Bills sign QB Kyle Allen.

MAJBobby

I believe that players signed for one year contracts for less than $1.75 million do not count towards the comp pick formula. If I'm correct this is an especially great signing. If Singletary signs elsewhere we will be -1 net free agents which will earn us a 3rd rounder for Edmunds next year.

Edit: This is affirmed here:

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I believe that players signed for one year contracts for less than $1.75 million do not count towards the comp pick formula. If I'm correct this is an especially great signing. If Singletary signs elsewhere we will be -1 net free agents which will earn us a 3rd rounder for Edmunds next year.

Yes, Allen won't count as a CFA.  I got to admit Kyle signed for a cheap deal.  I really want him to work out as a backup.

Backups have an important role even if they don't have to play.  It would be great to get a guy who stays more than 1 year.

This might be the guy.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

I think there's a lot of FA left before comp formulas come into play.  Thanks for the link and the education though!

On 3/15/2023 at 10:57 PM, LEBills said:

As long as it is dirt cheap I like it

Agree. The number I have seen is $1.2m which isn't much (if any) above vet minimum. It is certainly a downgrade on Mitch. In theory it is a downgrade on Case although the limited amount we saw of Case last year I am not sure that would have rung true at this stage of his career.

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think there's a lot of FA left before comp formulas come into play.  Thanks for the link and the education though!

I'll be surprised at this point if we sign any other players that will count against us for the comp pick formula. We could theoretically sign Bobby Wagner and Ezekiel Elliott to fill in our two remaining holes and they wouldn't count because they were cut. The rest of the players we sign will likely be fill in players making less than $1.75 million on one year deals. Otherwise all we need is Singletary to sign elsewhere for $2 million and we get that 3rd round pick.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. The number I have seen is $1.2m which isn't much (if any) above vet minimum. It is certainly a downgrade on Mitch. In theory it is a downgrade on Case although the limited amount we saw of Case last year I am not sure that would have rung true at this stage of his career.

1.2 is perfect. Basically no investment. When he started for a team with any semblance of talent with the 18-19 Panthers he was 6-7 as a starter. That’s normally all you can ask for out of a backup QB

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Wow… great news .., and never knew that so thanks for explaining …

Gee,,, we got Kyle very cheap….

He must really want to  play with his buddy for a year …

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'll be surprised at this point if we sign any other players that will count against us for the comp pick formula. We could theoretically sign Bobby Wagner and Ezekiel Elliott to fill in our two remaining holes and they wouldn't count because they were cut. The rest of the players we sign will likely be fill in players making less than $1.75 million on one year deals. Otherwise all we need is Singletary to sign elsewhere for $2 million and we get that 3rd round pick.

I think with draft signings we probably only have enough for Wagner.  This idea of OBJ, DHop etc is dwindling. 

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Let the battle for QB supremacy in Buffalo begin.  May the best Allen win.

Maybe it's just  because he's more familiar with the playbook this shallow into camp but I keep seeing Matt Barkley getting significant time as the #2 QB.

If Kyle Allen can't even beat a Punter for the backup job that's a bad omen for him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Maybe it's just  because he's more familiar with the playbook this shallow into camp but I keep seeing Matt Barkley getting significant time as the #2 QB.

If Kyle Allen can't even beat a Punter for the backup job that's a bad omen for him.

Barkley looked better today I’d say 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That is something I've noticed, too. Barkley keeps getting written down. 

The only QB we have had as a backup who I wanted to keep was Trubisky. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

That is something I've noticed, too. Barkley keeps getting written down. 

The only QB we have had as a backup who I wanted to keep was Trubisky. 

I liked Davis Webb as well. Certainly not for his play but I believe he was a huge help to Josh in seeing things the right way.

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Barkley looked better today I’d say 

But did Barkley look good or was KA just bad? 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I liked Davis Webb as well. Certainly not for his play but I believe he was a huge help to Josh in seeing things the right way.

But did Barkley look good or was KA just bad? 

Honestly. Was tough to tell from where I was position on the sideline. But I’d say Barkley looked better and more accurate from where I could see them. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.