Damar Hamlin EXPECTED BACK!

DrDawkinstein

8 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

what will the media ramifications be if Damar was released? with Hyde, Poyer, and Rapp, Benford possibly, I can see been drafting a safety or picking one up off the waiver wire. Hamlin has a great story but ultimately isnt that great of a player at an aging position.  

I think much more likely, unless he’s trying to play elsewhere, they’d IR him to give him his third year accrual 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, bubba_2ba said:

Sure, there are shady charities.. and CharityWatch is an estimable organization that I endorse...

...however...

...the example given was "Jessica Lunsfords dad".  Seeing that juxtaposed with Damar's  charity doesn't make you a bit uncomfortable?

uncomfortable? Not really. Maybe he used a more unseemly example for effect but doesn’t bother me - the point was charities are not always on the level and can be abused. 

In any case, I’m not involved in that back and forth - I responded to somebody else asking specifically about Damar’s foundation. 

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

uncomfortable? Not really. Maybe he used a more unseemly example for effect but doesn’t bother me - the point was charities are not always on the level and can be abused. 

In any case, I’m not involved in that back and forth - I responded to somebody else asking specifically about Damar’s foundation. 

i chose a tragic charity where it's just a regular dude who got the chance to be launched on a non prof stage and where he took it. this was one of the most egregious i know of and i used it to relate because peopel remember this case and the fall out.

regardless, i can give lots of examples of charities i've worked with bending rules, breaking ethics, and doing backdoor grafting behaviors to benefits friends etc.

i loathe non profs.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic news, but you know everyone is going to be holding his/her breath until Damar makes/takes that first big hit.

Hope he is back 100% physically AND mentally (which may be the larger hurdle).

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, eball said:

Fantastic news, but you know everyone is going to be holding his/her breath until Damar makes/takes that first big hit.

This is such awesome news, but I must be in the minority... I literally have zero concern about him and this happening again.  If what the doctors tell us is correct, and it was truly a wildly random chance within a chance within a chance that this could happen, what is there to be worried about for us watching?   I get the mental hurdle for him, but it seems just as likely that this could happen to anyone else in the NFL as it could Damar again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I get the mental hurdle for him, but it seems just as likely that this could happen to anyone else in the NFL as it could Damar again. 

Hmmm....before DH, it had never happened to any other player in 100+ years of NFL football being played. And honestly, the hit that DH took to the chest was not really a "viscous hit." As others have said, the mental aspect of it will be huge. I can't imagine him playing without a little voice in the back of his head saying "be careful about taking a hard hit to the chest." We shall see though, I guess.

Feel good story!

Reality is, he was not very good in coverage. He only looked ok next to Johnson who was atrocious. He's a solid hitter and is solid depth if either starter misses some time. In fact he was good enough that hopefully they rotate him in during the year to decrease the reps Poyer and Hyde take to keep fresh for late season.

I don't know.  If it were me, I'd be worried that it being one in a million, yet a pretty standard tackle, that there might be something to it being a strange personal medical issue.  At the same time, I'm super happy he is going to get to do what he loves, and make a good living doing it.  Welcome back, Damar.  Go get em!

8 hours ago, eball said:

It’s going to be a bit spooky watching that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd big hit, lots of us will be squirming in our seats watching those moments, 

Go Bills, Go Damar! 

1 hour ago, Kiva said:

Just make a stipulation in his contract that if he has another medical issue, we will finish the game regardless of his condition.  No more sacrificing the season for a feel good story. 

Perhaps the Bills would have a Lombardi if Damar's 2022 contract had included that clause.  Should all players contracts include that stipulation? 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Feel good story!

Reality is, he was not very good in coverage. He only looked ok next to Johnson who was atrocious. He's a solid hitter and is solid depth if either starter misses some time. In fact he was good enough that hopefully they rotate him in during the year to decrease the reps Poyer and Hyde take to keep fresh for late season.

Nobody was gonna look good next to Johnson

13 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Perhaps the Bills would have a Lombardi if Damar's 2022 contract had included that clause.  Should all players contracts include that stipulation? 

Chances were much better. 1st round bye and much easier path to Super Bowl. Yea, his injury completely derailed our season. Yes all players should have that stipulation. A better course would be Any player with a “pre-existing condition” should be banned from the NFL. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.