Capology Help

Beck Water

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Ah, a good Binghamton, NY boy!

Always thought he should combine his narration skills with his commercial pitchmanship.

"Machu Picchu, site of ancient astronauts, or indigenous peoples' worship site?  Either way, I sure could go for a Genny."

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Do "Not likely to be earned incentives" play into this at all?

They shouldn't.  Those should not be part of the cap.  

One thing fans need to know, Spotrac and OTC are not official NFL numbers.  These sites do the best they can with the info they get.

From the Spotrac site:

NFL SOURCES

Spotrac relies on these great sources for collecting thorough & accurate NFL news, contract data, and more.

Certified NFL Agents

Official Reports

Team Beat Reporters

Our data is our interpretation of these reports and in no way represents official data collected by the league. 

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

They shouldn't.  Those should not be part of the cap.  

One thing fans need to know, Spotrac and OTC are not official NFL numbers.  These sites do the best they can with the info they get.

From the Spotrac site:

NFL SOURCES

Spotrac relies on these great sources for collecting thorough & accurate NFL news, contract data, and more.

Certified NFL Agents

Official Reports

Team Beat Reporters

Our data is our interpretation of these reports and in no way represents official data collected by the league. 

I just know a lot of the cap numbers reported by agents include those because they are trying to brag about the contracts they get.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I remember a scene from Apollo 13 where the guys in Mission Control were calculating the desired incoming trajectory angle - too steep and the astronauts would burn up in the atmosphere, too shallow and they'd bounce off of it. Imagine your life being determined by a room full of engineers using slide rules.

Actually, there was some instance where they needed to calculate something "on the fly".  Calculations were done on a computer & the astronaut(s) insisted that they be checked/verifed by a woman w/ a slide rule.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I remember a scene from Apollo 13 where the guys in Mission Control were calculating the desired incoming trajectory angle - too steep and the astronauts would burn up in the atmosphere, too shallow and they'd bounce off of it. Imagine your life being determined by a room full of engineers using slide rules.

Actually, there was some instance where they needed to calculate something "on the fly".  Calculations were done on a computer & the astronaut(s) insisted that they be checked/verifed by a woman w/ a slide rule.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

As of mid-February, the Bills were $18.13M over the cap.

The Bills addressed this with:

-converting salary to amortizable bonus for Allen, Miller, and Diggs, said to free up $21.1M, $10.6M, and $5.4M respectively (total: $37.1M)

-extending Matt Milano for 2 years, said to free up $6M in current year cap

-negotiating a salary reduction/conversion to roster bonus/incentives for Nyheem Hines, per Spotrac this seems to free up $1.2M

This sums to $44.3M in cap savings, leaving the Bills with $26M in cap space after clearing the overage.

The Bills have new signings:

Connor McGovern $4M this season

Deonte Harty $3.75M this season

Zane Anderson $0.95 this season

Total $8.69M in new signings, leaves us $17.48M

Tendered Dane Jackson right of first refusal, $2.74M

Total $2.74M tenders, leaving us $14.74M

Re-signed Ike Boettger for 1.18M, Sam Martin for $1.67M, Matakevich and Dodson for $1.8 and $2M, and Cam Lewis for $1.19M

Total $7.83M for reported re-signings, leaving us $6.9M of cap space by my calculation

Out of this, we must subtract whatever Poyer's 2023 cap and Kyle Allen's 1 yr contract may be. 

Here's where I need the help: Spotrac, which seems to have everyone's contract or renegotiation captured as above EXCEPT Poyer and Kyle Allen, shows the Bills as having $16.36M of cap.

What or who am I missing?  I would love to believe we have $16.4M cap before the Poyer and Kallen signings get taken off

They saved $600K on Settle restructure is what I heard. 

source:

Per ESPN's Field Yates, the Buffalo Bills have agreed to a restructured contract with defensive tackle Tim Settle, one that is set to save them approximately $600,000 in cap space. 

Edited by Locomark

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Do "Not likely to be earned incentives" play into this at all?

No.  If they're earned, they count against next year's cap.

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So as of this moment, they have about 7 million to play with?

In his presser, Beane said about $9M.  He also made the point that they need space to sign the rookie class and to cover the PS once the regular season starts.  But I think that's standard Beane poor-mouthing.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just tell me we have enough to sign Wagner and a WR?

That really would make my free agency, more enjoyable and less stressful 

Give me, Bobby, Wagner, or Drue tranquil

A receiver good enough to be considered our second guy moving Gabe Davis to the third position

Everything else can come from the draft

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So as of this moment, they have about 7 million to play with?

Beane says they have about 9 right now. He also all but said Isaiah McKenzie will be released in the coming days which will save another 2.5. He also mentioned plans to get Dane Jackson under a deal that would lower his 2.7 hit.

If/when those things happen, we'll probably be at around 12.5. He also mentioned he'll need about 3 for the Draft and 3 for the Practice Squad though. 

Looking at things, I think next up after McKenzie could be an extension for Daquan Jones that could save some this year. But after that, it's hard to really see where else they could save more.

They theoretically could trade Ed Oliver which could save 10, but then we'd need someone to replace him bc we'd be left with just Daquan Jones and Tim Settle. 

Re-structuring Tre could be tricky because there's an out that could save us a LOT of cap space after this season if he were to prove not to return to form. Dion could be a possibility too but his contract isn't exactly clear on Spotrac.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Beane says they have about 9 right now. He also all but said Isaiah McKenzie will be released in the coming days which will save another 2.5. He also mentioned plans to get Dane Jackson under a deal that would lower his 2.7 hit.

If/when those things happen, we'll probably be at around 12.5. He also mentioned he'll need about 3 for the Draft and 3 for the Practice Squad though. 

Looking at things, I think next up after McKenzie could be an extension for Daquan Jones that could save some this year. But after that, it's hard to really see where else they could save more.

They theoretically could trade Ed Oliver which could save 10, but then we'd need someone to replace him bc we'd be left with just Daquan Jones and Tim Settle. 

Re-structuring Tre could be tricky because there's an out that could save us a LOT of cap space after this season if he were to prove not to return to form. Dion could be a possibility too but his contract isn't exactly clear on Spotrac.

I’m just not a big fan of extending every contract if that means that we’re not gonna be able to do extensions next year Jones makes sense because I think we want him here long term

I know that sucks for the do it for me right now crowd but that’s just not Brandon‘s way. He’s trying to keep this team competitive for a number of years.

Just give me a linebacker and a wide receiver, and will get the rest of it in the draft

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m just not a big fan of extending every contract if that means that we’re not gonna be able to do extensions next year Jones makes sense because I think we want him here long term

I know that sucks for the do it for me right now crowd but that’s just not Brandon‘s way. He’s trying to keep this team competitive for a number of years.

Just give me a linebacker and a wide receiver, and will get the rest of it in the draft

I'm in agreement. I think with the 12.5 we'd have releasing McKenzie and doing a better contract on Dane plus whatever else we would save from extending Jones, we should be able to take care of a couple things and then head to the Draft. I'd leave Oliver on the team and leave other contracts alone.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 3/16/2023 at 3:42 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Years ago, we had an older guy in our Engineering group.  I had him bring in his slide rule to show all the young kids.

Their faces were hilarious when old Bill showed them how to use it.  The were amazed that's what people used before computers.

I would love to see how to use a slide rule & to see the looks on the kids faces did any of them ask to try & use the slide rule or just sit in awe of how the old folks use to do things ?

I know when i break out a shovel my nephew sure doesn't ask how it works or if he can try it out 😂 .

It's actually amazing even though computers are a very helpful tool how they have dumbed down the world in general if you can't find the answer just google it or ask Siri .

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:52 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Good post.  Right now Spotrac shows us at $13.6, with the dead cap from Saffold and Phillips taken out of the top 51 and everyone but Dane Jackson included.

Dane's contract must be less than $2.7, let's call it $1.6 for the sake of argument - that gives us $12.

You mighta mis-heard Beane.  The rookie top-51 cap is $5M, not $3 - Spotrac has it if you scroll down the Bills page, I learned that after I calculated it myself 😲

It's early days to worry about PS - we have to worry about that at the same time as we have to worry about the 53 man roster, not top-51, but I thought Beane said last year they needed $5M.  Some crunching, if we have 6 vets earning the max and 10 players earning rookie PS scale, that'd be $4.2M.  I would expect Beane to extend a player or two to lower their current cap hit to cover that, and generate a bit of reserve.

Bottom line, we have some money left to sign FA or make a trade - at least $7-8M. so if Beane doesn't do it - it's because he doesn't want to do it.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Good post.  Right now Spotrac shows us at $13.6, with the dead cap from Saffold and Phillips taken out of the top 51 and everyone but Dane Jackson included.

Dane's contract must be less than $2.7, let's call it $1.6 for the sake of argument - that gives us $12. I am not sure if I understand you correctly, fut if I do, I disagree. Dane's number was $2.7M, apparently Beane we rework his contract, lowering that number. Did you mean Dane's 2023 cap hit will be as low as $1.6M? If yes, it gives us $13M, since Dane will replace Coulter on top 53 and his cap hit is only 700k more.

You mighta mis-heard Beane.  The rookie top-51 cap is $5M, not $3 - Spotrac has it if you scroll down the Bills page, I learned that after I calculated it myself 😲 This is clearly wrong. I don't know how Sportrac means it, but rookies cap hit definitely ISN'T $5M. It's something like $2 or even less. 1st round pick's cap hit is $2.5M replacing $0.9M cap hit of someone else, so only $1.6M more. Other picks combine for less than $0.4M, some are even lowering total cap hit.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's early days to worry about PS - we have to worry about that at the same time as we have to worry about the 53 man roster, not top-51, but I thought Beane said last year they needed $5M.  Some crunching, if we have 6 vets earning the max and 10 players earning rookie PS scale, that'd be $4.2M. Agreed, this is about $4M.

I would expect Beane to extend a player or two to lower their current cap hit to cover that, and generate a bit of reserve.

Bottom line, we have some money left to sign FA or make a trade - at least $7-8M. so if Beane doesn't do it - it's because he doesn't want to do it.

Some comments directly in your post.

If I understand it correctly Beane said $9M prior releasing of McK and prior Dane's contract change. That makes sense, and would mean we have about $12.5M right now. Since you need about $10 more for season itself (rookies, PS players, in season moves and 53man roster rule), we have very little space in fact. Just for one extra $3M FA and couple of vet mins. We definitely don't have $7-8M for FA without additional restructires.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.