Orlando Brown signs with Bengals

HappyDays

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m starting to get concerned with the Bills offensive line when compared to the other two top rivals in the AFC. When it became painfully obvious they needed to upgrade their OL, here’s what they did.  

Kansas City - paid big money for Joe Thuney (best guard available) and Orlando Brown and also drafted Creed Humphrey last season.  This season they signed Jawan Taylor who was arguably the best tackle available in free agency.

Cincinnati - last season signed one of the top RT’s in FA La’el Collins as well as two FA guards in Karras and Kappa to decent contracts.   This season they went out and signed Brown.  

Buffalo - signed Connor McGovern to a decent contract.  Returning 4/5 staters.  

I’m very much concerned about the Bills OL

you can only sign what you have to work with. expect us to go to the OL well early and often in the draft. i refuse to believe differently despite the bellyaching around here

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The best tackle available in free agency was the guy they let go to the Bengals. I still don't understand it. Jawaan Taylor was seen as a RT only in his draft class and that's what he played in Jacksonville. They paid him more than Orlando Brown got to play the opposite side. Far be it from me to question Andy Reid's eye for offensive talent... but it feels like a bad move.

certainly smells like he was an idiot they didnt want to deal with or have in lockerroom. pure speculation from me, but what else could it possibly be. browns what 26-27?

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m just gonna say that we’re not done yet

The ol was not horrible. It just wasn’t good enough. We’re not replacing every player on this line.

Dion Dawkins is not being replaced

Mitch Morse is not being replaces

Ryan Bates is not being replacd

Spencer Brown is probably not being replaced, although we should draft competition

I don’t think we’re done, but some of this might come through the draft

I think right out the gate immediately Connor McGovern is better than Rodger Saffold

Why?  Pretty logical place to upgrade?  The idea of going to snag a nasty LT, and kick Dawkins inside is really growing on me

42 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Them believing in Davis to be the #2 after three straight years of inconsistent play is just really poor management… I still find it hard to believe they will go into the season with him as the guy opposite Diggs. They can’t be that blind or stubborn… but the way Beane was on the defensive in his end season presser… maybe they are. 

And yea you are right. The priorities seem to be different from us…. Also different from the two teams that have eliminated us from the playoffs the last three years. Those guys prioritize the offense. We half step to protect Allen while loading up on defense and special teams whereas the team is absolutely no where without Allen… you’d think they’d learn.

Yeah, I hold out hope that they are in on OBJ or D Hop. I don't really like the guys in the draft. But with the Harty addition, I suppose they are showing they are trying to add offensive weapons/speed, and with the McGovern addition, they are attempting to upgrade their OL and protect Josh. I agree that they need to upgrade from Davis. I actually like the O line if McGovern winds up on the right with Bates moving to the left. But it is all about Allen. 

In terms of KC, they lost their RT and LT and replaced the left tackle they spent some draft capital on with a guy who has never played left tackle in the pros. They signed a journeyman DE with potential to 2 years 20 mil and cut Frank Clark. They also lost Smith-Schuster and Juan Thornhill. They also lost Khalen Saunders who was an important part of their defensive line. I'm sure they will add bandwagon offensive pieces who will take less to play with Mahomes. 

The Bengals signed Brown which is a huge upgrade for them, which signals that their 1st round OL was a waste. At the same time, they lost two safeties, one an all-pro, and Perine who was valuable to them. They also lost Hayden Hurst, who was pretty good last year as well. And of course the big elephant in the room is all the free agents they have coming, including the QB. They are also hosting Cody Ford, which is a net negative. They did sign Pratt back, but they have Wilson and Akeem Davis-Gaither waiting in the wings. An argument could be made that they should have used that money on offense. 

If you look at it on the surface, the Bills added more to their offense than those other teams. Maybe it's not as high profile, but they are certainly trying to help Josh, the question is, is it enough?   

Edited by MrEpsYtown

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah, I hold out hope that they are in on OBJ or D Hop. I don't really like the guys in the draft. But with the Harty addition, I suppose they are showing they are trying to add offensive weapons/speed, and with the McGovern addition, they are attempting to upgrade their OL and protect Josh. I agree that they need to upgrade from Davis. I actually like the O line if McGovern winds up on the right with Bates moving to the left. But it is all about Allen. 

In terms of KC, they lost their RT and LT and replaced the left tackle they spent some draft capital on with a guy who has never played left tackle in the pros. They signed a journeyman DE with potential to 2 years 20 mil and cut Frank Clark. They also lost Smith-Schuster and Juan Thornhill. They also lost Khalen Saunders who was an important part of their defensive line. I'm sure they will add bandwagon offensive pieces who will take less to play with Mahomes. 

The Bengals signed Brown which is a huge upgrade for them, which signals that their 1st round OL was a waste. At the same time, they lost two safeties, one an all-pro, and Perine who was valuable to them. They also lost Hayden Hurst, who was pretty good last year as well. And of course the big elephant in the room is all the free agents they have coming, including the QB. They are also hosting Cody Ford, which is a net negative. They did sign Pratt back, but they have Wilson and Akeem Davis-Gaither waiting in the wings. An argument could be made that they should have used that money on offense. 

If you look at it on the surface, the Bills added more to their offense than those other teams. Maybe it's not as high profile, but they are certainly trying to help Josh, the question is, is it enough?   

An arg

That's what I was expecting last year, i.e. Bates staying at LG and signing a FA to play RG, and when it was Saffold, making him play RG, but apparently he only wanted to play LG.  McGovern has played RG and isn't a season veteran who can make demands so it better be him at RG.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Lots of Chiefs fans seem very happy to have this kid gone. 

Most things i’m reading go along the lines of “this kid had Mahomes running for his life, only good game was the SB” 

on the flip side I see lots of Bengal fans saying “still better than anything we’ve had for a while” 

BOTH things can be true here.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m starting to get concerned with the Bills offensive line when compared to the other two top rivals in the AFC. When it became painfully obvious they needed to upgrade their OL, here’s what they did.  

Kansas City - paid big money for Joe Thuney (best guard available) and Orlando Brown and also drafted Creed Humphrey last season.  This season they signed Jawan Taylor who was arguably the best tackle available in free agency.

Cincinnati - last season signed one of the top RT’s in FA La’el Collins as well as two FA guards in Karras and Kappa to decent contracts.   This season they went out and signed Brown.  

O line is a concern but there is still the draft & Beane i believe is aware of what is needed for the Bills up front to protect Josh better & make the run game better .

There has been talk of drafting one of the better LT prospects in the draft & moving Dawkins to LG which could make the Bills O line much better & have the player for more years on a better contract & hopefully Beane can work his magic .

Man i can't wait to see what he's brewing up for the draft !! GO BILLS !!! 

58 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Bills Defense was decimated by injuries last year.  With what we currently have, health permitting, this is one of the best defenses in the NFL.  Especially if they do what we all think they will, and address MLB with Wagner or an early pick. 

The question is... how much does that matter?   Eagles Defense was loaded and got torched by the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

Those two Offenses were ahead of Buffalo by the end of the year.  Yea, Bengals lost Hurst and Perine, but added Brown.   Chiefs lost Wylie, Brown, Juju and Hardman, but added Taylor.  

Where we stand... how would you currently rank the teams?

-The OL and weapons for Mahomes

-The OL and weapons for Burrow

-The OL and weapons for Allen

I still think Allen's weapons and OL, in aggregate, could be last on that list.   

Burrow has a good OL that just added Brown, with Higgins, Chase and Boyd.   

Mahomes has the best IOL in the NFL, Taylor at one of the Tackle spots and Kelce, MVS, Moore and Toney.   

Allen has a "potentially" solid/good OL with Diggs, Davis, Knox and then Shakir and Harty, who we hope hit for us. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, T master said:

O line is a concern but there is still the draft & Beane i believe is aware of what is needed for the Bills up front to protect Josh better & make the run game better .

There has been talk of drafting one of the better LT prospects in the draft & moving Dawkins to LG which could make the Bills O line much better & have the player for more years on a better contract & hopefully Beane can work his magic .

Man i can't wait to see what he's brewing up for the draft !! GO BILLS !!! 

I will feel a little better if they draft an OL prospect in the first 3 rounds.  I feel they should go OL in Round 1 and then WR in Round 2

I think Dawkins would be a great guard but while he isn’t perfect he’s fairly reliable protecting Josh’s blindside.  I’m not sure if they would feel comfortable with a relying on a rookie for that 

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bills Defense was decimated by injuries last year.  With what we currently have, health permitting, this is one of the best defenses in the NFL.  Especially if they do what we all think they will, and address MLB with Wagner or an early pick. 

The question is... how much does that matter?   Eagles Defense was loaded and got torched by the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

Those two Offenses were ahead of Buffalo by the end of the year.  Yea, Bengals lost Hurst and Perine, but added Brown.   Chiefs lost Wylie, Brown, Juju and Hardman, but added Taylor.  

Where we stand... how would you currently rank the teams?

-The OL and weapons for Mahomes

-The OL and weapons for Burrow

-The OL and weapons for Allen

I still think Allen's weapons and OL, in aggregate, could be last on that list.   

Burrow has a good OL that just added Brown, with Higgins, Chase and Boyd.   

Mahomes has the best IOL in the NFL, Taylor at one of the Tackle spots and Kelce, MVS, Moore and Toney.   

Allen has a "potentially" solid/good OL with Diggs, Davis, Knox and then Shakir and Harty, who we hope hit for us. 

I think it is all a fair question. I mean Chase Diggs and Kelce are the best offensive players on that list and they each have one. I still say it's Mahomes, Allen, Burrow...

I do think the Bills need to draft better and need to find a marquee receiver to add to Diggs, but the OL is mostly young and cost controlled. I put our O line above the Bengals as currently constituted. Obviously they beat us up in the playoffs, but they aren't good. I put KC first but have serious questions about Taylor to LT and whoever is going to play RT. Call me crazy. 

IMO, the Bills need to add OBJ and add more pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You are correct but I was looking at things in terms of a multi-year period, not just this off-season.

Buffalo, Kansas City, and Cincinnati all have elite QB’s but each saw their post seasons come to an end in different years due to line play.  At different points, it became obvious that an upgrade was needed.  

It just seems that both Kansas City and Cincinnati put more resources in addressing the issue than Buffalo has…so far at least

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it is all a fair question. I mean Chase Diggs and Kelce are the best offensive players on that list and they each have one. I still say it's Mahomes, Allen, Burrow...

I do think the Bills need to draft better and need to find a marquee receiver to add to Diggs, but the OL is mostly young and cost controlled. I put our O line above the Bengals as currently constituted. Obviously they beat us up in the playoffs, but they aren't good. I put KC first but have serious questions about Taylor to LT and whoever is going to play RT. Call me crazy. 

IMO, the Bills need to add OBJ and add more pass rush. 

Agreed.  For all the concern about MLB... if we must invest on defense, we really should focus on getting more pass rush.  A)  For if Von starts the season on the PUP list and B) So we have a legit DE3 to push Epenesa down to DE4 and Basham can either improve, be inactive or get cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Our offensive line is terrible, it has been a problem for several years and it seems that the organizations attitude towards it is that band aids are acceptable. Allen takes too many hits, has to run too much, and the running game is garbage. And yet they still score because of 17. Imagine what they'd do if they could block.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That's what I was expecting last year, i.e. Bates staying at LG and signing a FA to play RG, and when it was Saffold, making him play RG, but apparently he only wanted to play LG.  McGovern has played RG and isn't a season veteran who can make demands so it better be him at RG.

Saffold was an incredibly BIG miss by our front office/coaching staff.  He was so bad last season - legitimately one of the worst starting guards in the NFL.  

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Our offensive line is terrible, it has been a problem for several years and it seems that the organizations attitude towards it is that band aids are acceptable. Allen takes too many hits, has to run too much, and the running game is garbage. And yet they still score because of 17. Imagine what they'd do if they could block.

The line isn’t terrible.  Overall it’s very mediocre and that’s my concern.  I don’t think it’s good enough 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.  For all the concern about MLB... if we must invest on defense, we really should focus on getting more pass rush.  A)  For if Von starts the season on the PUP list and B) So we have a legit DE3 to push Epenesa down to DE4 and Basham can either improve, be inactive or get cut. 

That's just hard to accept, more DE resources. 

Eric Washington gets a ton of love from the Bills and Bills media, can't he coach these guys up? 

From where we're at I rank:

1. Game changing move at WR

2. MLB - Wagner

3. More Offensive Line - Right now there is no real competition for Spencer Brown

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Saffold was an incredibly BIG miss by our front office/coaching staff.  He was so bad last season - legitimately one of the worst starting guards in the NFL.  

The line isn’t terrible.  Overall it’s very mediocre and that’s my concern.  I don’t think it’s good enough 

Subtract Allen's running/improvisation and think about what would happen.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That's just hard to accept, more DE resources. 

Eric Washington gets a ton of love from the Bills and Bills media, can't he coach these guys up? 

From where we're at I rank:

1. Game changing move at WR

2. MLB - Wagner

3. More Offensive Line - Right now there is no real competition for Spencer Brown

It absolutely is hard to accept, but it's where we are.  

I'd put WR and OL ahead of anything currently on Defense, but I don't think anyone but Wagner at MLB moves the needle more than another legit DE2/3 pass rusher. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.