Damar Hamlin EXPECTED BACK!

DrDawkinstein

On 3/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

"intention"...lots of wiggle room there. first of all its in his best interest to recover while an nfl player under their medical plan. he may or may not already know the risks and likelihood of playing again, but no reason to make any announcements now. 

who knows, he may or may not get doctors approval after his recovery is complete to play again.

who knows, even if he gets doctors approval for full nfl contact, he may or may not want to except the risk of playing and have this happen again

at this point, its all about completing rehab and further evaluations ...i have yet to hear him say they have ruled out any and all pre-existing conditions and his heart is 100% strong and normal. that the chances of this happening again to him,  is no greater than the rest of the players in the league

just my opinion, i have the impression, he will never play football again. his calling in life will be his foundation to help kids. but, anything is possible

having said that, if he gets medically cleared and he wants to give it a go...god bless him

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I believe it's recognition of the same issue that likely caused Hamlin's heart issue is most prevalent in youth sports. Dozens of kids a year die when struck in that particular way with a baseball, softball, knee, whatever in just the right spot. Kids are obviously smaller and less developed physically and therefore at higher risk.

They make this device for youth (and adults too) to wear around their chest to protect from hits. I saw it at Sports Authority (before they went out of business):

HartPad_675x530_4__96537.1526844167.1280

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Hey, as long as you're a Bills fan, you're good in my book! 😃

as many differences as we all have - it's nice to share something in common. evidently it's not good enough we all agree on the best team in the world!

people get way too serious about too many things to be able to take things lightly and it sucks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Hamlin is a mascot at this point. There's zero chance he plays this year and very slim that he ever plays. Do you think he wants to make $700k as a 3rd string safety? His future is like Kapernick, he can make more money doing appearances like today

• Vomit 1

17 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Hamlin is a mascot at this point. There's zero chance he plays this year and very slim that he ever plays. Do you think he wants to make $700k as a 3rd string safety? His future is like Kapernick, he can make more money doing appearances like today

OK, let's break this down.

Hamlin wasn't the 3rd string safety, he was the leading backup before he went down.

He made $1.45M last season (with playing time bonuses)

He is scheduled to make $940k this season and $1.055M next season. 

Granted these amounts aren't hugely higher, but they are higher than $700k - between 34% and 200% higher, which is real $ to most of us

I don't know if Damar's appearances pay, or what appearances pay, but those $$ seem high for appearance money for medical groups like AHA, and his appearances aren't likely to last as next season rolls on.

We don't know (and probably Hamlin doesn't know) if he can play again.  Still completing medical evaluations and follow ups, probably still working with a pulmonologist to try to improve lung function and capacity, then he needs to get back into his best football shape and see if he still has it, athletically.  Then there's the mental aspect - can he cheerfully deal out and receive hits after what he went through?  Does he want to?

We don't know how the Bills view him relative to Rapp, but like any elite athlete (and make no mistake - backups and PS guys in the NFL are very elite athletes), if he does play, doubt Hamlin is conceding he's 3rd string to Rapp.

I think if there were genuinely zero chance, he'd know it and McDermott would know it and they'd just announce it.  JMO.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

OK, let's break this down.

Hamlin wasn't the 3rd string safety, he was the leading backup before he went down.

He made $1.45M last season (with playing time bonuses)

He is scheduled to make $940k this season and $1.055M next season. 

Granted these amounts aren't hugely higher, but they are higher than $700k - between 34% and 200% higher, which is real $ to most of us

I don't know if Damar's appearances pay, or what appearances pay, but those $$ seem high for appearance money for medical groups like AHA, and his appearances aren't likely to last as next season rolls on.

We don't know (and probably Hamlin doesn't know) if he can play again.  Still completing medical evaluations and follow ups, probably still working with a pulmonologist to try to improve lung function and capacity, then he needs to get back into his best football shape and see if he still has it, athletically.  Then there's the mental aspect - can he cheerfully deal out and receive hits after what he went through?  Does he want to?

We don't know how the Bills view him relative to Rapp, but like any elite athlete (and make no mistake - backups and PS guys in the NFL are very elite athletes), if he does play, doubt Hamlin is conceding he's 3rd string to Rapp.

I think if there were genuinely zero chance, he'd know it and McDermott would know it and they'd just announce it.  JMO.

Reasoned analysis.   A sip of water in the desert of hot takes.

On 3/31/2023 at 1:40 PM, chongli said:

They make this device for youth (and adults too) to wear around their chest to protect from hits. I saw it at Sports Authority (before they went out of business):

HartPad_675x530_4__96537.1526844167.1280

I've seen kids wear this in youth baseball and softball games.

Usually pitchers and infielders were this incase they are struck in the chest by a hard line drive.

Hamlin may need this

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:04 AM, Airseven said:

What actually happened with Hamlin’s donation money? Did any media follow that $9 million? Thanks in advance.

while the entity has been a registered not-for-profit in PA for a few years, it has only recently (Jan 2023) formally organized the fund and secured a charitable sponsor to help organize everything, including registering with the IRS. So I doubt much of the money has been distributed to anyone yet. But go ahead and insinuate all you want.

https://www.charitywatch.org/charity-donating-articles/damar-hamlins-chasing-ms-foundation-what-to-know

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/31/2023 at 1:00 PM, chongli said:

No, it was just a post I saw on PFT about a Hamlin recognition, and I researched it more to get the original sources (which happened to be a POTUS tweet). I didn't want to start a new thread just for this; so I posted it here. No politics at all---how is this political?? This is nuts.

I had no idea that a simple Biden tweet (whom I don't follow, btw) about a non-controversial issue (AED's and CPR) and a Hamlin recognition would bring out divisiveness on a sports forum. People everywhere (not referring to you) need to stop being so political and divisive about everything. This is a sports forum. My only concern is the Bills winning the SB and Bills players representing along the journey. 

100% agree.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:04 AM, Airseven said:

What actually happened with Hamlin’s donation money? Did any media follow that $9 million? Thanks in advance.

You could google search this for yourself... but if you want stories about an NFL players using their charities for personal gain...

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/tom-brady-allegedly-used-his-charitys-funds-to-pay-for-his-for-profit-company/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brett-favre-scandal-explained-ex-nfl-qb-is-accused-of-misusing-of-mississippi-state-welfare-funds/

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, bubba_2ba said:

That's the backbone of Non Profs my friend. They are great avenues for income to make people stacks of money. Jessica Lunsfords dad is a millionaire a few times over to head her Non profit, for example. 

On 3/31/2023 at 8:52 PM, KDIGGZ said:

Your first sentence is one of the most disgusting, cynical things I’ve ever seen written.

• Disagree 1

what will the media ramifications be if Damar was released? with Hyde, Poyer, and Rapp, Benford possibly, I can see been drafting a safety or picking one up off the waiver wire. Hamlin has a great story but ultimately isnt that great of a player at an aging position.  

54 minutes ago, bubba_2ba said:

so... have you google'd Damar's non-profit? 

Jessica Lunsford... <sigh>... did Q tell you about this?  Please link a citation for Mark Lunsford's net worth... and how he's trafficking adrenochrome to Hillary and Obama.

I mean, he is right about a lot of charities being shady. That’s why orgs like CharityWatch exist. 

There’s been nothing untoward about Hamlin’s charity yet. I doubt they’ve even used any of the money at this point. Up until his injury it was a simple gofundme with a goal of $2,500 to be used to buy some kids presents at Christmas. Now they have $9mil to manage and from reports (from CharityWatch, see my link above) he and his people are going through the proper steps to manage those kinds of donations. 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

I mean, he is right about a lot of charities being shady. That’s why orgs like CharityWatch exist. 

There’s been nothing untoward about Hamlin’s charity yet. I doubt they’ve even used any of the money at this point. Up until his injury it was a simple gofundme with a goal of $2,500 to be used to buy some kids presents at Christmas. Now they have $9mil to manage and from reports (from CharityWatch, see my link above) he and his people are going through the proper steps to manage those kinds of donations. 

Sure, there are shady charities.. and CharityWatch is an estimable organization that I endorse...

...however...

...the example given was "Jessica Lunsfords dad".  Seeing that juxtaposed with Damar's  charity doesn't make you a bit uncomfortable?

Edited by bubba_2ba

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.