I’d like to advocate some opinions on contracts, especially in regards to Edmunds’.

Tipster19

It'll be fascinating to see where Edmunds' career goes from here, he's a fine young man coming into his prime.  I hope his new role is more of an OLB and not the heart of the defense.

How do turn the heart of your defense over to a 20 year old kid, regardless of his measurables?  That was IMO a big mistake from McD.  Edmunds is not a physical LB, which was shamefully disregarded.  They asked too much from Edmunds early on, IMO.

That being said, watching him play, Edmunds has always been lacking that insatiable fire to knife to the ball at all costs that you expect from any top LB.

He did better last year, but still not commensurate with the contract he received.  So I wish the Bills would have handled him differently but I agree with their ultimate decision. 

I wish him well and hope the change enables him to become the dominant LB everyone imagines in him.

17 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

It'll be fascinating to see where Edmunds' career goes from here, he's a fine young man coming into his prime.  I hope his new role is more of an OLB and not the heart of the defense.

How do turn the heart of your defense over to a 20 year old kid, regardless of his measurables?  That was IMO a big mistake from McD.  Edmunds is not a physical LB, which was shamefully disregarded.  They asked too much from Edmunds early on, IMO.

That being said, watching him play, Edmunds has always been lacking that insatiable fire to knife to the ball at all costs that you expect from any top LB.

He did better last year, but still not commensurate with the contract he received.  So I wish the Bills would have handled him differently but I agree with their ultimate decision. 

I wish him well and hope the change enables him to become the dominant LB everyone imagines in him.

I think he’s going to do fantastic not because he’s going to go somewhere and magically become better at what he did here but because he’s going to be properly used for his skill set

Don’t know that it’s going to equate more wins for the Bears though but that page is flipped. We are the bills not the Bears. Good luck to him time to focus on us.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree a bit. Caps are yelling at me!!! 😂 cheers 🍻 and happy St Pats ☘️ 

I just feel frustrated on this topic cause I got harassed on this same thing last year and now that its turned, its like "well why didn't we do this or that" frustrating. sorry about caps.

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I just feel frustrated on this topic cause I got harassed on this same thing last year and now that its turned, its like "well why didn't we do this or that" frustrating. sorry about caps.

All good. You’re right in the sense he got too expensive. We shall see how the Bills fill his spot. It’s the single biggest concern outside of OL improvement. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

All good. You’re right in the sense he got too expensive. We shall see how the Bills fill his spot. It’s the single biggest concern outside of OL improvement. 

I think we replace with a slower "smarter" vet that maybe reads plays better than Edmunds did... 

I don't think Beane did anything wrong in drafting Edmunds.  You can't re-sign everybody.  I don't blame him for not extending Edmunds in year three either.

I was pounding the table last year though pushing for an Edmunds trade.  We could've used the draft pick to draft a replacement, and it would've freed up a ton of much needed cap space for this year.

I think Beane is about to do the same thing with Ed Oliver that he did with Edmunds.  Another great player that the Bills absolutely can not afford next year.  So why not trade him now and free up $11mil in cap space.  

Beane is a very good GM.  In my opinion the single best we've had since I became a Bills fan.  But sometimes I think he keeps a player 1 year too long when the goal should be if anything to get rid of players 1 year too early.  Especially now that we have a franchise QB contract and need to be more diligent with cap space.  

Next year we're 18 million over the cap, need to add two draft classes and 10-12 players to the roster at vet minimum so basically 30+mil over the cap before signing Daquan Jones, Hyde, Davis, or Oliver.  And there are no Allen/Miller/Diggs restructures this time.  Anyone disappointed that we lost Edmunds this year might be REALLY disappointed in the next 1-2 years.  IMO Hines/Settle/Neal/Oliver all should've been gone this year so we can hopefully bring back players like Jones/Hyde next year instead of losing them to free agency next.    

Edited by Adam727
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.