Capology Help

Beck Water

As of mid-February, the Bills were $18.13M over the cap.

The Bills addressed this with:

-converting salary to amortizable bonus for Allen, Miller, and Diggs, said to free up $21.1M, $10.6M, and $5.4M respectively (total: $37.1M)

-extending Matt Milano for 2 years, said to free up $6M in current year cap

-negotiating a salary reduction/conversion to roster bonus/incentives for Nyheem Hines, per Spotrac this seems to free up $1.2M

This sums to $44.3M in cap savings, leaving the Bills with $26M in cap space after clearing the overage.

The Bills have new signings:

Connor McGovern $4M this season

Deonte Harty $3.75M this season

Zane Anderson $0.95 this season

Total $8.69M in new signings, leaves us $17.48M

Tendered Dane Jackson right of first refusal, $2.74M

Total $2.74M tenders, leaving us $14.74M

Re-signed Ike Boettger for 1.18M, Sam Martin for $1.67M, Matakevich and Dodson for $1.8 and $2M, and Cam Lewis for $1.19M

Total $7.83M for reported re-signings, leaving us $6.9M of cap space by my calculation

Out of this, we must subtract whatever Poyer's 2023 cap and Kyle Allen's 1 yr contract may be. 

Here's where I need the help: Spotrac, which seems to have everyone's contract or renegotiation captured as above EXCEPT Poyer and Kyle Allen, shows the Bills as having $16.36M of cap.

What or who am I missing?  I would love to believe we have $16.4M cap before the Poyer and Kallen signings get taken off

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Our cap space right now is based on the top 51.  You've mentioned 10 players signed, the lowest of which only raises the cap figure ~$400k (I think minimum salary now is ~$700k).  Those other non-minimum-ish cap hits bring that total to ballpark $15m in my head.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

-converting salary to amortizable bonus for Allen, Miller, and Diggs, said to free up $21.1M, $10.6M, and $5.4M respectively (total: $37.1M)

-negotiating a salary reduction/conversion to roster bonus/incentives for Nyheem Hines, per Spotrac this seems to free up $1.2M

This sums to $44.3M in cap savings, leaving the Bills with $26M in cap space after clearing the overage.

Re-signed Ike Boettger for 1.18M, Sam Martin for $1.67M, Matakevich and Dodson for $1.8 and $2M, and Cam Lewis for $1.19M

Total $7.83M for reported re-signings, leaving us $6.9M of cap space by my calculation

Out of this, we must subtract whatever Poyer's 2023 cap and Kyle Allen's 1 yr contract may be. 

Here's where I need the help: Spotrac, which seems to have everyone's contract or renegotiation captured as above EXCEPT Poyer and Kyle Allen, shows the Bills as having $16.36M of cap.

What or who am I missing?  I would love to believe we have $16.4M cap before the Poyer and Kallen signings get taken off

I think I can help.  In mid-February the Bills had about 52 players.

They now have 61 confirmed contracts.  That is 9 more players.

Every time a new contract has been signed it has displaced on of the cheaper Reserve/Future guys (PS guys) that were on the team.

An example is this:  When Kyle Allen's contract is on the Spotrac books whatever that number is will take off them 51st guy.

Right now, that is Christian Benford who has a hit of $918k.  So, the increase of Allen - Benford is all the cap will go up.

So, 9 guys displacing about $820k (I'm averaging) comes to about $7.4M more in cap.

I can't remember but someone took a $600k decrease in pay restructure.

That gets back most of what you are saying.

10 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Our cap space right now is based on the top 51.  You've mentioned 10 players signed, the lowest of which only raises the cap figure ~$400k (I think minimum salary now is ~$700k).  Those other non-minimum-ish cap hits bring that total to ballpark $15m in my head.

LOL, correct.  I wish I would have seen your reply before I did mine!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I gave this to my secretary and she should have your answer by August 

Maybe it's time you replaced her abacus and slide rule with a computer and spreadsheet program.

14 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Maybe it's time you replaced her abacus and slide rule with a computer and spreadsheet program.

Years ago, we had an older guy in our Engineering group.  I had him bring in his slide rule to show all the young kids.

Their faces were hilarious when old Bill showed them how to use it.  The were amazed that's what people used before computers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I’m pretty sure u have to calculate the top 51 so some of these signings will count for less towards the cap. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Years ago, we had an older guy in our Engineering group.  I had him bring in his slide rule to show all the young kids.

Their faces were hilarious when old Bill showed them how to use it.  The were amazed that's what people used before computers.

I remember a scene from Apollo 13 where the guys in Mission Control were calculating the desired incoming trajectory angle - too steep and the astronauts would burn up in the atmosphere, too shallow and they'd bounce off of it. Imagine your life being determined by a room full of engineers using slide rules.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Old Bill.. does he post here?

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I remember a scene from Apollo 13 where the guys in Mission Control were calculating the desired incoming trajectory angle - too steep and the astronauts would burn up in the atmosphere, too shallow and they'd bounce off of it. Imagine your life being determined by a room full of engineers using slide rules.

LOL.  That's what we talking about.  Going to the moon on slide rules.  The kids said, slide rules, what that?  So I got Bill to bring one in.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think I can help.  In mid-February the Bills had about 52 players.

They now have 61 confirmed contracts.  That is 9 more players.

Every time a new contract has been signed it has displaced on of the cheaper Reserve/Future guys (PS guys) that were on the team.

An example is this:  When Kyle Allen's contract is on the Spotrac books whatever that number is will take off them 51st guy.

Right now, that is Christian Benford who has a hit of $918k.  So, the increase of Allen - Benford is all the cap will go up.

So, 9 guys displacing about $820k (I'm averaging) comes to about $7.4M more in cap.

I can't remember but someone took a $600k decrease in pay restructure.

That gets back most of what you are saying.

LOL, correct.  I wish I would have seen your reply before I did mine!

LOL I'm glad you did, his post wasn't granular enough for me (meaning no critique, different wording makes sense to different folks).  Yours is.  Pay decrease on restructure was Settle, perhaps?

So, yes, that's a big part of it.  Those 9 guys pushed off about $6.6M of cap adding from Spotrac.  $6.6M plus $6.9M is $13.5M, add in restructure you brought up gets us to $14.1M.  That's still off from what Spotrac is reporting ($16.4M), but it's enough closer that I feel like I understand what's going on, which is helpful to me.

36 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

He would, but he can't find his wallet

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I just turned around to check.  Yeah, I still got a slide rule sticking out between books on the shelves behind me.  I used to use a circular slide rule as well.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.