Bernard vs Dodson: Tale of the Tape

TheyCallMeAndy

I think there is a very good chance the plan has been for either Dodson or Bernard to replace Edmunds since at least this time last year. That writing seemed to be on the wall after Bills extended Matt Milano, drafted Terrel Bernard in the 3rd round last year, then signed Milano to another extension. Dodson was Edmunds primary backup and filled in for Edmunds when he missed 3 games in 2022, Bills winning all 3 games. 

Dodson will be 25, is in his 4th season, and was the primary backup LB last year. The former UDFA recorded 32 tackles last year, a sack, and a TFL. He played 220 snaps on defense and 276 snaps on special teams. He was targeted in the passing game 14 times giving up 12 catches (85%) for 130 yards (10.8 YPA) and QB rating of 105. Dodson had 4 missed tackles last year (11%). Dodson is a good athlete with good straight line speed and decent agility. Athletically he compares to Matt Milano pretty well. 

Bernard is 24, entering his 2nd season after being a 3rd round pick. Scouting reports called him a small LB who’s size would lead to issues vs the run, but a very smart LB and great in pass coverage. He’s listed at 6’1’’ and his weight has been listed between 218 and 222. He started 1 game last year and played 110 snaps on defense and 254 snaps on special teams. Bernard was targeted 5 times in coverage giving up 4 catches (80%) for 35 yards (8.8 YPA) and an opposing QB rating of 95.8. Bernard did not miss or have a single tackle broken last year. Bernard is a great athlete and is both very fast and agile, like a small Tremaine Edmunds athletically. 

This team preaches draft and develop, and we may be seeing a long term developmental succession plan play out. 

This summer will be interesting. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I hope not. Dodson is clearly a backup. Bernard barely played last year and is undersized. If he is the plan, it is a very risky plan. The Bills at least need to bring in a decent veteran to compete.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 11

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think there is a very good chance the plan has been for either Dodson or Bernard to replace Edmunds since at least this time last year. That writing seemed to be on the wall after Bills extended Matt Milano, drafted Terrel Bernard in the 3rd round last year, then signed Milano to another extension. Dodson was Edmunds primary backup and filled in for Edmunds when he missed 3 games in 2022, Bills winning all 3 games. 

Dodson will be 25, is in his 4th season, and was the primary backup LB last year. The former UDFA recorded 32 tackles last year, a sack, and a TFL. He played 220 snaps on defense and 276 snaps on special teams. He was targeted in the passing game 14 times giving up 12 catches (85%) for 130 yards (10.8 YPA) and QB rating of 105. Dodson had 4 missed tackles last year (11%). Dodson is a good athlete with good straight line speed and decent agility. Athletically he compares to Matt Milano pretty well. 

Bernard is 24, entering his 2nd season after being a 3rd round pick. Scouting reports called him a small LB who’s size would lead to issues vs the run, but a very smart LB and great in pass coverage. He’s listed at 6’1’’ and his weight has been listed between 218 and 222. He started 1 game last year and played 110 snaps on defense and 254 snaps on special teams. Bernard was targeted 5 times in coverage giving up 4 catches (80%) for 35 yards (8.8 YPA) and an opposing QB rating of 95.8. Bernard did not miss or have a single tackle broken last year. Bernard is a great athlete and is both very fast and agile, like a small Tremaine Edmunds athletically. 

This team preaches draft and develop, and we may be seeing a long term developmental succession plan play out. 

I'm not very encouraged by either. We pretty much know Dotson and by the time Bernard put on enough size idk that he'd be fast enough in these modern times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Scouting reports called him a small LB who’s size would lead to issues vs the run,

If that's the plan, it's yet one more reason why Jones is so important - not to mention a Jones clone for backup.  

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If this is the plan the defense will be hot trash.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Either would likely be a pretty big downgrade from Edmunds. But we might not need someone who is at that level. I'm still intrigued by Bernard & some of his intangibles.

I tend to doubt that we'll just roll w/ what we have, but if we don't get someone in FA or early in the draft, it won't make me lose any sleep.  There are other areas in need of more attention, imo.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrel-bernard/32004245-5223-6424-136f-901f81674ee9

Bernard played exactly like this Scouting Report.

“Average backup or special teamer”

Round 5

He played one game and he looked like a small, converted safety, that doesn’t have elite speed (4.6 verses 4.5).

I don’t have much hope for him as a real player. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

I hope not. Dodson is clearly a backup. Bernard barely played last year and is undersized. If he is the plan, it is a very risky plan. The Bills at least need to bring in a decent veteran to compete.

Watch the 1st press conference from McDermott on the draft last year. Dave Aranda coached Tre White and Terrel Bernard. McDermott said when Dave Aranda speaks on a player he listens and he trusts what he says.

The Bills reached a bit for Bernard. Likely due to Aranda. I wouldn’t be shocked if they believe Bernard can start for them.

• Like (+1) 1

Neither are suited for MLB in this defense.  We pigeon holed ourself with a specific type of defense that needs two very instinctive safeties, two very robust dynamic linebackers, and 2 corners who can effectively play 3rds in zone defense. 

Everyone praises our defense for how effective it is but it is largely ineffective at adapting or changing. It's designed not to be, however because it is well designed.

The downfall of this is that it needs the perfect type of players to execute it. A bobby wagoner is our only option at this point to not take a major step backwards. 

• Like (+1) 2

I thought Bernard had promise, but then I saw the 1 game he started. He was so bad that didn't look like he belonged on an NFL field, I don't think he played another snap all year after that. Aside from the fumble return TD in preseason, I didn't see any of the speed that was talked about. He looked no faster than AJ Klein in coverage, and he appeared to be about the same size as James Cook. He needs another 10-20lbs, hopefully that's what he's working on.

I'm still hopeful for him in the future, but there's no way McBeane trust him to be a regular this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Watch the 1st press conference from McDermott on the draft last year. Dave Aranda coached Tre White and Terrel Bernard. McDermott said when Dave Aranda speaks on a player he listens and he trusts what he says.

The Bills reached a bit for Bernard. Likely due to Aranda. I wouldn’t be shocked if they believe Bernard can start for them.

They said some nice things about him after they drafted him. That's what coaches do.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

Neither are suited for MLB in this defense.  We pigeon holed ourself with a specific type of defense that needs two very instinctive safeties, two very robust dynamic linebackers, and 2 corners who can effectively play 3rds in zone defense. 

Everyone praises our defense for how effective it is but it is largely ineffective at adapting or changing. It's designed not to be, however because it is well designed.

The downfall of this is that it needs the perfect type of players to execute it. A bobby wagoner is our only option at this point to not take a major step backwards. 

What?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.