Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

19 hours ago, Gregg said:

They need Allen to do a lot less running. Think of John Elway. Early in his career Elway would scramble and run a lot. They weren't designed runs like Allen has but Elway did run. Later in his career with Terrell Davis doing the running Elway was able to focus on just throwing the ball. The Bills need to find that for Allen. If Harris can stay healthy (big if) then he can help do that. If not, then Beane has to find someone who can.

Yes, think of John Elway...who didn't win an SB until the Broncos found a strong run game, along with a top RB under HC Mike Shanahan.  Denver RB Terrell Davis and that run-block scheme allowed Davis to run for 2000 yards, and 21 TDs, in 1998. Davis, a 6th-round pick? 

Just think, with opponents gearing up to stop a strong Buffalo power run game would leave Allen to do what he did at the end of 2021...just destroy teams!

C'mon Beane, build that O line.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HugeHeffner11 said:

Not behind the lines McDummy and the Beaner put in front of him.  Luckily, Josh is so big and strong other wise he would be crippled already.

I said we could use an upgrade on the line, I  mean I put it in BOLD but you seemed to miss my point about Josh acting like a RB. He needs to stop that, for his own sake. He can help prolong his career by NOT trying to run people over or leaping over players. Leave that 💩 for the RB. He’s big and strong, sure, but he’s also…NOT a robot. Don’t blame the line for Josh taking unnecessary hits. 
Mcdummy and Beaner?!?!

• 4 weeks later...

I trust Beane completely. The mental errors we’ve made (occasionally) haven’t been because of Beane. We are going to get a Super Bowl win with him eventually. Heck, we should have had two Super Bowl wins over the past few years, in my opinion

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think bringing in Von Miller signaled that were on the cusp long before we earned it. The defense started coasting after that. We need to draft and develop young players independent of big names. We want long term success like the Steelers not a bought one off Super Bowl like the Rams. We're a blue collar organization not a Hollywood driven star franchise

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

NFL.com has released its GM power rankings. Beane is 4th!

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-gm-power-rankings-eagles-howie-roseman-reigns-while-brad-holmes-makes-his-ma

"4) Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

I don't put the Bills' inability to get over the hump on the front office. Rather, I blame it on randomness (2020 and '21) and injuries (2022). That said, the team might need to revisit the relative lack of weight that is put into offensive resources compared with McDermott's defense. A solid D can only take you so far in this era, and the team's shortcomings on the offensive line and skill positions around Josh Allen showed up in 2022.

Beane made some low-cost moves in free agency (Damien Harris, Deonte Harty, Connor McGovern) that look smart enough on paper -- they are also similar to moves from 2022 that didn't work out well. His drafts have been less inspiring over the last four years, with 2021 first-rounder Greg Rousseau being the biggest difference-maker among them. The Bills have built and maintained a superpower over the last six years since Beane was hired, but their best work was done in the building stages. Can they do it again with different players around Allen?"

Full list:

1. Howie Roseman, Philadelphia

2. Brett Veach, KC

3. Duke Tobin, Cincy

4. Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott, Buffalo

5. John Lynch/Kyle Shanahan, SF

6. Les Snead/Sean McVay, LA Rams

7. Brad Holmes, Detroit

8. Brian Gutekunst, GB

9. John Schneider, Seattle

10. Jerry Jones, Dallas

11. Bill Belichick, New England

12. Tom Telesco, LA Chargers

13. Eric DeCosta, Baltimore

14. Mickey Loomis, New Orleans

15. Chris Grier, Miami

16. Joe Douglas, NY Jets

17. Jason Licht, Tampa Bay

18.Chris Ballard, Indianapolis

19. Andrew Berry, Cleveland

20. Trent Baalke, JAX

21. Terry Fontenot, Atlanta

22. Ron Rivera, Martin Mayhew, Washington

23. Scott Fitterer, Carolina

24. Nick Caserio, Houston

25. Geroge Paton, Denver

Too New:

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Minnesota Vikings

Ran Carthon, Tennessee Titans

Omar Khan, Pittsburgh Steelers

Monti Ossenfort, Arizona Cardinals

Ryan Poles, Chicago

Joe Schoen, New York Giants

Dave Ziegler, Las Vegas Raiders:

• Like (+1) 1

Beane has been a very good GM, as is attested to his rankings amongst the leagues GMs, at or near the top since he has been here.  Sure he like ALL GMs wiff on picks, the draft is a crap shoot as we all know. The Bills went from a running joke to a perennial contender with Beane running the show, what’s not to like? 

yah yah, we all want a Super Bowl win…, 

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

So, I'm bumping my own thread. There was a lot of spirited debate on this one, but I think this offseason has really validated the original premise.

I'm actually astounded by what we've done.  Heading into FA & being significantly over cap, I had no expectations.  We only really lost Edmunds.  Key players have been extended.  We've added upgrades at RB, WR, TE, both lines. We've gotten more physical, and built depth.  Our pass rush will be better, as will our ability to protect Allen.

On paper, this is arguably the best team of the JA era.  I don't think it's a crazy stretch to say that it might be the best team in Buffalo's history, or at least in the top 2-3.

I don't think it warrants a "well, we have to see how the season plays out." Beane has done his job, and done it as well as I think anyone could.  It's all in the hands of the coaching staff & players now.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Success said:

So, I'm bumping my own thread. There was a lot of spirited debate on this one, but I think this offseason has really validated the original premise.

I'm actually astounded by what we've done.  Heading into FA & being significantly over cap, I had no expectations.  We only really lost Edmunds.  Key players have been extended.  We've added upgrades at RB, WR, TE, both lines. We've gotten more physical, and built depth.  Our pass rush will be better, as will our ability to protect Allen.

On paper, this is arguably the best team of the JA era.  I don't think it's a crazy stretch to say that it might be the best team in Buffalo's history, or at least in the top 2-3.

I don't think it warrants a "well, we have to see how the season plays out." Beane has done his job, and done it as well as I think anyone could.  It's all in the hands of the coaching staff & players now.  

Beane has built a team that is consistently in the top 8.  This is a fact. Nothing to dispute. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Success said:

Agree.  With this signing we can say with confidence that at every position group the Bills are no worse then equal and in some cases are much better versus last season:

*  QB = 2022

*  Kicking = 2022

*  WR slightly better then 2022

*  TE slightly better then 2022

*  RB much better then 2022

*  O line much better then 2022 (went from bad to average which is a big improvement).

*  D Line slightly better then 2022

*  LB = 2022

*  DB's much better then 2022 when you factor in returns from injury.

And coaching has a chance to be much better as McD takes over the D and Dorsey has a year of experience behind him.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/15/2023 at 6:33 PM, NewEra said:

I’m happy with the offseason so far.  

Edmunds price of 18M was too much.  he resisted the temptation and played that card correctly imo. 

Poyer-  He held his ground and played things perfectly as he kept a great working relationship with JP, enough so that he would return.  He’s a leader and would have been missed.  

mcgovern-  looks like a huge upgrade over Saffold in pass protection….and that’s really what matters most.  The move could also help both OG spots of Bates moves to LG and performs better than he did at RG-  

Harty-  I’ve been a fan of the kid for a few years, so I absolutely love this signing.  I think he’ll be a WR along with some gadgets. Dorsey needs to make him shine.  Maybe our PR too (but I’m worried about the fumbles)

martin- stud punter-  didn’t overpay

Matakavich- lol

Dodson-  capable backup- knows the system-  hopefully won’t have to play.  

tendered Dane- solid depth. 

Resigned Cam Lewis 

hole falling GIF

Well Well Well.... Look who got his giphy back. Stylin :D 

On 4/13/2023 at 8:05 PM, stuvian said:

I think bringing in Von Miller signaled that were on the cusp long before we earned it. The defense started coasting after that. We need to draft and develop young players independent of big names. We want long term success like the Steelers not a bought one off Super Bowl like the Rams. We're a blue collar organization not a Hollywood driven star franchise

ID be happy with either...you are obviously post drought

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Agree.  With this signing we can say with confidence that at every position group the Bills are no worse then equal and in some cases are much better versus last season:

*  QB = 2022

*  Kicking = 2022

*  WR slightly better then 2022

*  TE slightly better then 2022

*  RB much better then 2022

*  O line much better then 2022 (went from bad to average which is a big improvement).

*  D Line slightly better then 2022

*  LB = 2022

*  DB's much better then 2022 when you factor in returns from injury.

And coaching has a chance to be much better as McD takes over the D and Dorsey has a year of experience behind him.

They definitely got worse at LB unless somebody breaks out and plays like a total stud at MLB. I agree with the rest tho.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I think we’ve upgraded in every position with the exception of LB and WR. Nothing proves that we’ve upgraded. At least not yet. 

Have no idea who will make the team and shape out the position but I'm confident we're better at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

What did he do that puts him above being judged beyond seeing how the season plays out?  He signed a 31 year old pass rusher in June after multiple misses in the draft in Epenesa and Basham a day after he gave Oliver a $68 million extension.  If it works, it was a great move.  If it doesn’t, he shouldn’t get a pass, though.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Have no idea who will make the team and shape out the position but I'm confident we're better at WR.

Still no factual proof that we are. I’m with you. I think we will be better. But to say for a fact that we are, or that on paper we are, is a false. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.