.6 ypc in 2019.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Nothing says he’s average given the craptastic bills’ o-line and league-wide ypc averages since 2019.

I think I gave some fair reasons why his YPC is inflated a bit. Anyways, Just my opinion.

All good if you disagree. Good thread topic

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Singletary gets yards against teams playing the pass.    

Gore averaged 3.6 against the same teams and the chiefs’ ypc since 2019 is under 4.7. Come up with a more empirically sound argument.

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. Exactly what I said above, he runs against a lot of light boxes which helps his YAC

See above.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

This isn’t an argument. Elaborate, please.

I think that speaks to the fact he’s a smart veteran in particular in pass protection. Cook needs to work on that area of his game and likely will improve with experience.
I personally think the short yardage issue is more OL push on obvious short yardage vs our RB’s. We had the big short yardage guy in Moss. Even Josh on sneaks seems to have to fight and claw for a yard. Motor back at a good value is fine. Or draft the big Texas RB in the late rounds. Unless OL improves not sure it will matter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.