La'el Collins worth a look?

BeastMode54

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think his best days are definitely behind him but if he is willing to take fringe starter money and have a genuine camp battle with Spencer for the job he would satisfy the "proper competition brief".

It will be ok to find an upgrade from Brown…

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think his best days are definitely behind him but if he is willing to take fringe starter money and have a genuine camp battle with Spencer for the job he would satisfy the "proper competition brief".

IIRC, Collins can also bump inside to guard if Brown beats him out at RT or if Morse gets injured and Bates needs to move to center. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We've done nothing to improve one of the worst OL's in the NFL so far. Any quality OL would be huge at this point. We're desperate.

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:
IIRC, Collins can also bump inside to guard if Brown beats him out at RT or if Morse gets injured and Bates needs to move to center. 

There's no way Brown could beat him out unless Collins gets injured or dies.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We've done nothing to improve one of the worst OL's in the NFL so far. Any quality OL would be huge at this point. We're desperate.

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

There's no way Brown could beat him out unless Collins gets injured or dies.

Collins torn his ACL and MCL late in the season. It’s entirely possible he’s not ready by training camp. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Unless he playing guard I don’t think so. You figure Dawkins, Morse, and Brown are locked in their spots. They just gave the guard from Dallas 7 million. So he’s going to be a starter. Only one spot open. Is he beating out Bates? I doubt it 

Brown isn't a lock.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Not in fans eyes. But if you've listened to Brandon Beane at all Postseason - he's made it pretty clear he thinks not having a Training Camp and injuries were the cause of his not performing well last season. He seems to have full faith in him.

That may be true
But they also believe in having back ups

Competition is a good thing

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That may be true
But they also believe in having back ups

Competition is a good thing

Oh, for sure. We at the very least need to bring back David Quessenberry or sign an equivalent FA to replace his spot on the roster.

But a player like La'el Collins or a 1st Round pick probably isn't in the cards as it would be an outright replacement of Spencer Brown, which I don't see them doing yet.

I don't think this puts Collins on the block, but I do think it puts Jonah Williams out there. He hasn't really lived up to the hype and has battled some injuries. Especially with him being on his 5th year option. 

Edited by H2o

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Not in fans eyes. But if you've listened to Brandon Beane at all Postseason - he's made it pretty clear he thinks not having a Training Camp and injuries were the cause of his not performing well last season. He seems to have full faith in him.

What else would you expect Beane to say?

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

What else would you expect Beane to say?

Beane is a very candid GM. He has no problem expressing frustration with players, none.

Can we lay this dumb trope to rest? I would expect him to express dissatisfaction in a way that's not impolite or personal ... if that's what he actually meant. He's done it many times before. 

When he expresses satisfaction in a very specific way, it's because it is what he means. He'd have had no problems saying something along the lines of, "He knows he's not playing at a level that we expect. He's very aware of this and he's not happy himself with how last season went. We expect him to work hard and improve. We know he's a hard worker and should improve. But we do expect yadda yadda yadda."

He's done this many times. If dissatisfied, I'd expect him to say something along those lines. The fact that he was very specific in his praise tells me and should tell everyone that he means it.

You'll notice he also didn't say, "We don't think we need to bring in any competition for him. He will be our starting RT for the next ten years," either. He didn't feel that and didn't say it. He says what he means about our players. Politely, of course, but he gets his point across.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.