Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

First I will say Beane is far from a top GM. While the other teams are improving or fixing holes in their roster, so far he's done little to fix anything. 

Second, I don't get this fan base at all. Many seem to have the attitude of "just happy to be here". Meaning you're just happy to have a playoff contender year in, year out after missing the playoffs for so long. Same with the stadium, most are just happy the Bills are staying. This fan base should expect more. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

A scrambling GM kicking the can down the road, trying to correct the frivolous overspending on FAs, doesn’t make a top GM.  So far, he’s sitting back and watching the FA pool dry up. A seriously injured Hardy, a guard from Dallas and bringing back one our own FAs is going to close the gap on KC and Cinn. Maybe overpaying  the punter and a special teamer is his defining off-season move. Once again this guy is setting the stage for Josh to have to pull a rabbit out of his rear end for us remain competitive. Are we trying to win a championship or trying to mark time until we get the new stadium.

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

First I will say Beane is far from a top GM. While the other teams are improving or fixing holes in their roster, so far he's done little to fix anything. 

Second, I don't get this fan base at all. Many seem to have the attitude of "just happy to be here". Meaning you're just happy to have a playoff contender year in, year out after missing the playoffs for so long. Same with the stadium, most are just happy the Bills are staying. This fan base should expect more. 

Been a rough offseason this far. Hoping there are some moves still to be made. But the sense seems to be we can just this thing back with a lessor team banking on better luck this year. 

Last year at this point I would not hesitate to put money down on a Bills Super Bowl. Now I am not sure we can win the East, let alone a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Been a rough offseason this far. Hoping there are some moves still to be made. But the sense seems to be we can just this thing back with a lessor team banking on better luck this year. 

Last year at this point I would not hesitate to put money down on a Bills Super Bowl. Now I am not sure we can win the East, let alone a Super Bowl. 

That feeling is starting to get a lot of traction. The shame is Josh is being exposed to injury if he has to the offense.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

What is your source of information for this? What does fully healthy mean? Does that mean he will play at his 2020 level of play? Or his late 2022 level of play?

Yea fully healthy isn't the issue. Does he play like he is scared to commit as he did last year? If so he is the worst value player on the roster. If we get the old Tre back he is one of the best 4 players on the roster. At the moment it feels 50/50 to me.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

We will still win the East as long as Josh is healthy. We are still the best team. I am very confident of that. 

But we are further away from a Superbowl than we felt a year ago. It sucks that 2022 was so injury affected because it really was the optimum year to do it. That said, a year ago lots were predicting a down year of sorts for KC but they nailed another draft their 2nd year players took another step and they ended up winning it all. So while I agree the offseason has been uninspiring thus far I am not pressing the panic button yet.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I'm not like that.  I lived through the '90's, somehow.  I won't die with any sense of peace unless we get a title.

I'm curious what your expectations were for this FA. We started way over cap. We cleared space, but we've spent what we created on a starting guard and a WR who will contribute, and maybe we have enough left for another mid-level starter or depth.

Would you have rather used that money on one player who was at more of an elite level?  I'm not sure how much more Beane could have done here.  My expectations were low, because we made a big splash last offseason, and I knew we didn't have cash.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea fully healthy isn't the issue. Does he play like he is scared to commit as he did last year? If so he is the worst value player on the roster. If we get the old Tre back he is one of the best 4 players on the roster. At the moment it feels 50/50 to me.

We will still win the East as long as Josh is healthy. We are still the best team. I am very confident of that. 

But we are further away from a Superbowl than we felt a year ago. It sucks that 2022 was so injury affected because it really was the optimum year to do it. That said, a year ago lots were predicting a down year of sorts for KC but they nailed another draft their 2nd year players took another step and they ended up winning it all. So while I agree the offseason has been uninspiring thus far I am not pressing the panic button yet.

We need a draft like KC had last year. 

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

A scrambling GM kicking the can down the road, trying to correct the frivolous overspending on FAs, doesn’t make a top GM.  So far, he’s sitting back and watching the FA pool dry up. A seriously injured Hardy, a guard from Dallas and bringing back one our own FAs is going to close the gap on KC and Cinn. Maybe overpaying  the punter and a special teamer is his defining off-season move. Once again this guy is setting the stage for Josh to have to pull a rabbit out of his rear end for us remain competitive. Are we trying to win a championship or trying to mark time until we get the new stadium.

Perfectly said 

Again. I’m going to go back to beanes end of year presser. You could sense / it was a completely diff tone /vibe he gave off Writing was on the wall. The Super Bowl window run was :13 kc. They got hot at the right time w Allen and daboll. And mcdermott / Frazier defense and special teams choked it away

last year Von hurt and a lot of bad stuff happened. But they were going to lose to cincy even if Von played. 

I wasn’t expecting anything this FA. This is a talent acquisition business. He must HIT on the draft. And he must HIT on flyer / diamond in the rough players. 

so far McGovern and Harty are exactly the start to the latter process. Not signing edmunds was the RIGHT move.

they better have a player in Bernard 

it’s gonna take this and next years draft AND to absolutely crush it 

and Allen has to ascend to mahommes mvp level. That’s it. There’s no secret here 

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We will win the east. However even if we go 17-0, we won't know if any improvements made matter until the divisional round of the playoffs. 17-0 would be a blast, but it will take patience to get to the real answer. 

Inner thought. Not sure if I believe this, but…

Damar injury changed the mindset of this team and coaching staff. How many times did we hear stuff like this is just a game, there things more important than football, etc. We heard way more of that than win for Damar or similar. So the question is did this team lose an edge? Is the commitment to winning less important than life and family? 
Diggs has publicly said he is not sure he handled the Damar situation right. He was the one person saying the game must go on. He left the locker room alone in what seemed awkward. Did that cause a divide? Is that the root of issues with the team? Is he questioning the desire to win?

Couple this with Kim Pegula. Is the organization as a whole less concerned about winning? Had an awakening that winning us not everything? 
While all true not great for a fan hoping to have his team win a Super Bowl. Everyone just seems down and without saying it that a Super Bowl is no longer goal 1. 

Edited by ngbills

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Inner thought. Not sure if I believe this, but…

Damar injury changed the mindset of this team and coaching staff. How many times did we hear stuff like this is just a game, there things more important than football, etc. We heard way more of that than win for Damar or similar. So the question is did this team lose an edge? Is the commitment to winning less important than life and family? 
Diggs has publicly said he is not sure he handled the Damar situation right. He was the one person saying the game must go on. He left the locker room alone in what seemed awkward. Did that cause a divide? Is that the root of issues with the team? Is he questioning the desire to win?

Couple this with Kim Pegula. Is the organization as a whole less concerned about winning? Had an awakening that winning us not everything? 
While all true not great for a fan hoping to have his team win a Super Bowl. Everyone just seems down and without saying it that a Super Bowl is no longer goal 1. 

Yea I mean it was REAL shhit / atypical off-field and on field tragedies. 

diggs did just force his way/ had to prove who he said he was thru security  into the UCincy hospital after the game to be bedside tho. 

36 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We will win the east. However even if we go 17-0, we won't know if any improvements made matter until the divisional round of the playoffs. 17-0 would be a blast, but it will take patience to get to the real answer. 

Yea I don't buy you either win it all or everything is failure. Of course the target should be winning it all. But it takes so much coming together to produce a Superbowl Champion. Including lady luck shining on you at key moments. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This "Beane Is A Bum" mentality is truly bizarre.  We are coming off of our 3rd division straight division title and 3rd straight year of winning at least 1 playoff game.  Fans are upset with the lack of transformation of the roster that accomplished this and we are just 4 days into free agency.  I look around and yes I do see division rivals making moves.  Personally, I am glad that we are not the team that feels compelled to take some of those risks.  I find it natural that the team that won its division by FIVE games would be looking for lesser change, than their rivals trying to make up for that sizable gap.  

Let the Jets roll the dice on the prospect of Rodgers having a good trip this year.  For Aaron, last year's trip didn't seem too euphoric for anyone with fortunes closely tied to it.  Let Miami take on Jalen Ramsey.  He's been a real difference maker vs Josh hasn't he?  Last year, their big move was to add "Bills Killer" Tyreek Hill.  And they still lost 2 of 3 to Buffalo including playoff elimination for their efforts.  Let them figure out what to do at QB if Tua works out, or if he doesn't.  They are screwed either way.  If they pay Tua, what do they have to sacrifice among Hill, Waddle (who will want to be paid big $) Chubb, Ramsey, Jalen Phillips, Wilkins etc...  The point being that all of our division rivals would trade places with us, no questions asked. Our future is simply brighter than theirs, and they would love nothing more than to see us panic and start making wholesale changes.  And I am very OK with a secondary of Poyer, Hyde, White, Elam and Jackson.  C'mon man... Back away from the disappointment of the playoff loss and get real.

Cincinnati?  Now there is an offseason to be concerned with.  They have lost both safeties.  They have swapped one unhappy LT for a more expensive malcontent.  They have lost Hayden Hurst and they still haven't even begun to deal with Burrow or T Higgins.  And their ownership group isn't know for throwing around even well deserved extensions.  They just signed CODY FORD.  Must be good times ahead in the jungle there.  Their window will be short.  

And the reality of KC is that life is going to be easier for them as long as they have 15, just like is was for NE when the had 12.  That doesn't mean we need to panic.  We have held our own competing with them.  It doesn't get easier, but that doesn't make Beane a bum for failing to have a magic wand to erase that reality.

Wake up.  This is NFL 2023.  There is no football entitlement.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

So, I’m all on the everything must go to the offense this year - train 

BUT who’s playing DL this year ?

it’s Oliver , settle , and DQ. And a bunch of fringe roster guys 

AjE , groot, boogie , and a bunch of fringe roster guys ( Kingsley , Mike love ect) 

they have Von as LB on bills site but can’t count on his return until really late 

one of three things have to happen :

1) we are COMPLETELY changing our scheme / style on D 

2) we are rolling w fringe guys and DRAFTING SOME PPL this year

3) we are signing an Ingram , Dunlap , jjp ?

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't buy you either win it all or everything is failure. Of course the target should be winning it all. But it takes so much coming together to produce a Superbowl Champion. Including lady luck shining on you at key moments. 

I get that @GunnerBill

Josh Allen is an elite QB and while I realize how much goes into winning a Championship. I think its imperative the Buffalo Bills do everything possible known to mankind to win a Championship now while Josh Allen is in his prime IMO. Playoffs takes you up aginst the best O gurus in the league by way of coaching. Bills OC Ken Dorsey might be the weak link IMO.

Hopefully GM Beane is taking this under consideration...

15 minutes ago, Figster said:

I get that @GunnerBill

Josh Allen is an elite QB and while I realize how much goes into winning a Championship. I think its imperative the Buffalo Bills do everything possible known to mankind to win a Championship now while Josh Allen is in his prime IMO. Playoffs takes you up aginst the best O gurus in the league by way of coaching. Bills OC Ken Dorsey might be the weak link IMO.

Hopefully GM Beane is taking this under consideration...

This. Can’t bank on having an elite qb forever. Bills fans should know this. You have to do what it takes to win when you do. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/15/2023 at 6:41 PM, Einstein said:

I understand that you have to sign some of your own, but the unfortunate part is that we do not have enough cap space to get new players.

Of our 2 new players, 1 has never made it through a full football season and has been on IR at some point for 2 of the last 3 seasons. The other was the 68th ranked free agent, according to NFL.com

It is hard paying one player 40-50 million, and expect a good team.

Edited by Niagara

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.