Orlando Brown signs with Bengals

HappyDays

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Subtract Allen's running/improvisation and think about what would happen.

I've said it a hundred times...If Allen were simply a pocket passer with so-so mobility, the Bills break the record for sacks taken in a season.

Allen bails that line out more times than can be counted.

38 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I will feel a little better if they draft an OL prospect in the first 3 rounds.  I feel they should go OL in Round 1 and then WR in Round 2

I think Dawkins would be a great guard but while he isn’t perfect he’s fairly reliable protecting Josh’s blindside.  I’m not sure if they would feel comfortable with a relying on a rookie for that 

I get it but if you look at what the Super Bowl Champs did with their rookies last year it may work out for the better as it did for them .

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Them believing in Davis to be the #2 after three straight years of inconsistent play is just really poor management… I still find it hard to believe they will go into the season with him as the guy opposite Diggs. They can’t be that blind or stubborn… but the way Beane was on the defensive in his end season presser… maybe they are. 

And yea you are right. The priorities seem to be different from us…. Also different from the two teams that have eliminated us from the playoffs the last three years. Those guys prioritize the offense. We half step to protect Allen while loading up on defense and special teams whereas the team is absolutely no where without Allen… you’d think they’d learn.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah, I hold out hope that they are in on OBJ or D Hop. I don't really like the guys in the draft. But with the Harty addition, I suppose they are showing they are trying to add offensive weapons/speed, and with the McGovern addition, they are attempting to upgrade their OL and protect Josh. I agree that they need to upgrade from Davis. I actually like the O line if McGovern winds up on the right with Bates moving to the left. But it is all about Allen. 

In terms of KC, they lost their RT and LT and replaced the left tackle they spent some draft capital on with a guy who has never played left tackle in the pros. They signed a journeyman DE with potential to 2 years 20 mil and cut Frank Clark. They also lost Smith-Schuster and Juan Thornhill. They also lost Khalen Saunders who was an important part of their defensive line. I'm sure they will add bandwagon offensive pieces who will take less to play with Mahomes. 

The Bengals signed Brown which is a huge upgrade for them, which signals that their 1st round OL was a waste. At the same time, they lost two safeties, one an all-pro, and Perine who was valuable to them. They also lost Hayden Hurst, who was pretty good last year as well. And of course the big elephant in the room is all the free agents they have coming, including the QB. They are also hosting Cody Ford, which is a net negative. They did sign Pratt back, but they have Wilson and Akeem Davis-Gaither waiting in the wings. An argument could be made that they should have used that money on offense. 

If you look at it on the surface, the Bills added more to their offense than those other teams. Maybe it's not as high profile, but they are certainly trying to help Josh, the question is, is it enough?   

I'm well on record as a dispassionate supporter of Gabe Davis.  The drops cloud too many minds.  He had his best season yet.  OBJ had a similar catch % the last year he played, similar yardage and has blown out his knee twice and wants laughable money for a guy literally on his last leg.

Hopkins, however, is another story...

57 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

IMO, the Bills need to add OBJ and add more pass rush. 

(I follow your posts with appreciation)

Please dont tell me you are backing off your positions - we need lot more OL and stud WRs* - and going over to the dark side of McD "we need more Defense". 

* With his recent injury, I wont be satisfied with just OBJ

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It absolutely is hard to accept, but it's where we are.  

I'd put WR and OL ahead of anything currently on Defense, but I don't think anyone but Wagner at MLB moves the needle more than another legit DE2/3 pass rusher. 

Despite Capaccio trying his best to hype up Terrell Dodson as our starting MLB, I think the Bills need to fill that role with a veteran. 

Otherwise, McDermott WILL get his way and use #27 on a MLB. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm well on record as a dispassionate supporter of Gabe Davis.  The drops cloud too many minds.  He had his best season yet.  OBJ had a similar catch % the last year he played, similar yardage and has blown out his knee twice and wants laughable money for a guy literally on his last leg.

Hopkins, yes!

Do we give Davis a big round of applause? 

He played 90% of snaps, whereas Years 1-3 he was at 40% snaps. 

The numbers should have been better. 

He had what? (1) 100-yard game? 

I just don't see how the FO is willing to bank on his growth in the #2 role going into his final year, with Diggs now at 30 years old, and the next WR on the depth chart is a 5th Rounder who caught 10 passes. 

This team needs another #1 WR to pair with Diggs, and maximize this window. I don't care what Mike Schopp says about the "window" being open as long as Allen is here. Diggs is by far our best skill player, and after him, there is a DROPOFF to who? Knox? Like he is some unquestioned star? James Cook? Who this coaching staff barely used last year? Gabe Davis? Who this Coaching Staff loves to tell you is the hardest worker ever, but he has a boiler?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Hopkins, yes!

Do we give Davis a big round of applause? 

He played 90% of snaps, whereas Years 1-3 he was at 40% snaps. 

The numbers should have been better. 

He had what? (1) 100-yard game? 

I just don't see how the FO is willing to bank on his growth in the #2 role going into his final year, with Diggs now at 30 years old, and the next WR on the depth chart is a 5th Rounder who caught 10 passes. 

This team needs another #1 WR to pair with Diggs, and maximize this window. I don't care what Mike Schopp says about the "window" being open as long as Allen is here. Diggs is by far our best skill player, and after him, there is a DROPOFF to who? Knox? Like he is some unquestioned star? James Cook? Who this coaching staff barely used last year? Gabe Davis? Who this Coaching Staff loves to tell you is the hardest worker ever, but he has a boiler?

He had 94 targets to Diggs 154.  He made the most of the balls he caught with a whopping 18 YPC.  

Diggs, on the other hand, from  Thanksgiving to the end of the Bengals game (9 games) tallied only 2 100 yard games and 4 TDs (only 1 TD in the final 7 games)---as the Bills #1 WR. 

14 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

(I follow your posts with appreciation)

Please dont tell me you are backing off your positions - we need lot more OL and stud WRs* - and going over to the dark side of McD "we need more Defense". 

* With his recent injury, I wont be satisfied with just OBJ

I appreciate that. Not backing off, but we definitely need another offensive weapon, probably a stud receiver and a tight end. I just can't see where that receiver comes from y'know? OBJ seems to be the guy who makes sense in terms of rising the bar there, Jeudy, DHop...I'm sure another guy may shake loose. I just am souring on the receivers in the draft a bit, and outside of a DJ Chark, I am not sure what else we can do there. 

And 100% we need to continue to add to the O-line. I'm still open to adding Seumalo, and a swing tackle to compete with Brown for sure. We have to acquire more talent there. The three things that stand out to me from our playoff loss is the lack of protection for the QB, the lack of offensive weapons to take coverage away from Diggs, and the inability to get to the opposing team's QB.

Still one with the force lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I appreciate that. Not backing off, but we definitely need another offensive weapon, probably a stud receiver and a tight end. I just can't see where that receiver comes from y'know? OBJ seems to be the guy who makes sense in terms of rising the bar there, Jeudy, DHop...I'm sure another guy may shake loose. I just am souring on the receivers in the draft a bit, and outside of a DJ Chark, I am not sure what else we can do there. 

And 100% we need to continue to add to the O-line. I'm still open to adding Seumalo, and a swing tackle to compete with Brown for sure. We have to acquire more talent there. The three things that stand out to me from our playoff loss is the lack of protection for the QB, the lack of offensive weapons to take coverage away from Diggs, and the inability to get to the opposing team's QB.

We are in agreement on all points. Lets see what the Beane presser at 1 pm is all about. But my wish is that he announces one of OBJ or Jeudy acquisitions. The OL options are pretty thin out there. As for D, Wagner may be getting long in the tooth but I rather have him to set a floor at that position for a couple of years. His playoff experience will be invaluable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So I’m in the trade oliver camp to we have to find a willing suitor for that because they’re also taking on a $10 million contract I think that we can find a three tech for less money.

If we trade Oliver, we need to sign 2 3TDT.  He's our only starting-caliber 3TDT under contract currently, Jordan Phillips being a FA with a battered wing.

59 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So who that is still available in FA do you want at WR and on OL? 

I was intrigued by Parris Campbell, but I see the Giants just signed him, damn their eyes (I think we're putting our faith in the Pocket Rocket, Harty, anyway)

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So who that is still available in FA do you want at WR and on OL? 

I was intrigued by Parris Campbell, but I see the Giants just signed him, damn their eyes (I think we're putting our faith in the Pocket Rocket, Harty, anyway)

I really just want OBJ. He is the only guy in UFA that gives the team what we need in terms of a real impact receiver who will pull coverage. I could be talked into Chark or Hardman just because of their speed, but they don't impact the game the way OBJ does. 

I like Justin Watson or Mack Hollins as WR5 Kumerow replacements who are really good on special teams but can actually contribute on offense. 

In terms of OL, I would still be in on Seumalo which would push Bates to the bench. I would still check in on David Edwards. Graham Glasgow, Evan Brown, or Michael Deiter could be versatile cheap depth adds. In terms of RT competition, you could sell me on a vet like Billy Turner, Germaine Ifedi, or George Fant or a young guy with some prospect shine left in Isaiah Wynn or Greg Little. Outside of Seumalo, I don't see huge upgrades, just raise-the-floor type guys. 

On 3/15/2023 at 10:05 PM, HappyDays said:

Chiefs fans are delusional about Orlando Brown. A Chiefs fan that likes to troll on here said the Chiefs had "one of the worst starting tackle duos in the NFL." No clue what they're watching. He's a great player. What happens sometimes is Mahomes drifts back in the pocket which makes it harder for his tackles to wash their pass rusher out of the play. And I guess Chiefs fans blame Orlando Brown for that? Anyways, Burrow won't have this problem. The Bengals may have just a turned a weakness of their offense into a strength.

You are referring to me.  I said it a while back, I've been saying it for a while.  

You guys ought to be as happy about this as I am.  

KC offered Brown a really sweet deal last offseason.  He turned it down because he wanted more guaranteed money.  KC tagged him.  KC did not make an offer because they wanted to move him to RT.  Orlando Brown makes very big deal out of wanting to be a LT like his father.  Also, it's been reported, Brown's market was really soft because not only did KC want him to move to RT....several other teams did as well......including the Bears....who also badly need OT.  

Cincinnatti get him at a pretty low price......especially low for starting LT.....because they promised to play him at LT.  (which has upset their incumbant LT, who has demanded a trade)  

This is NOT going to work out well for Cincy. 

Keep in mind, Orlando Brown was a one of the groomsman at Patrick Mahomes wedding.  They are good friends...and even THAT didn't keep KC from moving on.  ....AND they went out and signed a RT who KC will move to LT, at a high price.  It's a risky move that cost alot.  THAT's how much KC was sure they needed to move on from Brown.  He's miscast as a LT and it's made worse in a pass heavy offense.  

Cinncinnatti got WORSE by doing this.  They got a player who is not any better at pass blocking that what they already had, plus they pissed that guy off....so changing out one mediocre LT for another, and paying to do it.

Also, KC let Wylie...the other OT go in FA too.  Wylie isn't villified so much because he was never supposed to be a starting RT.  He's been a great swing O lineman during his time in KC..and has started all over the line.  he's better at OG, but is a servicable tackle in a pinch.....problem was he started all 17 games this year and you will read about his PFF grade being high....just watch the film.  He got pushed backward into the QB's lap alot....and was beaten more than you want your RT to be beaten most games.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/16/2023 at 2:11 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I really just want OBJ. He is the only guy in UFA that gives the team what we need in terms of a real impact receiver who will pull coverage. I could be talked into Chark or Hardman just because of their speed, but they don't impact the game the way OBJ does. 

I like Justin Watson or Mack Hollins as WR5 Kumerow replacements who are really good on special teams but can actually contribute on offense. 

In terms of OL, I would still be in on Seumalo which would push Bates to the bench. I would still check in on David Edwards. Graham Glasgow, Evan Brown, or Michael Deiter could be versatile cheap depth adds. In terms of RT competition, you could sell me on a vet like Billy Turner, Germaine Ifedi, or George Fant or a young guy with some prospect shine left in Isaiah Wynn or Greg Little. Outside of Seumalo, I don't see huge upgrades, just raise-the-floor type guys. 

Not Mack Hollins please.  Other than McKenzie he was probably the worst receiver in the NFL last year on a per-snap basis.  He is negative value in a uniform.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:31 PM, John from Riverside said:

Perhaps it’s just me
I didn’t think Orlando Brown looked great last year

Kc certainly didn’t want him back

You may have Orlando confused with Spencer Brown, who was tragically awful. But Orlando Brown also was not great last year.  

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes, I am quite sure. I have the two players confused.

This post does nothing for me but show your ass

Only because I agreed with your premise that Orlando Brown was not great last year.  I won't make the mistake of agreeing with you again. 

On 3/16/2023 at 11:31 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Drops are important, and not just when it comes to TEs.  In any case, the Bills have to plan on replacing him because he's gone at the end of the season either way.  Even if he were to still lead the league in drops and have a 51% catch rate, he'll probably still command $11M/year.

Edited by Doc

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Drops are important, and not just when it comes to TEs.  In any case, the Bills have to plan on replacing him because he's gone at the end of the season either way.

His 26 TDs, 112 1st downs on 255 total targets outweigh the drops. 

But yes, I predicted a day before that they would let him go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.