Bernard vs Dodson: Tale of the Tape

TheyCallMeAndy

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Rookies are just that rookies. You can only take so much away from their first year, especially if they are playing behind veterans.

That said, I don’t think that Bernard is a middle linebacker. I wonder if the actual plan is to move Milano to middle and Bernard to outside because basically Bernard is a Milanos clone without the production yet

Personally, this would not be my plan. Give me a middle linebacker that can move and has good imstincts that can tackle well.

We bought the band back together again at safety so that will help

Beane actually adressed that and said they will not move Milano. Those other guys will compete for the mike spot but they will continue to look to add.

Translation imo, they are drafting our new mike

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Beane actually adressed that and said they will not move Milano. Those other guys will compete for the mike spot but they will continue to look to add.

Translation imo, they are drafting our new mike

Thank you I didn’t see that

That makes life easier for me because I didn’t want that anyway, I am perfectly OK with Terrell Benard just sitting in a back up position and getting a new mic with some beef on him

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

That makes life easier for me because I didn’t want that anyway, I am perfectly OK with Terrell Benard just sitting in a back up position and getting a new mic with some beef on him

He brought up Dodson, Bernard and Spector. Its all lip service stuff. I don’t believe him for a second. I think there is a chance they will still add Wagner or Tranquill, or someone who gets released. I love Jack Campbell, my gut tells me they love Trenton Simpson, and Sanders is the second coming of Tremaine. So we shall see where it goes. It’s still early, but I think they draft a guy

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Agree that’s the best path.

Unless we can just trade Oliver for $10M in cap relief and sign Wagner to a $10M deal, filling MLB in FA is not happening.

Beane said the opposite today and alluded to extending Oliver. 

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

Point wasn’t whether it mattered today or not. Point was the drafting of All-Pro talent. Which they have done. The statement of “role playing DB or backup” has to be saved for the end of this upcoming season as an evaluation. Still waiting to see what we got with him as he only played 8 games. If he goes back to 2021 form then yes, definitely overpaid. 2020? We’re good!

There is a concern in the overall drafting, not so much for all-pro talent but solid and productive contributors within the first 3/4 rounds. Need those guys to turn into ones that can be counted on. 

Not quite sure what you're trying to say.  Right now we're short a bunch of impact players too get us to a Championship.  

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Might well end up being the plan I just hate pigeonholing ourselves into a draft pick that’s really not Brandon style

I hear ya, but right now that's the position that stands to make the biggest leap from what we currently have to what an above average player at the position would bring. 

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

We’ve “pigeon holed” ourselves into needing to use elite resources on defense only to get historically bludgeoned in the playoffs?

yes. we have a very specific defense that needs an exact type of player and nothing short of that to be successful.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

You think a first round pick on a LB is a good use of resources?

Again, these guys and their defense that routinely gets pummeled every January….

There’s probably 20-25 1st round grades in any given draft. This draft to me is weak. The Bills are right on the edge of getting a true 1st round talent.

I think the Bills should be looking at a trade down. Out of the 1st completely. 

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You think a first round pick on a LB is a good use of resources?

Again, these guys and their defense that routinely gets pummeled every January….

Yeah, I think it is a really tricky spot. You get that 5th-year option which makes things strange cuz you are paying a backer 11-13 million. However, at 27, there is a good chance you land the best LB in the draft, or the best tight end in the draft, maybe the best center or guard. So the positional value, to your point, is probably not quite there. The value/upside pick there is going to be a guy like Nolan Smith to sack the QB. I know it's annoying to0 take DL again, but if they don't get to the QB this team is going to lose in the playoffs again. If one of those top receivers is there, you take him 100%. 

All that said, if they believe Campbell is a do-over on Tremaine with better instincts, then you do it. You have a cheap starter at mike for 4 years, and it makes sense to have a cheap starter next to Milano. At the same time is it the best first-round pick value? meh...but 27 this year is just a second-round pick anyway, our second is really a third. The first round is for QBs, true left tackles, pass rushers, and corners. Typically if you go another way, there is no boom with the bust.   

My gut, based on really no evidence is that they love Trenton Simpson. Simpson is a guy from Charlotte, a military family...a kid McBeane probably would have heard about when he was in high school and have probably followed his career. I am speculating there, but he really fits the mold. I like Campbell better, but I am just not sure if they go there. The fact that Kuecly is training with him is very interesting though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

yes. we have a very specific defense that needs an exact type of player and nothing short of that to be successful.

I think this might be a little bit of a stretch.  We found these players without using a ton of resources to get them.

Poyer was a back up in Cleveland.

Hyde was a FA signing to a mid level deal and I believe wasn't the full time starter in GB.

Milano was a 5th round pick.

Tre White was a 1st rounder but a late first rounder.

Taron Johnson was a 4th round pick.

These are key contributors to our defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Typically, Beane has had the luxury of filling every hole in FA before going into the draft.

One thing he has spoken about is how things have changed as the team fully matured.  It stands to reason that he and his team would

need to adjust from the past drafting scheme into a new one.

If Beane goes into the draft needing Edmunds replacement, I can see he would have multiple LBs targeted in the 1st 3rds.

With pick #27 being on the cusp he will have to let the draft come to him and see if a trade down will be there or pick a player at #27

from another position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… I mean Im just done with the defensive heavy investment…. 27 is a tricky spot. I’d prefer a trade down and load up on value on offense with the extra picks but my guess is LB will be the pick as it stands now…. It’s brought this team nothing but historically AWFUL defensive performances despite a massive investment… ultimately they obviously are the decision makers, but my guess is there continued favoritism to that side of the ball will be their gradual downfall and will predict as much this season with the Bengals and KC clearly better and Mia/Jets(assuming Rodgers)right in their heels or even.

I commented on that in my post above yours.  Beane can't force a trade down.  He will probably need to draft a LB but just because some think

it's Campbell and he takes him at #27 is huge speculation to me.  If Beane doesn't get a MLB in the FA he has to have multiple LBs targeted

in different rounds of the draft and with only 6 picks he can't have the luxury to move up in any of the rounds to take one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.