Beane still looking to add big bodied RB to roster

Inigo Montoya

9 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

He signed back with Cleveland for 2.4 million. I know he’s not as big but I like him. He’s not being aggressive and he throws these wish lists out there to give fans the idea he’s got a plan. We may be in trouble with this guy.

That was last year.  And again they had money to sign any of those guys.  Foreman chose the worst team in the league.  You can't make guys sign with you.

Edited by Doc

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am ok with the Elliot or Fournette idea now. Those guys aren’t my favorite, but they have something to prove, so you get them when their back is against the wall. They will be at their best. 

With each passing day the prices get cheaper and more vets will be released. Remember that their priorities don’t always line up with ours. 

OK, good point but guys are coming off the board that fit the description. What viable big bodied backs are eligible for release. I know of several that have just been resigned. Unless he’s looking to go RB with 27, we’re looking at a bargain basement dumpster dive tomato can. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

That was last year.

You can always count on me for up to date info. Sorry 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

If he’s looking for a big bodied back why didn’t he pull the trigger on Williams, Foreman, Perine . For god’s sake D’Ernest Johnson signed back with Cleveland for a couple million.This guy thinks that these FAs will take less for the privilege of playing in Buffalo. Just go out and get Zeke or trade for someone. I’m losing confidence in Beane with each passing day.

We're talking about filling the #2/#3 RB spot. No need to rush into a desperate deal for 2nd level positions. It'll be fine.

My sights are set on Zeke.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Most draft prognastication websites have Roschon Johnson projected in the third round. 

I did not realize he was that high, he’s probably off the table that early then. I did see the Bills met with Bijan and Roschon though. 

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We're talking about filling the #2/#3 RB spot. No need to rush into a desperate deal for 2nd level positions. It'll be fine.

My sights are set on Zeke.

It’s not only the #2 RB, it’s starting LB, #2 receiver, Edge rusher if Miller isn’t ready. We’re playing defense with free agency instead of aggressively getting difference makers.

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

It’s not only the #2 RB, it’s starting LB, #2 receiver, Edge rusher if Miller isn’t ready. We’re playing defense with free agency instead of aggressively getting difference makers.

"Aggressive" in Free Agency usually means desperate and previously-low-talent with no big spends and lots of cap room, so willing to overspend on players who will never live up to the contract. See: Da Bears, and the Falcons.

Plenty of time and opportunity to cover those needs. I wouldnt call any of them premium positions. Except maybe DE, but we've made enough investment there already. Time for one (or more) of the kids to step up.

If the heading of this post is true i'm glad Beane has finally seen the error of his ways as far as when it comes to picking up a RB either in the draft or in FA because it has seemed to me that he has a love affair with RB's that are 200- Lbs & 5' 9" or less .

In the past he has had in later rounds RB's the likes of AJ Dillon, Brian Robinson, Antonio Gibson, & others that were bigger backs that he could have had at the same pick as a Moss or others but he passed on them at those picks & then we have Gilliam that has shown some flashes but they don't use him more to see if he is that guy .

I just hope they do get a bigger back & decide to actually use them more than a sprinkle here & a dash there Henry would be awesome but there again would he be more of a hood ornament or would he actually be a weapon used or Fornette but he is a lot more iffy IMHO but could be more cost prohibitive as far as the cap if he doesn't go for 1 in the draft .

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

If he’s looking for a big bodied back why didn’t he pull the trigger on Williams, Foreman, Perine . For god’s sake D’Ernest Johnson signed back with Cleveland for a couple million.This guy thinks that these FAs will take less for the privilege of playing in Buffalo. Just go out and get Zeke or trade for someone. I’m losing confidence in Beane with each passing day.

I think they were only interested in Williams. But we're not the only team looking for players, and most other teams have more money.

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

We're doing what we can w/ the money we have.  How many difference makers do you think we can afford?  We picked up a starting guard, and a speedy receiver. As I calculate it, we have room for maybe one more mid-level move.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I think they were only interested in Williams. But we're not the only team looking for players, and most other teams have more money.

No excuses, he freed up enough money to get the guys we need. Keep making excuses for mediocrity and we deserve what we get, which is 0 for the club history SBs.

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

No excuses, he freed up enough money to get the guys we need. Keep making excuses for mediocrity and we deserve what we get, which is 0 for the club history SBs.

It's just reality.  We missed out on one RB; most teams miss out on players in FA.

We also got a starting guard, and a fast receiver.  We'll probably make one more move, either RB or MLB.  But we're working on a tight budget here.  I like how we're looking heading into '23.  I thought we had the best team for the 1st part of '22, until things kind of went off the rails.  

I feel like every team's fanbase feels this way when FA starts, every year - except for the 3-4 teams making the biggest splashes.  It's that "every other team is making moves and we're just sitting there" thing.  If you check other boards, the sentiments are the same.

FA can be very overblown.  The "FA winner" is so rarely the team we see there at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

It's just reality.  We missed out on one RB; most teams miss out on players in FA.

We also got a starting guard, and a fast receiver.  We'll probably make one more move, either RB or MLB.  But we're working on a tight budget here.  I like how we're looking heading into '23.  I thought we had the best team for the 1st part of '22, until things kind of went off the rails.  

I feel like every team's fanbase feels this way when FA starts, every year - except for the 3-4 teams making the biggest splashes.  It's that "every other team is making moves and we're just sitting there" thing.  If you check other boards, the sentiments are the same.

FA can be very overblown.  The "FA winner" is so rarely the team we see there at the end.

Bills fans sound exactly like Chiefs fans, and not as bad as Bengals and Eagles fans who watched their "runner up" teams get decimated by Free Agency.

The Bengals and Eagles would love to be in the Bills position of "retaining our own 'garbage'". Could be far worse.

This is simply life at the top. It's understandable Bills fans arent used to it and dont know how to deal with it.

Even if we had the cash, we could "win the offseason", like the Bears and Falcons (who stink) or the Dolphins (who win the offseason every year, become the media darlings, and then go 9-7).

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Success said:

Eloquently put but we’re not trying to win the off season but trying to replace crucial pieces we lost. KC and Cinn needed to revamp their O-line and got the best FA tackles. We’re just as capable of getting 2 or 3 good players as they are. Hardy was an OK pickup but he’s coming off major injury. We lost arguably our best defensive player and our 20 million edge rusher along with our starting RB. If Hardy works out, he is a slot to replace McKenzie but weren’t we trying to get deeper in the secondary and at receiver. After #27 in the draft which should be O-line, are you confident #54 or #81 will make a difference. Remember we’re chasing KC and Cinn, we should be better than last year.

On 3/16/2023 at 5:11 PM, Success said:

I'm inspired by Pacheco & the Chiefs.  Get a RB in the later rounds.

5th/6th Round guy…. 

Deneric Prince. RB Tulsa, I think he’s a sleeper and could go early round 5. Great size 6’0” 216 lbs.  Ran a 4.41 40yd dash. Strong lower body. 

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Eloquently put but we’re not trying to win the off season but trying to replace crucial pieces we lost. KC and Cinn needed to revamp their O-line and got the best FA tackles. We’re just as capable of getting 2 or 3 good players as they are. Hardy was an OK pickup but he’s coming off major injury. We lost arguably our best defensive player and our 20 million edge rusher along with our starting RB. If Hardy works out, he is a slot to replace McKenzie but weren’t we trying to get deeper in the secondary and at receiver. After #27 in the draft which should be O-line, are you confident #54 or #81 will make a difference. Remember we’re chasing KC and Cinn, we should be better than last year.

I get the concerns, and I wish we could do more too. But we really don't have the cap that Cincy & KC have.  Both of those teams have lost more players than us (I just consider Edmunds to be a loss).  

Hyde & Miller are both coming back. That's like getting 2 top FA's.  I think we're better than KC as it is.  Cincy, I'm not so sure - I think we're on par w/ them in terms of talent, but they just seem to be a bad match-up, going by a pretty small sample size. I think the biggest move we made to catch Cincy is moving on from Frazier.  A more aggressive defense where we press the receivers at the line might work much more effectively against them.

I do think we can get some difference-makers in the mid-rounds of the draft.  I could actually see us going O-line more in the 2nd & 3rd, where you can still get good starters at that position, and possibly going WR or MLB in the 1st.  Or, if Bijan Robinson falls to us, RB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I get the concerns, and I wish we could do more too. But we really don't have the cap that Cincy & KC have.  Both of those teams have lost more players than us (I just consider Edmunds to be a loss).  

Hyde & Miller are both coming back. That's like getting 2 top FA's.  I think we're better than KC as it is.  Cincy, I'm not so sure - I think we're on par w/ them in terms of talent, but they just seem to be a bad match-up, going by a pretty small sample size. I think the biggest move we made to catch Cincy is moving on from Frazier.  A more aggressive defense where we press the receivers at the line might work much more effectively against them.

I do think we can get some difference-makers in the mid-rounds of the draft.  I could actually see us going O-line more in the 2nd & 3rd, where you can still get good starters at that position, and possibly going WR or MLB in the 1st.  Or, if Bijan Robinson falls to us, RB.

We are NOT better than kc. Even fully healthy. 

there’s a diff bw winning in week 5. And then at end of year and playoffs / championships 

• Disagree 2

25 minutes ago, Success said:

Check out the teams on our schedule and factor in Rogers and the upgrades by the Dolphins. Miller is 34 and coming off an ACL. I’m not counting on him coming back 100% or being ready in September. How about TE, I know the draft is deep at that position but it just points up how many positions need to be addressed.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.