Bernard vs Dodson: Tale of the Tape

TheyCallMeAndy

51 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think there is a very good chance the plan has been for either Dodson or Bernard to replace Edmunds since at least this time last year. That writing seemed to be on the wall after Bills extended Matt Milano, drafted Terrel Bernard in the 3rd round last year, then signed Milano to another extension. Dodson was Edmunds primary backup and filled in for Edmunds when he missed 3 games in 2022, Bills winning all 3 games. 

Dodson will be 25, is in his 4th season, and was the primary backup LB last year. The former UDFA recorded 32 tackles last year, a sack, and a TFL. He played 220 snaps on defense and 276 snaps on special teams. He was targeted in the passing game 14 times giving up 12 catches (85%) for 130 yards (10.8 YPA) and QB rating of 105. Dodson had 4 missed tackles last year (11%). Dodson is a good athlete with good straight line speed and decent agility. Athletically he compares to Matt Milano pretty well. 

Bernard is 24, entering his 2nd season after being a 3rd round pick. Scouting reports called him a small LB who’s size would lead to issues vs the run, but a very smart LB and great in pass coverage. He’s listed at 6’1’’ and his weight has been listed between 218 and 222. He started 1 game last year and played 110 snaps on defense and 254 snaps on special teams. Bernard was targeted 5 times in coverage giving up 4 catches (80%) for 35 yards (8.8 YPA) and an opposing QB rating of 95.8. Bernard did not miss or have a single tackle broken last year. Bernard is a great athlete and is both very fast and agile, like a small Tremaine Edmunds athletically. 

This team preaches draft and develop, and we may be seeing a long term developmental succession plan play out. 

This summer will be interesting. 

I thought it was pretty telling that the team started Dodson in place of Edmunds earlier in the season vs. Pitts, brought him in when Edmunds got hurt vs Minn and 100% vs Cleveland, and liked that so much they promptly went out and signed the aging AJ Klein when he became available, then had him play after 1 week to re-acclimate to the system when Edmunds was still out vs. Detroit.  

In other words, if "who will replace Edmunds?" is the question, I don't think the Bills actions in 2022 say that they view Dodson as the answer.

Terrel Bernard, OTOH, was not asked to replace Edmunds.  He replaced Milano when he was out vs. the Jets, and lets just say ...it did NOT go well.  That's not to say an off-season of NFL type strength training and conditioning won't help, or that maybe?? it would go better if he were trying to replace Edmunds and not Milano but let me just say - from what we saw when he tried to replace Milano against the Jets -

If "Plan B" (for Bernard) is the Bills plan to replace Edmunds,  then I think it's a Bad Plan and they'd better quickly develop Plan A and plan C.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

size not so much, everything else is pretty good on his RAS

image.thumb.png.60677937ae801840e91ab26167311f65.png

For those saying his speed is inadequate, they're wrong.  I remember reading his scouting report after the combine, he is explosive and very fast on the 10 and 20 yard splits which is the world he'd be living in as a LB much more so than the 40, which is still well above average.

• Like (+1) 2

Bernard probably looked slower than he timed because he wasn’t fully sure what he was doing. If he has a firm grasp of the playbook and can play without thinking, I think you’d see that athleticism start to pop on the screen.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

They need a vet playing middle. Mad we missed out Lavonte David. They don’t seem to be interested in Bobby Wagner either. If the options are Bernard or Dodson that’s a significant downgrade

I’m not particularly worried about it. It’s literally the only hole on the roster. Plenty of time to fill it. If they have to there’s always the draft.

16 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Bernard probably looked slower than he timed because he wasn’t fully sure what he was doing. If he has a firm grasp of the playbook and can play without thinking, I think you’d see that athleticism start to pop on the screen.

I’m not surprised that over all consensus is that he’s garbage based off one start, I was definitely hoping for more optimism for his potential though. 

12 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

“With their second round pick, the Buffalo Bills select Jack Campbell, linebacker Iowa”.

I like it, but they'd have to trade down out of the 1st round to do it. Campbell isn't making it to pick #59. We'd need to get in the first 10 picks of the 2nd.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s literally the only hole on the roster. Plenty of time to fill it. If they have to there’s always the draft.

Well, I suppose that depends upon how one defines "hole."   Seems to me that we have quite a few needs.  

Our OL needs upgrading.  Right now we have no proven ball-carrier that's ever had more than 90 carries/season if Singletary leaves.  The most that Cook had in college is 113.  Hines has never been an NFL rusher other than role-play.  We need a WR.  An upgrade at TE isn't unreasonable.  At present we have one LB on the entire roster that's proven to be starting caliber, so that's two holes unless we continue with only 2 LBs, which is risky if one gets hurt.  

Our DL can use a decent pass-rusher and some impact players.  There currently isn't a single DL draft pick by Beane that has done anything even worth mentioning in the playoffs.  That's a "hole" from where I sit.  And unless White can become something close to what he was at CB, or Elam really steps up, we can certainly use a decent CB.  It's great that we got Poyer back, but what about Hyde, what's his status going to be?  He going to be 100%?  Hamlin's gone, Marlowe, meh.  

Just sayin' ... 

This is why people criticize Sean McDermott for "babying" rookies.

If the plan was for Terrel Bernard to take over for Tremaine Edmunds this year, then why did he barely play last year?  

How is Brandon Beane supposed to make intelligent decisions about the roster, when nobody has any idea if the guy he drafted last year is any good?

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, 947 said:

I like it, but they'd have to trade down out of the 1st round to do it. Campbell isn't making it to pick #59. We'd need to get in the first 10 picks of the 2nd.

We should have drafted Nakobe Dean last year instead of Cook, or traded up into the early 3rd to get him.  But if Campbell's that good, then why not take him with our 27th.  Fills an enormous hole.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.