Damar Hamlin EXPECTED BACK!

DrDawkinstein

18 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I thought Hamlin was pretty good last year.  Not great, but showed some promise.  Definitely happy to have him back as depth.

It's not realistic to have starter-caliber players as backups at every position.  Hamlin is a solid backup player who knows the system and is on a cheap 6th-round rookie contract.  He also seems to be a good character guy.  I'd welcome him back if he is fully cleared by the doctors.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ngbills said:

Nice story. At best he is a back up S. 

18 hours ago, Airseven said:

Perhaps best that everyone moves on from this in separate directions.

You two need to get a room.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Now tell me about Poyer and Hyde's first few years in the league. Heck, do Poyer's first FOUR years in the league when he couldnt crack the starting lineup of the Cleveland Browns, even when they went 4-28 over his last 2 years.

Hamlin should be the backup this year, to learn behind Poyer and Hyde. But for a 2nd year guy last year, I thought he played as well as could be expected and where he should be in his development.

Johnson on the other hand, needs to be straight up cut. That was his 4th season and it was BRUTAL.

I can easily tolerate the Bills keeping Hamlin in his backup role. Albeit not great but I can see him improve.  And as for Johnson I would've cut him ages ago. He is flat out awful in every aspect of safety play.

19 hours ago, ngbills said:

Nice story. At best he is a back up S. 

Yeah.  He's done nothing to demonstrate starter potential.  He's a better backup than Jaquan Johnson though.  If the Bills pick up another safety and Hamlin is able to come back next season, Johnson is the guy I'd cut.

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

My stance is that I would have understood if he never played again after what he went through.

I still think we draft a guy in the later rounds

"I understand if he never plays again" and "I hope he doesn't play again" are worlds apart, and there seem to be way too many in the latter camp for some reason.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/16/2023 at 9:04 PM, Airseven said:

I think he’s more of a distraction than a health risk. That story got so far off the rails…

But that isn’t Damar Hamlin’s fault. There isn’t a single person on this board that wouldn’t take the opportunities offered to him because of what happened. It will help him potentially when his professional football career is over. I don’t get the Buffalo Bills fans wanting to punish him with distraction. Sean “Mr 13 seconds” McDermott is a distraction for not taking responsibility for losing the Kansas City Chiefs playoff game throwing anyone under the bus for self job preservation. If a Buffalo Bills fans want to talk about real distractions. Damar Hamlin had a freak play that was one in a million chance it will happen a second time. If Damar Hamlin passes the physical sure why not. If it’s his play in training camp fine cut him but distraction isn’t valid excuse because he isn’t a distraction. Terry Pegula is another distraction wanting $850 million dollars along with PSL’s if we want to talk about Buffalo Bills distraction with his sick cheapness to insisted on playing outside in the snowy Buffalo winter along with expensive PSL’s to pay for a seat license we already paid for when we bought a Bills football ticket read the back of a ticket it says this is a license so we pay twice Terry Pegula is the biggest distraction of all the Buffalo Bills the bum in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Dislike 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:25 PM, BeastMaster said:

Not a good player, and is a major health risk

I'd wish him well and let him know that we will be releasing him

Yep!  Well, not the health risk part, but he's not very good.

I wonder when enough time will have passed for this to be an acceptable comment here at TBD!

LMAO

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Johnson on the other hand, needs to be straight up cut. That was his 4th season and it was BRUTAL.

No need to cut him. He's a Free Agent and I don't see them jumping through hoops to re-sign him. And for good reason. They preferred putting converted CB Cam Lewis in his place.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Yep!  Well, not the health risk part, but he's not very good.

I wonder when enough time will have passed for this to be an acceptable comment here at TBD!

LMAO

Is he Poyer or Hyde? No. But to say he's not very good isn't fair. For a 2nd year Safety who barely saw the field and was getting his first real action, he was doing a good enough job to be 2nd on the team in tackles and the team was 10-3 with him playing 100% of the snaps.

You can do a LOT worse than him at Backup Safety, as we saw with guys like Jaquan Johnson, Cam Lewis, and Dean Marlowe. And he has room to grow into a better player than he already is.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:03 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

Commotio Cordis. Classic case.

That's pure speculation, his cause had never been started and when asked point blank in the Strahan interview he declined to answer.

And it's not classic, it's exceptionally rare. 

I thought mods were removing speculation/misinformation on this incident?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

That's pure speculation, his cause had never been started and when asked point blank in the Strahan interview he declined to answer.

And it's not classic, it's exceptionally rare. 

I thought mods were removing speculation/misinformation on this incident?

Oh, I see. Report the posts then, and take your temper tantrum to PPP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

That's awesome & i heard on 1 Bills live that his play last year warranted him $650k bonus last season so he will be a welcome sight in more than 1 way to the Bills to know they have him back & is a player that can pull his weight in the locker room & on the field . 🙌

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 12:41 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Now tell me about Poyer and Hyde's first few years in the league. Heck, do Poyer's first FOUR years in the league when he couldnt crack the starting lineup of the Cleveland Browns, even when they went 4-28 over his last 2 years.

Hamlin should be the backup this year, to learn behind Poyer and Hyde. But for a 2nd year guy last year, I thought he played as well as could be expected and where he should be in his development.

No need to cut Jaquan Johnson.   As you noted, it was his 4th season.  He was a FA, and we moved on.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Agreed but I wonder what changed in the last 2 years where there is concern a healthy kid is going to have a heart attack. And it's not covid.. The "safe and effective " treatment of covid.. 

I believe it's recognition of the same issue that likely caused Hamlin's heart issue is most prevalent in youth sports. Dozens of kids a year die when struck in that particular way with a baseball, softball, knee, whatever in just the right spot. Kids are obviously smaller and less developed physically and therefore at higher risk. Having the equipment and training available within minutes may save lives, in addition to the random teacher or janitor having a coronary attack. 

Look, I don't know if it's a good idea relative to cost or not (there are lots of things to spend money on to save lives or prevent accidents) but I think Hamlin's situation raised awareness of this issue, and therefore dialogue on it is natural. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

or just saying no to the insertion of a politically charged topic being interjected to this discussion, which is what i took it for?

i took it as being a protest to bring this topic to a political discussion involving POTUS. i am against that.

No, it was just a post I saw on PFT about a Hamlin recognition, and I researched it more to get the original sources (which happened to be a POTUS tweet). I didn't want to start a new thread just for this; so I posted it here. No politics at all---how is this political?? This is nuts.

I had no idea that a simple Biden tweet (whom I don't follow, btw) about a non-controversial issue (AED's and CPR) and a Hamlin recognition would bring out divisiveness on a sports forum. People everywhere (not referring to you) need to stop being so political and divisive about everything. This is a sports forum. My only concern is the Bills winning the SB and Bills players representing along the journey. 

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

No, it was just a post I saw on PFT about a Hamlin recognition, and I researched it more to get the original sources (which happened to be a POTUS tweet). I didn't want to start a new thread just for this; so I posted it here. No politics at all---how is this political?? This is nuts.

I had no idea that a simple Biden tweet (whom I don't follow, btw) about a non-controversial issue (AED's and CPR) and a Hamlin recognition would bting out divisiveness on a sports forum. People everywhere (not referring to you) need to stop being so political and divisive about everythung. This is a sports forum. My only concern is the Bills winning the SB and Bills players representing along the journey 

Sadly, amongst many it will. i would get drawn into it too, so i'm not innocent either lol

but yeah, its gotten old that people like to beat their chest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The thing I don't get is, if ... in the mindset of an owner of a company that employs people in a physical labor area.....What about liability? How do you insure a person like this?....and what are the chances of mental and physical recovery that warrant the position and salary?

I had to change careers 3 times due to injuries/surgeries.

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

Sadly, amongst many it will. i would get drawn into it too, so i'm not innocent either lol

but yeah, its gotten old that people like to beat their chest.

Hey, as long as you're a Bills fan, you're good in my book! 😃

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.