Orlando Brown signs with Bengals

HappyDays

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

All of our free agent spending so far has been on offense, not counting Poyer. We just haven't made any splash moves yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we still make a big move for a receiver (Jeudy, Hopkins, or OBJ, in that order of preference). Or failing that I would still take Seumalo as a big upgrade at guard and then let Bates and McGovern battle it out for the other spot. We still have enough cap space to make an impact offensive signing at some position IMO.

“All of our FA spending not counting Poyer”

Weve re-signed a ST Ace, Punter, Safety, tendered a CB and then signed a Guard to replace Saffold and decided to throw 3M at McKenzie’s replacement. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Weve re-signed a ST Ace, Punter, Safety, tendered a CB and then signed a Guard to replace Saffold and decided to throw 3M at McKenzie’s replacement. 

They haven’t really spent that much

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The funny thing is McBeane probably see this signing as an reason to blow their wad on an edge rusher in FA or in the first round.😅

I would not be shocked to see LB/DE in Round 1.  It’s probably my biggest fear

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I guess I don't factor in small money re-signings. But that's the point. We haven't really done much at all in free agency. Our two biggest new contracts are just a $3.7 million and a $4 million cap hit in 2023. I always thought that we would end up with enough cap space to make one splash move on offense and fill in our other holes with small to moderate sized deals. As of right now that's still what I expect. The only glaring hole still on the roster is MLB.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I guess I don't factor in small money re-signings. But that's the point. We haven't really done much at all in free agency. Our two biggest new contracts are just a $3.7 million and a $4 million cap hit in 2023. I always thought that we would end up with enough cap space to make one splash move on offense and fill in our other holes with small to moderate sized deals. As of right now that's still what I expect. The only glaring hole still on the roster is MLB.

I’m also expecting one big move/trade.  

Watching the Chiefs and Bengals play musical top tier Tackles while we wait isn’t ideal. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’m also expecting one big move/trade.  

Watching the Chiefs and Bengals play musical top tier Tackles while we wait isn’t ideal. 

Where do you expect the money for this diving into the musical chairs to come from?

We only had so much money to begin with the GM is a master of the cap but there’s still a cap

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

All of our free agent spending so far has been on offense, not counting Poyer. We just haven't made any splash moves yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we still make a big move for a receiver (Jeudy, Hopkins, or OBJ, in that order of preference). Or failing that I would still take Seumalo as a big upgrade at guard and then let Bates and McGovern battle it out for the other spot. We still have enough cap space to make an impact offensive signing at some position IMO.

My post was based on multiple years.

McGovern and Harty don’t really push the needle to surrounding Josh with talent.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure McBeane will ever see it this way. 

Then he needs to be shown the door. He proved to us that he hasn’t built a team capable of beating Cincinnati. We were getting rolled before Hamlin went down, and proceeded to get ultra rolled in the playoffs. That’s with all the defensive capital that got invested, and we still couldn’t stop them. The only answer now is to go out and get a star WR and draft a bunch of Olinemen. 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Where do you expect the money for this diving into the musical chairs to come from?

We only had so much money to begin with the GM is a master of the cap but there’s still a cap

My plan? 

Someone will give us a pick for Ed Oliver.  

There’s 10M.  

Extend Daquan Jones - frees up another couple Mil. 

We should probably draft a DT early anyway… Currently none under contract for ‘24. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

My plan? 

There’s 10M.  

We should probably draft a DT early anyway… Currently none under contract for ‘24. 

So I’m in the trade oliver camp to we have to find a willing suitor for that because they’re also taking on a $10 million contract I think that we can find a three tech for less money.

If Brandon runs this anything like he did last year, he extends contracts and frees money as he goes

59 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I don't like it either, but if there's a silver lining, it's that it just got that much harder to keep Tee Higgins.

Unfortunately, they'll have an opportunity to trade him for reasonable value. And as the Bills can attest, it really CAN work for both sides: trading a 1st for an emerging WR1 who needs to get paid and then fed, AND getting 1st round+ value FOR that guy you won't be able to re-sign.

• Stefon Diggs has been an all-time franchise great in Buffalo, has been integral in Josh Allen's ascension, and STILL brings an edge to the field that most of his teammates can't match.
  • AJ Brown was pretty decent for the Eagles, and I guess we'll see what the Titans make of their draft picks. 
  • Devante Adams had high-end production for the Raiders, but needed a HIGH volume to get there. Catch % and 1Ds were WAY down, while Y/R and TDs were up...so maybe he was working downfield considerably more. 
  • Tyreek Hill was an effing beast for the Dolphins. Huge jump in production. 
  • DeAndre Hopkins definitely had a big first year in Arizona, and since then, when healthy has still been a #1 guy. But age is maybe catching up (which is more likely to be true for a guy who has never been accused of outworking anyone off the field). 

Bottom line? I don't know. It still seems like a decent move to spend draft assets AND big money on a bona fide WR1 in his prime. Nothing helps a QB more than an alpha dawg WR out there who reliably wins his reps and/or forces defenses to over-commit. (Think KC in the 13 seconds game. Davis was repeatedly singled-up, often with a big, flat-footed cushion. No safety help. No 2023 Patrick Peterson insight on Davis's reliance on in-breaking routes. But it was Diggs who created the coverage liability Allen and Davis exploited repeatedly.) 

A team would be smart to trade for Higgins after the season. And Cinci would be wise to maximize their return before the player leaves withOUT compensation. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m just gonna say that we’re not done yet

The ol was not horrible. It just wasn’t good enough. We’re not replacing every player on this line.

Dion Dawkins is not being replaced

Mitch Morse is not being replaces

Ryan Bates is not being replacd

Spencer Brown is probably not being replaced, although we should draft competition

I don’t think we’re done, but some of this might come through the draft

I think right out the gate immediately Connor McGovern is better than Rodger Saffold

If they weren't horrible they weren't far from it. We had at least 2 if not 3 turnstiles for good chunks of games.

I don't give a flying rats clacker about WR or LB - get me a blue chip IOL and a RT. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

LT was the biggest weakness on their offense so this hurts.

However I'm now even more confused about the Chiefs signing Jawaan Taylor to be their LT for a higher AAV than Brown got.

Likely inside information on Orlando Brown's issues including mistakes he made which others may have covered, medical issues and fitting in with other teammates.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

My plan? 

There’s 10M.  

McKenzie is another $2.3M in cap space as well. 

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

We think alike.  My problem is that unlike CIN and KC who proactively put a lot of resources in their crappy OL’s, the Bills seem content to hope that last years line will get better.

Replacing Saffold for McGovern should help but is that really enough?  And does anyone actually think Spencer Brown is suddenly going to be a great RT after two largely below average seasons?  

You knew watching Bills games, that 5-6 times a game, the LDE was going to get a free run at Allen.

Allen avoided pressure, but he was constantly having to move. 

The Jets game away had to have been horrible for the offensive line, but Brown especially. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.