Bernard vs Dodson: Tale of the Tape

TheyCallMeAndy

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, I suppose that depends upon how one defines "hole."   Seems to me that we have quite a few needs.  

Our OL needs upgrading.  Right now we have no proven ball-carrier that's ever had more than 90 carries/season if Singletary leaves.  The most that Cook had in college is 113.  Hines has never been an NFL rusher other than role-play.  We need a WR.  An upgrade at TE isn't unreasonable.  At present we have one LB on the entire roster that's proven to be starting caliber, so that's two holes unless we continue with only 2 LBs, which is risky if one gets hurt.  

Our DL can use a decent pass-rusher and some impact players.  There currently isn't a single DL draft pick by Beane that has done anything even worth mentioning in the playoffs.  That's a "hole" from where I sit.  And unless White can become something close to what he was at CB, or Elam really steps up, we can certainly use a decent CB.  It's great that we got Poyer back, but what about Hyde, what's his status going to be?  He going to be 100%?  Hamlin's gone, Marlowe, meh.  

Just sayin' ... 

Every team has depth needs.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not particularly worried about it. It’s literally the only hole on the roster. Plenty of time to fill it. If they have to there’s always the draft.

I think the general fan consensus was that our OL was Not Good Enough last season, especially the right side.  So far the only OL signing is to replace aging vet G Saffold, who played poorly last year, with former Cowboys backup G Conner McGovern.  I don't think that's good enough, so I call Big Hole, at least 1 maybe 2.

Right now we got one RB with 500 yds on 90 carries, 25% of the snaps which is fine for as far as it goes, but will his pass protection improve enough and will he manage to sustain a higher workload?  Our other RB had -3 yds on 6 carries.  Yet we've drafted RBs in the 2nd or 3rd round for 3  of the last 4 drafts with nothing much to show for it; it sets my teeth on edge that people claim there's RB talent in the late rounds but we don't seem to find it there.  Anyway, I kind of feel as though there's a hole at RB. 

Greg Cosell did a podcast at the combine with Brown and Tasker where they discussed his belief that the Bills badly need a "3 level WR"
https://www.buffalobills.com/video/one-bills-live

(pretty good podcast, give it a listen).  If you feel signing a 5'6" 4-year vet is enough in that regard, I don't.  So that's another hole. 

Last hole that comes to mind, is that right now we only have one starting-quality 3TDT on the roster in Ed Oliver, whom many want to trade.  Since McDermott is determined upon a rotation, we need at least another quality DT there.

So that's 5 holes at least.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I hope not. Dodson is clearly a backup. Bernard barely played last year and is undersized. If he is the plan, it is a very risky plan. The Bills at least need to bring in a decent veteran to compete.

Agreed. We approached WR hoping on some players stepping up, and it was less than a great success. Add a good veteran and draft another LB

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

size not so much, everything else is pretty good on his RAS

image.thumb.png.60677937ae801840e91ab26167311f65.png

yeah but Doyle and Spencer Brown had higher, elite, almost perfect RAS scores, which apparently can be practiced, improved and refined....so no longer sold on RAS as I once was...still wondering what McD saw or sees in an undersized, injury prone, key position athlete who was taken in the third round....likely ciuz we didnt have a fourth

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Every team has depth needs.

Not talking about depth.  I like Davis and think he'll be fine, but the primary opinion here is that we need a WR2.  That's one hole.  

Unless we are good with mediocre to average performance along the DL, I'd strongly suggest we have at least one "hole" there too.  When absolutely none of your DL-men step up even part-time in the playoffs, I'd say that there are holes.  

Like I said, unless Elam develops or White rebounds back from his injury rehab, we have one, possibly two holes there too.  White was awful when he played.  

OL, I'd say we have holes, again, unless mediocre is fine.  

RB, who's starting?  What, Cook, who's never had a full-time number of carries here or in college?  That's a hole to me.  They can preach how great he'll be all they want, but until it happens.  Right now all we've gotten is mostly preaching.  

To say that LB is our only hole, .... seriously?  

Edited by PBF81

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Not talking about depth.  I like Davis and think he'll be fine, but the primary opinion here is that we need a WR2.  That's one hole.  

Unless we are good with mediocre to average performance along the DL, I'd strongly suggest we have at least one "hole" there too.  When absolutely none of your DL-men step up even part-time in the playoffs, I'd say that there are holes.  

Like I said, unless Elam develops or White rebounds back from his injury rehab, we have one, possibly two holes there too.  White was awful when he played.  

OL, I'd say we have holes, again, unless mediocre is fine.  

RB, who's starting?  What, Cook, who's never had a full-time number of carries here or in college?  That's a hole to me.  They can preach how great he'll be all they want, but until it happens.  Right now all we've gotten is mostly preaching.  

To say that LB is our only hole, .... seriously?  

Getting better doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a hole. Does that make sense? I mean we can upgrade many positions, but those players currently there are ok starters. 

I think we could probably use an upgrade at 4-5 spots on the roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrel-bernard/32004245-5223-6424-136f-901f81674ee9

Bernard played exactly like this Scouting Report.

“Average backup or special teamer”

Round 5

He played one game and he looked like a small, converted safety, that doesn’t have elite speed (4.6 verses 4.5).

I don’t have much hope for him as a real player. 

shades of the Dick Jauron “little man” defense….that worked out well…

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I hope not. Dodson is clearly a backup. Bernard barely played last year and is undersized. If he is the plan, it is a very risky plan. The Bills at least need to bring in a decent veteran to compete.

Dodson is only slightly better than Bernard. Neither are good replacements. So you either sign Wagner or there will be alot of pressure on Milano.  Maybe Benford can play a SS/ Hybrid LB kind of role?

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrel-bernard/32004245-5223-6424-136f-901f81674ee9

Bernard played exactly like this Scouting Report.

“Average backup or special teamer”

Round 5

He played one game and he looked like a small, converted safety, that doesn’t have elite speed (4.6 verses 4.5).

I don’t have much hope for him as a real player. 

What a waste of a 3rd round pick.  It's drafting like this that is putting us behind some of the better teams.  

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Dodson is only slightly better than Bernard. Neither are good replacements. So you either sign Wagner or there will be alot of pressure on Milano.  Maybe Benford can play a SS/ Hybrid LB kind of role?

Based on Beanes presser, it seems they are going to try to transition him to safety this year

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Getting better doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a hole. Does that make sense? I mean we can upgrade many positions, but those players currently there are ok starters. 

I think we could probably use an upgrade at 4-5 spots on the roster. 

As I said, it depends upon how one defines "hole."   So yeah, it makes sense from the perspective that you imply, that if you have a warm body in there there's no "hol" per se, but I would define hole, particularly for us, as do we have above-average play in a particular spot.  

Because our entire OL besides Dawkins now is average on a good day, mediocre the rest of the time.  So for me that would indicate some holes.  Sure, Brown may improve, but I'd give him this season.  Morse is getting older and has had his bell run 6 times now, he's flirting with following in Seau's footsteps, and he wasn't as good as he's been this past season either.  

But yeah, I guess if you mean that there's someone on the roster capable of playing a position there's no hole, sure, I wouldn't disagree.  

As to upgrades, it's relative.  As I'd mentioned, besides Milano and Poyer, we have almost no if any defensive players that were worth a crap in the playoffs.  Offensively our entire OL got manhandled at times, and we have no RB to power us to assist Allen in controlling the game.  Could be coaching, but that's another topic.  And everyone here claims that Davis isn't good enough to be a WR2, which means we don't have one then.  

If we want to be competitive in the playoffs, IMO we have more than few spots to upgrade.  In fact, I'm looking now at the OLs and DLs of Miami, NE, and the Jets.  My initial thought was that I'd trade wholesale for any of them on any of the three teams.  I'm looking to see whether that thought is justified.  I would trade our DL for the Jets' DL in a NY second though.  I don't think that any of our AFCE competitors have worse lines than we do.  I have to look, but NE's DL may be about the same, but I don't think it's worse, and it's the worst it's been in NE perhaps on BB's watch.  

Gotta compare to the AFCE first, that's nearly a third of our games.  Right now our lines aren't competitive with those of KC and Cinci, how that's looked at and viewed may be more an issue of semantics, but something's gotta be done to correct that or there will be no Championship for us in the foreseeable future.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

This would not be a good plan. Neither is more than ST or depth. Bernard can be a nickel LB possibly but has not even been good in coverage despite his size. 

Other than M

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No one is open to the idea that maybe with a full year of proper training/diet/strength coach/film study Bernard May actually develop into what McDermott saw in him? The coach that turned another 220 pound former safety into an All-Pro?

Players tend to develop and grow. 

Other than Milano the Bills don't have a linebacker worth a flying turd on their roster.  Bernard is an undersized "JOKE" and Dodson is a mediocre backup!  McDummy and the Beaner are terrible at evaluating football talent.  Look at their recent drafts, they have been worse than horrible. Other than Josh Allen they have not picked any all pros.  The Bills are on the fast track back to mediocrity!  

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

Other than M

Other than Milano the Bills don't have a linebacker worth a flying turd on their roster.  Bernard is an undersized "JOKE" and Dodson is a mediocre backup!  McDummy and the Beaner are terrible at evaluating football talent.  Look at their recent drafts, they have been worse than horrible. Other than Josh Allen they have not picked any all pros.  The Bills are on the fast track back to mediocrity!  

Drafting could be better. Could also be worse. Tre White & Milano don’t count as All-Pro?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

Agree with this, although I'll wait to see what the Draft brings, but Beane will have to pull an A+ Draft out of his ass if he's going to prevent that slide back to uncompetitive, or for sure an inability to advance significantly in the playoffs.  

As I've said several times, if any one of the following things happens this season, I don't see McD or Beane lasting more than another season or two:  

A.  We do not win the Dividion

B.  We win the division but lose in the WC or D round again, particularly if it's another ass-kicking against KC or Cinci.  

C.  We go to the AFC CG but get our asses handed to us.  

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Drafting could be better. Could also be worse. Tre White & Milano don’t count as All-Pro?

White sucked after his injury, he wasn't even average much less All-Pro.  What he did two or more seasons ago doesn't matter today.  Hopefully he'll rebound to his former self this season, he's owed that, but if not, then they have to start thinking alternately.  He gets paid way too much to be a role-playing DB or backup.  

Milano's the only player we had that did anything in the playoffs besides Edmunds, who's not here anymore.  

Beane's drafted players have never done anything in the playoffs other than a few spot performances.  Entirely undependable as such.  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Agree with this, although I'll wait to see what the Draft brings, but Beane will have to pull an A+ Draft out of his ass if he's going to prevent that slide back to uncompetitive, or for sure an inability to advance significantly in the playoffs.  

As I've said several times, if any one of the following things happens this season, I don't see McD or Beane lasting more than another season or two:  

A.  We do not win the Dividion

B.  We win the division but lose in the WC or D round again, particularly if it's another ass-kicking against KC or Cinci.  

C.  We go to the AFC CG but get our asses handed to us.  

White sucked after his injury, he wasn't even average much less All-Pro.  What he did two or more seasons ago doesn't matter today.  Hopefully he'll rebound to his former self this season, he's owed that, but if not, then they have to start thinking alternately.  He gets paid way too much to be a role-playing DB or backup.  

Milano's the only player we had that did anything in the playoffs besides Edmunds, who's not here anymore.  

Beane's drafted players have never done anything in the playoffs other than a few spot performances.  Entirely undependable as such.  

Point wasn’t whether it mattered today or not. Point was the drafting of All-Pro talent. Which they have done. The statement of “role playing DB or backup” has to be saved for the end of this upcoming season as an evaluation. Still waiting to see what we got with him as he only played 8 games. If he goes back to 2021 form then yes, definitely overpaid. 2020? We’re good!

There is a concern in the overall drafting, not so much for all-pro talent but solid and productive contributors within the first 3/4 rounds. Need those guys to turn into ones that can be counted on. 

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

We should have drafted Nakobe Dean last year instead of Cook, or traded up into the early 3rd to get him.  But if Campbell's that good, then why not take him with our 27th.  Fills an enormous hole.  

Might well end up being the plan I just hate pigeonholing ourselves into a draft pick that’s really not Brandon style

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Spector is the best option.  Seriously.  He was underrated in college, and looked great in preseason and the little he played in blow outs.

Isn't he like, slow AF? 

OK I looked it up.... 4.6 second 40 while Edmunds was 4.54. 

FWIW, when asked about LB, Beane specifically stated "sometimes your answer is on your roster".  He mentioned Dodson, he mentioned Spector and Bernard having a year in the system and coming in more prepared for the NFL and for the Bills defensive system.  Then he talked about cap casualties and free agencies and "maybe in the draft".  So I think those of us expecting a significant FA signing like Bobby Wagner to help put us over the top and really lock down that LB position, are going to be disappointed.

Rookies are just that rookies. You can only take so much away from their first year, especially if they are playing behind veterans.

That said, I don’t think that Bernard is a middle linebacker. I wonder if the actual plan is to move Milano to middle and Bernard to outside because basically Bernard is a Milanos clone without the production yet

Personally, this would not be my plan. Give me a middle linebacker that can move and has good imstincts that can tackle well.

We bought the band back together again at safety so that will help

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.