At this stage, what would you consider a successful Free Agency prior to the draft?

Wizard

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is where you need to do a little bit of critical thinking

He’s not a strong pass blocker. He’s one of the best pass blockers doesn’t allow sacks doesn’t take penalties.

What do we do on this offense?  We pass the ball a ton.

Not only was it a great pick up but we got him for about $3 million less than what the other guards were going for

Look less at the name on the back of the jersey and more at the attributes

Agee with most of this. But it appears that BB is searching for a short yardage RB. While at the same time improving the pass blocking on the OL. Seems as if he feels a bruising RB will create his own holes more than Motor JA or Moss former bruising back. Not sure if that will actually work 🤷🏻‍♂️

38 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

F.  we keep getting average players to plug holes, win’t cut it with Bean’s awful draft record.  The WR signing was a total waste of money that could go to OL.  

who did we get at backup qb?  

So an explosive WR with great numbers per play and now with a top QB is a waste ? Hmmm we did get a pass blocking OG. And I’m thinking BB will add an OT in some way. 
BB is an awful drafter ? Well he’s certainly had some hits and misses. But awful is bit of a stretch. 
Kyle Allen is the QB. 

I want a high-end starting guard. I assume that's probably Seumalo, but I can't say I've seen much of him and will have to trust others. I also want to swing a trade for a legit #2 WR, but I assume that's mutually exclusive with a high end guard.

I'd draft a RT. 

A MAJOR upgrade on the OL. We were a bottom 5 unit last year. That just not gonna get us a Lombardi Trophy. Signing McGovern doesn't significantly change that ranking. We need to do MUCH more either in FA or the draft. If we don't pick OL in round 1, I'm writing off any realistic chance to leapfrog KC and Cincinnati. In fact, we may drop below 3rd best team in the AFC. If that happens, it will have a very negative affect on this team's morale in the future. That pummeling by the Bengals already took its toll on how this team is perceived.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I'd love to be a a fly in the office hearing names , if I'm giving out names I'd contact the Minnesota Vikings and see if we can't work a Deal for RT Brian O'Neil, They're over the cap and after next season Darrisaw will be commanding a huge contract. The Vikings are sellers right now and I think we can swing something, he's 27 and signed until 2026. He's had maybe sackwise his worst season with 6 sacks but with statue Cousins back there I'm not holding it aginst him but he has excellent blocking grades. 

I'd be ecstatic if we landed O'Neil! Let Brown be a swing tackle or move inside and compete for a starting job. That would really send a positive message to the locker room -- especially to Josh.

6 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

F.  we keep getting average players to plug holes, win’t cut it with Bean’s awful draft record.  The WR signing was a total waste of money that could go to OL.  

Kyle Allen

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

A MAJOR upgrade on the OL. We were a bottom 5 unit last year. That just not gonna get us a Lombardi Trophy. Signing McGovern doesn't significantly change that ranking. We need to do MUCH more either in FA or the draft. If we don't pick OL in round 1, I'm writing off any realistic chance to leapfrog KC and Cincinnati. In fact, we may drop below 3rd best team in the AFC. If that happens, it will have a very negative affect on this team's morale in the future. That pummeling by the Bengals already took its toll on how this team is perceived.

Every year decent lineman come from the middle rounds

What I don’t wanna see is it being an afterthought at the end of the draft?

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

How do the Bills fit Hopkins in to their cap?

They have $9M now per Beane, but rookie contracts have to come out of that and whatever is set aside for IR he said.

Oliver gets you $10M, but how does DHop fit?

Cutting McKenzie saves $2.3M, extend DaQuan frees up a couple million? Now you’re restructuring Dawkins or cutting Morse or something like that? 

Those moves not including morse would free up around 22 million. They can do it, but I dont see it. Jeudy would be more relastic. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Those moves not including morse would free up around 22 million. They can do it, but I dont see it. Jeudy would be more relastic. 

Frankly, the Jj move makes sense to me

Young

Not expensive except for the draft pick

You get him and then you got a receiving corps that pushes Gabe Davis to the third position then you have mighty Smurf that you just bought in for the fourth wide receiver. McKenzie gets cut.

It also protects you if you can’t sign Gabe Davis to reasonable contract next year

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Wizard said:

Resign Special Teams/Cheap Backup Process Guys: Check 

Resign Poyer: Surprising Check

Sign an average OL: Check

Sign a cheap backup QB: Check

To Sign List

Bobby Wagner, LB

Trade for Jeudy or M Evans

Wish List

Seamulo or Risner

For me, A successful free agency has to include at least one of the 5 players mentioned from the To Sign or Wish List to get the 2nd receiver, a stronger OL, or a MLB before the draft.

Well, if you have picked out 5 particular players and without getting any of them you decide the Bills have failed, you've pretty much decided they can't be successful in your eyes. 

I'd grade your list as unsuccessful, myself.

A success in my opinion won't be known till the season. The rest of FA is likely to be just what everyone should have expected when looking at our cap condition. A bunch of low- to mid-level guys. That's what it's been so far. I'd expect more of the same.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

This is dumb. Beane's draft record being called "awful" says a lot more about you than it does about him.

He hasn't been great. But he's been good. That's a significant part of the reason we won 13 games.

Edited by Thurman#1

Wagner would make this an ok FA group.  Presumed upgrade at slot WR, upgrade at OG, avoided long term commitment to Edmunds, and get Poyer back for a run at a ring next year.

Still need to lose a couple FA's or Beane will screw up the comp pick again. Singletary and one of the DL guys should get us to net negative.

I will be honest though, it kind of feels like the Bills are stuck and everyone else is getting better around them.  Feels like Green Bay with Rodgers for the last decade.  Obviously the draft can change all that and one big move like a trade for Hopkins can make a massive difference.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.