Orlando Brown signs with Bengals

HappyDays

22 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

The sad thing is, that’s debatable 🤣 

I do like Morse but am sooo glad Saffold is gone. Bates should be first man off the bench in my opinion. I’m hoping we have a wood levitre type draft though. 

I actually think they’d like Bates off the bench.  The problem is they paid him a starter’s contract to keep him on the team.  So either he has to be really bad that he gets benched or Ike Boettger has to be really good.  

16 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Lots of Chiefs fans seem very happy to have this kid gone. 

Most things i’m reading go along the lines of “this kid had Mahomes running for his life, only good game was the SB” 

Chiefs fans are delusional about Orlando Brown. A Chiefs fan that likes to troll on here said the Chiefs had "one of the worst starting tackle duos in the NFL." No clue what they're watching. He's a great player. What happens sometimes is Mahomes drifts back in the pocket which makes it harder for his tackles to wash their pass rusher out of the play. And I guess Chiefs fans blame Orlando Brown for that? Anyways, Burrow won't have this problem. The Bengals may have just a turned a weakness of their offense into a strength.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

We think alike.  My problem is that unlike CIN and KC who proactively put a lot of resources in their crappy OL’s, the Bills seem content to hope that last years line will get better.

Replacing Saffold for McGovern should help but is that really enough?  And does anyone actually think Spencer Brown is suddenly going to be a great RT after two largely below average seasons?  

I'd like to see competition for Mitch Morse spot too

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Translation, do you think the name on the back of the jersey is more important than their actual production on the field?

Point in case Kansas City, just let go of their left tackle and allowed him to sign somewhere else

Brown is what is recovering from a back injury

We should draft competition for him. No one is saying we should go into the season with Tommy Doyle.

I’m bringing up Tommy Doyle because

that’s usually the level of play you can expect from a mid-round rookie draft pick.  

Do you really think that a rookie tackle is going to be the type of player that pushes Brown?  Unless he’s a first round draft pick… I don’t.  

34 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’m starting to get concerned with the Bills offensive line when compared to the other two top rivals in the AFC. When it became painfully obvious they needed to upgrade their OL, here’s what they did.  

Kansas City - paid big money for Joe Thuney (best guard available) and Orlando Brown and also drafted Creed Humphrey last season.  This season they signed Jawan Taylor who was arguably the best tackle available in free agency.

Cincinnati - last season signed one of the top RT’s in FA La’el Collins as well as two FA guards in Karras and Kappa to decent contracts.   This season they went out and signed Brown.  

Buffalo - signed Connor McGovern to a decent contract.  Returning 4/5 staters.  

I’m very much concerned about the Bills OL

Then you want better run blockers and that means an overhaul.  

This regime covets pass blocking more.  

I disagree with it fundamentally - although it’s a passing league - we PLAY IN BUFFALO

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Chiefs fans are delusional about Orlando Brown. A Chiefs fan that likes to troll us on here said the Chiefs had "one of the worst starting tackle duos in the NFL." No clue what they're watching. He's a great player. What happens sometimes is Mahomes drifts back in the pocket which makes it harder for his tackles to wash their pass rusher out of the play. Burrow won't have this problem. The Bengals may have just a turned a weakness of their offense into a strength.

Chiefs line was a definite strength of that team. If, IF, the tackles were the worst of their line, its amazing what having an elite interior does for a line. 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'd like to see competition for Mitch Morse spot too

Morse isn’t perfect but you can argue he probably was their best lineman last season

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bengals spending to surround Joe Burrow at the expense of defense. Complete opposite of the Bills.

They probably watched the Super Bowl

Just now, JohnNord said:

I’m bringing up Tommy Doyle because

that’s usually the level of play you can expect from a mid-round rookie draft pick.  

Do you really think that a rookie tackle is going to be the type of player that pushes Brown?  Unless he’s a first round draft pick… I don’t.  

I’m not positive that it’s going to be a mid round draft pick they gets brought up in the draft

That’s actually the reason why I am concerned that we have not signed a veteran linebacker. I don’t want to use that number 27 on a linebacker I would rather draft a lineman.

I don’t think we’re done on the o line

I think we’re bargain shopping because we don’t have money. Eventually, the chairs are going to be filled with people and the music is going to stop 

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

No I just don’t think the Bills are doing enough to protect their QB.  Look what they’ve invested on the OL the past two seasons compared to CIN and KC.  Do you disagree?

Fundamentally, I'll put it up front - I don't disagree.  I thought so last season, and so far this season I still think so.

It does have to be said that the Bills OL is probably better than what KC went into the 2020 Superbowl with and what the Bengals had in 2021. 

And, the Bills thought they did an OL reboot in 2019 after they sucked big gobs in 2018.  The problem is that their efforts/expenditures haven't borne the desired results.  Cody Ford in the 2nd to play RT - Bzzzzt.  Signed Quinton Spain in 2019 - played LG well enough that they gave him a good contract, and he turned into a mouthy turnstile in 2020.  Moved Cody Ford to G and signed Daryl Williams to play RT in 2020, Williams looked good so they gave him a good contract and he showed up in 2021 sufficiently "lost in space" that they moved him to G and threw 3rd round pick Spencer Brown into the fire where he promptly injured his back, requiring off season surgery.

So it's not so much that they haven't tried to make investments, both in draft picks (2019 2nd and 2021 3rd) and in FA signed (Morse, Williams) but that they haven't gotten enough ROI.

Overall though, the bottom line is that they aren't doing enough.  Also, I haven't sat down and done the grind of draft pick values and FA signing values, but my impression is that the OL is still the "red headed stepchild" relative to the DL and defense.   It seems as though on DL, when they haven't gotten the desired ROI, they simply throw more resources at it.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bengals spending to surround Joe Burrow at the expense of defense. Complete opposite of the Bills.

All of our free agent spending so far has been on offense, not counting Poyer. We just haven't made any splash moves yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we still make a big move for a receiver (Jeudy, Hopkins, or OBJ, in that order of preference). Or failing that I would still take Seumalo as a big upgrade at guard and then let Bates and McGovern battle it out for the other spot. We still have enough cap space to make an impact offensive signing at some position IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The real question is, why would you spend that whenever you have Dawkins

There is nothing wrong with Deion. 

Dawkins was pretty meh last year.   First year with Kromer and a walking disaster next to him at LG … he needs to be better this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Dawkins was pretty meh last year.   First year with Kromer and a walking disaster next to him at LG … he needs to be better this year. 

if I was the bills that have somebody checking in on him to make sure that he’s not getting overly fat it doesn’t help whenever he comes into camp out of shape

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.