Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

10 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Who is that player? Our highest is under $20m I believe. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/#:~:text=Current Contract&text=In 2023%2C Allen will earn,dead cap value of %2471%2C289%2C124.

Josh Allen signed a 6 year, $258,034,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $16,500,000 signing bonus, $150,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $43,005,667.

On 3/17/2023 at 2:56 PM, Eastport bills said:

You must be toughened up living in enemy territory. Those fools in Miami think they will be the big dogs in the AFCE now. Living down there is everyone’s dream. Sounds like a great situation you have and a Bills fan to boot. Nicely done.

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  My girlfriend suggested Fort Lauderdale two years ago to move to part time.  (our kids are grown)  We went down there to check out places and lucked into an apartment on the 42nd floor of a really cool high rise.  Amazing balcony view looking east about 2 and a half miles from the ocean right next to the New River.  Get to see boats going by our building all day long.  And there are plenty of flights nonstop between Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale everyday on Delta.  And pretty reasonably priced too.    

The Miami fans don't have much to say.  Because they know we have pretty much owned them for the last many years.  And seriously, how can you bash Josh Allen regardless of who you root for?!  And there are a lot of transplanted Buffalo fans in S Florida.  (the backup TE for the Dolphins Durham Smyth lives in my building.  Met him in the elevator one day.  One tall dude)   

24 minutes ago, Niagara said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/#:~:text=Current Contract&text=In 2023%2C Allen will earn,dead cap value of %2471%2C289%2C124.

Josh Allen signed a 6 year, $258,034,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $16,500,000 signing bonus, $150,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $43,005,667.

Beane has wizarded the cap hit for josh down the road. 47 mil next year, 56 the following. Only 18 this year. 

Edited by Chaos

39 minutes ago, Niagara said:

Avg means jack. The fact the hit goes up in future years makes spending more now important. Lots of guys have been getting one year or short deals. 

and some how Mahomes with a bigger contract are still able to add $20m per players. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  My girlfriend suggested Fort Lauderdale two years ago to move to part time.  (our kids are grown)  We went down there to check out places and lucked into an apartment on the 42nd floor of a really cool high rise.  Amazing balcony view looking east about 2 and a half miles from the ocean right next to the New River.  Get to see boats going by our building all day long.  And there are plenty of flights nonstop between Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale everyday on Delta.  And pretty reasonably priced too.    

The Miami fans don't have much to say.  Because they know we have pretty much owned them for the last many years.  And seriously, how can you bash Josh Allen regardless of who you root for?!  And there are a lot of transplanted Buffalo fans in S Florida.  (the backup TE for the Dolphins Durham Smyth lives in my building.  Met him in the elevator one day.  One tall dude)   

Nicely orchestrated by a couple great Bills fans. Just imagining watching the Bills with my favorite beverage with boats passing in the background. Not too bad. Little concerned with the lack of activity in FA with Rogers and an improved Dolphins team in the AFCE. 

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Avg means jack. The fact the hit goes up in future years makes spending more now important. Lots of guys have been getting one year or short deals. 

and some how Mahomes with a bigger contract are still able to add $20m per players. 

This. We likely have 1-2 years to get this right. We need to do everything in our power to get a 1B WR to pair next to Diggs. If that means trading Ed or someone else to make that happen, you do it. This is the year to do it. We have to find ways to out gun Cinci and KC. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't buy you either win it all or everything is failure. Of course the target should be winning it all. But it takes so much coming together to produce a Superbowl Champion. Including lady luck shining on you at key moments. 

YAY!  Let’s play for meaningless AFCE titles! It’s been 4 years.  The only aim should be a SB.  Good lord 

• Dislike 1

Just now, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

YAY!  Let’s play for meaningless AFCE titles! It’s been 4 years.  The only aim should be a SB.  Good lord 

The only aim should be. I agree. But the idea that anything short of that should be classified as failure.... I mean I just don't think 31 teams fail each year. It isn't realistic.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The only aim should be. I agree. But the idea that anything short of that should be classified as failure.... I mean I just don't think 31 teams fail each year. It isn't realistic.

Well it depends on how you fail.  If you have a bunch of injuries across the DL and all the guys you drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds to get to the QB can’t sniff him I think that’s failure.  If you’ve only drafted 1 starting OL in 4 years and he’s horrible, that’s failure.  If your idea of giving Josh the best weapons to succeed is settling for Singletary, a FA RB, who is getting zero attention on the open market I think that’s failure. We’ve been to 1 AFCG in the last 4 years and got blown out.  That’s failure IMO

Edited by Shanahan's Horseshoe

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Success for most sports fans is against expectations. For example, I am a big St. Bonnies basketball fan.  An A-10 title and/or a trip to the NCAA's is a successful season.  A bid to the NCAA tournament is not a successful year for North Carolina or Kentucky though. 

Its a bit different in the NFL.  Texans fan's are not going into next season expecting to win a super bowl.  Nor were Bills fans 10 years ago.   Its kudos to the McBeane regime that the have rasied the bar.  But the bar is raised. After the 2020 season, no one expected a regression to losing in the divisional round of the playoffs.  But due to 13 seconds we finished further back in 2021 season than the 2020 season.  However most fans were expecting at least a return to the championship game in 2022, and we fell well short of that goal, getting spanked in the divisional round.   The bar has been somewhat lowered now, most Bills fans will be happy to get to the AFC Championship game next year, and will consider a super bowl appearance a great season.   I think people start looking being upset with sports managements when they are realistically need to lower thier expectations in the near future.  So 31 teams don't feel.   Without reviewing the results, I would guess about 8 teams a year exceed expectations enough to consider the season a success.  

Edited by Chaos

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s reasonable to assume only 5-6 teams have a significant chance for that “ultimate success” though.  The rest aren’t really “failing”, as they weren’t legitimate contenders. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Well it depends on how you fail.  If you have a bunch of injuries across the DL and all the guys you drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds to get to the QB can’t sniff him I think that’s failure.  If you’ve only drafted 1 starting OL in 4 years and he’s horrible, that’s failure.  If your idea of giving Josh the best weapons to succeed is settling for Singletary, a FA RB, who is getting zero attention on the open market I think that’s failure. We’ve been to 1 AFCG in the last 4 years and got blown out.  That’s failure IMO

Is your horseshoe upside down?   😋

Are the Bengals failures? They lost a SB and missed a chance to go to another. There is a gray area unless you have rings to show for your season. We are consistently near the peak of the NFL pyramid. Need a few upgrades and some luck. 

Almost every fan base in the league would love to trade places with us. Let’s try to keep some perspective. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Success for most sports fans is against expectations. For example, I am a big St. Bonnies basketball fan.  An A-10 title and/or a trip to the NCAA's is a successful season.  A bid to the NCAA tournament is not a successful year for North Carolina or Kentucky though. 

Its a bit different in the NFL.  Texans fan's are not going into next season expecting to win a super bowl.  Nor were Bills fans 10 years ago.   Its kudos to the McBeane regime that the have rasied the bar.  But the bar is raised. After the 2020 season, no one expected a regression to losing in the divisional round of the playoffs.  But due to 13 seconds we finished further back in 2021 season than the 2020 season.  However most fans were expecting at least a return to the championship game in 2022, and we fell well short of that goal, getting spanked in the divisional round.   The bar has been somewhat lowered now, most Bills fans will be happy to get to the AFC Championship game next year, and will consider a super bowl appearance a great season.   I think people start looking being upset with sports managements when they are realistically need to lower thier expectations in the near future.  So 31 teams don't feel.   Without reviewing the results, I would guess about 8 teams a year exceed expectations enough to consider the season a success.  

Whether fans are upset or not is not the right barometer for success and failure. 

Personally I think Bills fans perceptions are partially warped from having been in division with greatest dynasty in NFL history for 20 years. 

What I will say is big picture if the Bills get a 10-12 year run of elite QB play from Allen (we have had 3 so far) and don't win a Lombardi in the big picture that is failure. I think it is easier to judge on that level of sample size because the inbuilt and inherent randomness of sport - especially the NFL - is more likely to balance itself out over that period than over a single season.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Whether fans are upset or not is not the right barometer for success and failure. 

Personally I think Bills fans perceptions are partially warped from having been in division with greatest dynasty in NFL history for 20 years. 

What I will say is big picture if the Bills get a 10-12 year run of elite QB play from Allen (we have had 3 so far) and don't win a Lombardi in the big picture that is failure. I think it is easier to judge on that level of sample size because the inbuilt and inherent randomness of sport - especially the NFL - is more likely to balance itself out over that period than over a single season.

Fans are customers. Every single one is entitled to their personal opinion of whether or not the team succeeded.  Its a strange customer relationship, because most fans will continue to buy the product they are disappointed in.

From a management perspective success is measured by owner happiness. Full stop. Owners tend to have some concern for fan's opinions of where things are at, but they are the final arbiters.   The average NFL coach lasts a couple of years.  A few outliers like Jeff Fisher can last 20 years without winning a championship.  That vast majority of owners wouldn't have kept Fisher for that long. In the end, its all measured by money. 

Edited by Chaos

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is your horseshoe upside down?   😋

Are the Bengals failures? They lost a SB and missed a chance to go to another. There is a gray area unless you have rings to show for your season. We are consistently near the peak of the NFL pyramid. Need a few upgrades and some luck. 

Almost every fan base in the league would love to trade places with us. Let’s try to keep some perspective. 

Peak of the NFL pyramid? Not in the playoffs. There’s a lot less luck involved in the NFL than other sports. 1&2 seeds go the majority of the time. 
We haven’t won a AFCCG in 4 years. The one we made we were blown out.  
The Bengals beat KC in arrowhead in the AFCCG in the first year of their run. This year was their second year, they walked into OP and thoroughly whooped our a$$. Then lost on a last second kick on their second straight AFCCG in KC against the eventual champs. So comparing the Bengals in their second year of their run to us, in year 4,  is insane.
No matter how much you don’t want to believe it, the Bengals have passed up by and its soley because of Beane’s failure to build the OL/DL and surround Josh with another weapon not named Diggs. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Fans are customers. Every single one is entitled to their personal opinion of whether or not the team succeeded.  Its a strange customer relationship, because most fans will continue to buy the product they are disappointed in.

From a management perspective success is measured by owner happiness. Full stop. Owners tend to have some concern for fan's opinions of where things are at, but they are the final arbiters.   The average NFL coach lasts a couple of years.  A few outliers like Jeff Fisher can last 20 years without winning a championship.  That vast majority of owners wouldn't have kept Fisher for that long. In the end, its all measured by money. 

Sorry, but it seems you lost everything after the bold. That  made a lot of sense to me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.