Orlando Brown signs with Bengals

HappyDays

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

Dear BB, it’s an offensive arms race now. The Bengals let both of their quality safeties walk just to beef up their offense. Your move now. 

Mike Schop’s response to everything;

“Yes but according to the BetQL app, the Bills are still the favorites to win the Super Bowl” so that must mean that’s what’s going to happen.

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Looks like they're serious about winning a SB. They recognize the value of a good OL. We don't. We just shuffle in backups and say "good enough."

Too be fair they have about $100 million in future cap space on rookie contracts. QB Burrow, WR Chase, and OT Williams.

Beane had his chance to do this but spent his load on middling defensive linemen.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

The Bills should be investing in their O-Line like they’ve been investing in their D-Line. 

All the picks and FA we’ve dumped there should’ve been used for the O-Line. Now that we’ve finally acknowledged that and are starting to address the O-line as a unit, we need to go all in. 

To me, it’s literally the foundation of an O. I would even go so far as to say that AS A UNIT, they are on par w/QB in how much they impact every play. 

You can have the MVP behind center w/a HOF RB and WR, but if the line doesn’t give them time/holes to run through, they will struggle. 

If you have a HOF O-line, you can win w/JAGS at WR/RB and average QB play. 

Putting shiny new Skill players on an O w/out a line is like bolting speed accessories onto an ‘85 Honda. 

I do think this is the year the Bills invest in the OL, I just think it will be through the draft and not in FA. I expect McGovern to be the one, big, FA signing on the OL. They also went out and got that speedy, shifty, deep threat WR they were looking for in FA. The report at the combine was they were looking at those types of guys. I don't believe it completely takes them out of the market if a guy they REALLY like falls into their laps, but I do think it allows them to allocate draft picks to other positions primarily. 

The Bengals are putting themselves up against it cap wise. They have Burrow, Chase, and Higgins that will all require contracts in the next couple of seasons. The loss of either of the WR's will definitely have a ripple effect on the offense. Most likely it will be Higgins as the odd man out. They are seeing a bit of an exodus this year with 4 out of 6 guys who played key roles having already signed elsewhere. I don't expect Eli Apple back either. It's why the draft is so important for each team, not just our own. 

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

I do think this is the year the Bills invest in the OL, I just think it will be through the draft and not in FA. I expect McGovern to be the one, big, FA signing on the OL. They also went out and got that speedy, shifty, deep threat WR they were looking for in FA. The report at the combine was they were looking at those types of guys. I don't believe it completely takes them out of the market if a guy they REALLY like falls into their laps, but I do think it allows them to allocate draft picks to other positions primarily. 

The Bengals are putting themselves up against it cap wise. They have Burrow, Chase, and Higgins that will all require contracts in the next couple of seasons. The loss of either of the WR's will definitely have a ripple effect on the offense. Most likely it will be Higgins as the odd man out. They are seeing a bit of an exodus this year with 4 out of 6 guys who played key roles having already signed elsewhere. I don't expect Eli Apple back either. It's why the draft is so important for each team, not just our own. 

Bengals let Bates and Bell walk, will probably lose Apple. Ok… They upgraded an OL that was already pretty good before injuries hit them last year.  

The only issue the Bengals will run into is of their own making … an owner that has cash flow issues.   If they had Pegula, they’d be sitting pretty with what they’ve been doing lately.  

We don’t have to pay guys like Matakevich and Neal.  We don’t have to bring back a guy like Poyer.   Let’s say we kept Poyers cap hit low.. say 5M.  That plus Matakevich and Neal (two ST’s guys that give us nothing on defense) is 10M … there’s you Tackle or WR first year cap hit money.  

Why tf is Ed Oliver still on this team?  There’s 10M more.  

There better be another move coming, because wow… this has been underwhelming so far in relation to what the Chiefs, Bengals, Jets and Dolphins are doing. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bengals let Bates and Bell walk, will probably lose Apple. Ok… They upgraded an OL that was already pretty good before injuries hit them last year.  

The only issue the Bengals will run into is of their own making … an owner that has cash flow issues.   If they had Pegula, they’d be sitting pretty with what they’ve been doing lately.  

We don’t have to pay guys like Matakevich and Neal.  We don’t have to bring back a guy like Poyer.   Let’s say we kept Poyers cap hit low.. say 5M.  That plus Matakevich and Neal (two ST’s guys that give us nothing on defense) is 10M … there’s you Tackle or WR first year cap hit money.  

Why tf is Ed Oliver still on this team?  There’s 10M more.  

There better be another move coming, because wow… this has been underwhelming so far in relation to what the Chiefs, Bengals, Jets and Dolphins are doing. 

Go be a Jets fan, or a Bengals fan, or a Chiefs fan, or a Dolphins fan. We've had people jump ship before. It makes for less misery around here. :thumbsup:

I swear. It's March 16th and people around here every time another team makes a move or we don't make a move the armchair GM's want. 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Go be a Jets fan, or a Bengals fan, or a Chiefs fan, or a Dolphins fan. We've had people jump ship before. It makes for less misery around here. :thumbsup:

I swear. It's March 16th and people around here every time another team makes a move or we don't make a move the armchair GM's want. 

giphy.gif

I agree with him. I've been a Bills' fan for over fifty years. You gonna tell me to go root for another team, tough guy? Your sarcasm is completely out of place. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

giphy.gif

Fans like myself have, for the past few years, talked about us not doing enough on Offense and over-investing on a defense that is a regular season paper tiger. 

Bills are a really good team.   I’ve been a fan my whole life, that will never change. 

Some of us are just realistic.  We seem to be the ones who have been correct more often than not.   Really good team that hasn’t done what is needed to overtake KC and now CIN when it matters.   Also, a team that has yet to get the 1 seed.  

Things are fluid.  One move can change an entire outlook.. so far, it’s been a lot of the same philosophy.  

I like the McGovern signing.  I like the Harty signing, if he’s replacing McKenzie.  Everything else .. meh.  I don’t hate Poyer coming back, but if re-signing him and Matakevich prevents us from signing another OL or WR.. yea, don’t love it.  We also have no business paying Ed Oliver 10M this year.   Not when we literally witnessed Allen get hurt for half the season and be under siege quite a bit.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Fans like myself have, for the past few years, talked about us not doing enough on Offense and over-investing on a defense that is a regular season paper tiger. 

Bills are a really good team.   I’ve been a fan my whole life, that will never change. 

Some of us are just realistic.  We seem to be the ones who have been correct more often than not.   Really good team that hasn’t done what is needed to overtake KC and now CIN when it matters.   Also, a team that has yet to get the 1 seed.  

Things are fluid.  One move can change an entire outlook.. so far, it’s been a lot of the same philosophy.  

I like the McGovern signing.  I like the Harty signing, if he’s replacing McKenzie.  Everything else .. meh.  I don’t hate Poyer coming back, but if re-signing him and Matakevich prevents us from signing another OL or WR.. yea, don’t love it.  We also have no business paying Ed Oliver 10M this year.   Not when we literally witnessed Allen get hurt for half the season and be under siege quite a bit.  

I'm realistic as well and have been a fan for over 30 years. I know we have work to do and I'm not lost in blind homerism in any way. There are moves I don't agree with also. But in the end, the endless whining and misery that gets plastered all over the place around here over every move another team makes, or the ones we do or don't make, can be a bit ridiculous. That's what I'm getting at. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Airseven said:

Well sure, because he signed with the Bengals.

If he signed with the Bills, you’d be doing nude cartwheels. 

And if he signed with the Bills you would say he sucked and we overspent. What is your team doing that is so much better?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think fans feel let down because they aren't willing to accept that this team believes in Spencer Brown, Gabe Davis, and Ryan Bates. They believe Dion Dawkins is a left tackle. They signed Harty and McGovern because they believe they upgrade the team, whether we do or not is irrelevant. 

People keep talking about holes on the OL, moving Dion, and needing a #2 receiver...the bottom line is that McBeane appears to believe in these guys so they aren't looking for their replacements. So if our analysis doesn't match theirs, well then we will be disappointed. I'm not saying anyone is necessarily right or wrong. Are they going to sign some D linemen half the board has never heard of? Probably. Are they going to use their first pick in the draft on defense? Maybe. It's why they are where they are and I am sitting in front of a Chromebook writing this instead of working. 

This doesn't mean that they won't add, but they don't seem to have the same priorities as us, and well, they run the ship. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm realistic as well and have been a fan for over 30 years. I know we have work to do and I'm not lost in blind homerism in any way. There are moves I don't agree with also. But in the end, the endless whining and misery that gets plastered all over the place around here over every move another team makes, or the ones we do or don't make, can be a bit ridiculous. That's what I'm getting at. 

I get it. That’s fair.  

I applauded the McGovern signing.  

I defended the Harty signing (if he’s a McKenzie replacement). 

Those two moves were solid. 

For me, the crux hinges on Ed Oliver.   I came into the off-season thinking we should let Edmunds and Poyer walk & Trade Oliver.  Frazier is gone, it’s time to re-tool the defense and invest on Offense.  

Now Poyer is back (and I don’t hate it but I don’t love it) and Oliver’s 10M cap hit is still hanging over us. 

And just so you don’t think I’m being ridiculous … I wanted 2 OL and a WR2 in FA, so we don’t have to hope the draft falls to us.  I want to know Allen has what he needs.  

LB’s, Safeties and DT’s will all be there for us at 27 and on Day 2. 

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m starting to get concerned with the Bills offensive line when compared to the other two top rivals in the AFC. When it became painfully obvious they needed to upgrade their OL, here’s what they did.  

Kansas City - paid big money for Joe Thuney (best guard available) and Orlando Brown and also drafted Creed Humphrey last season.  This season they signed Jawan Taylor who was arguably the best tackle available in free agency.

Cincinnati - last season signed one of the top RT’s in FA La’el Collins as well as two FA guards in Karras and Kappa to decent contracts.   This season they went out and signed Brown.  

Buffalo - signed Connor McGovern to a decent contract.  Returning 4/5 staters.  

I’m very much concerned about the Bills OL

Beane didn’t learn his lesson from last year🤦‍♂️more wear and tear on Allen and playoff failure is the future if he doesn’t come up with something. His priorities are still misaligned…

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I get it. That’s fair.  

I applauded the McGovern signing.  

I defended the Harty signing (if he’s a McKenzie replacement). 

Those two moves were solid. 

For me, the crux hinges on Ed Oliver.   I came into the off-season thinking we should let Edmunds and Poyer walk & Trade Oliver.  Frazier is gone, it’s time to re-tool the defense and invest on Offense.  

Now Poyer is back (and I don’t hate it but I don’t love it) and Oliver’s 10M cap hit is still hanging over us. 

And just so you don’t think I’m being ridiculous … I wanted 2 OL and a WR2 in FA, so we don’t have to hope the draft falls to us.  I want to know Allen has what he needs.  

LB’s, Safeties and DT’s will all be there for us at 27 and on Day 2. 

We do have some common ground. I wanted us to sign Seumalo and we signed McGovern. I'm good with that as Saffold (the amazing Pro Bowl G) was a turnstile out there. I would love to upgrade from Brown. Darnell Wright from Tennessee in the 2nd would be perfect if it fell that way, or I could even live with Dawand Jones in the 1st. Depending on that, I would be with drafting John Michael Schmitz in the 2nd or Jarrett Patterson (G and C flexibility) in the 4th. 

I wanted Jakobi Meyers to be our #2 and wanted us to draft that speedy/shifty guy to work the Slot. Some people disagreed with me. We didn't sign him. We signed Harty, who has shown flashes, but hasn't really done that much. He's the speedy/shifty Slot guy. The numbers shocked me a bit, but it is what it is.

Matakevich? Yeah, not sure why they keep handing this guy checks for running down the field 8-10 times a game.

I like Poyer, and I'm ok with him being back, but it's just a band aid and we need a long term answer. It's NOT Hamlin either. But Poyer and Hyde together are as good a tandem as any in the league. Still, Father Time is undefeated. 

Oliver is a bit perplexing because sometimes he looks great. Others, he vanishes. Some people say it's due to injuries. Others say it's because he's getting played at the 1-tech. I just know it's maddening. I'm good with trading him, especially in light of his idiotic "show me the money" type tweet. Whether it be for a player that we need or a draft pick/picks, I'm good with that. 

We have holes. Other teams are improving in some places, but weakening at others. We're not that bad off really, just need this Staff and FO to get things right this time. Kind of similar to what the Chiefs did in the 2021 offseason. They traded for Brown and hit on 3 KEY selections with Bolton, Humphrey, and Smith. Noah Gray has been solid for them in his role as well. We need an offseason where we draft 3 guys who are GOOD right away and a contributor or two otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

the Chiefs make a living winning SBs and then dumping O-linemen.

Why are poster wailing over a freaking LT going to the Jets?  With or without Rodgers, he won't matter.

Bengals my friend. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

what about them?

The LT people are grumbling about, Orlando Brown, the one whom the thread was started about, went to the Bengals. 

Edited by H2o

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.