Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

Beane has done an OK job as GM in 2023 thus far. Not overpaying for Edumonds and signing Poyer on a short-term deal was the right move given the circumstances. McGov was a nice addition to the O-line and Harty is a good role player add as he makes for an elite punt returner and a speedy gadget player. They also kept the core ST unit intact which is solid. But there still exists some concerning areas of the roster. RT and slot WR are areas of concern on offense as is depth on the O-line and the need for a backup RB (although given the cooling market I suspect Singletary will be back). Defensively Poyer is a nice re-signing but defensively there is still a big hole at MLB. Hopefully there are a few more moves to be made to sure up the roster ahead of the draft. I suspect WR will be a top priority in the draft as unless there is a trade made there aren't any real impact WR free agents left on the market.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I was ecstatic to have him back.  I kind of look at him as this team's Kyle Williams.  Both great leaders.  Both hard workers.  Both very good players.  

I split my time between Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale.  The weather in S Florida is ridiculous.  Sunny and warm almost every day.  It was unseasonably cold on Christmas this year.  Did not get over 50.  But that was an anomoly.  It was near 90 last Saturday.

My business is in Georgia.  So I do have to pay state taxes.  

You must be toughened up living in enemy territory. Those fools in Miami think they will be the big dogs in the AFCE now. Living down there is everyone’s dream. Sounds like a great situation you have and a Bills fan to boot. Nicely done.

2 hours ago, Radar said:

For me.....too hot in Florida and I don't like crawling slithering things. Guess I'm just a northeast guy.

Agreed. And the tap water tastes like well-traveled beach sand steeped in rotten seaweed. And I could go on and on, but I'm short on time. 

Homer Simpson said it best: "Florida?! But that's America's Wang!"

7 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Well said. I know Poyer wanted Miami. Can you imagine what an advantage it is to have no state tax and perfect weather. We were lucky to get him back.

you might have gotten a little carried away with the word perfect here.

irma-miami-beach.jpegUS-HURRICANE-IAN-SLAMS-INTO-WEST-COAST-O

16 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Compared to the Dec/Jan Buffalo survivalist specials we absorbed, it’s pretty perfect. I know there’s been weather disasters but all in all pretty good.

more Floridians  died in Hurricaine Ian than Buffalonians did in Winter storms

to be honest I don't want to be in Florida during Hurricaine season nor would I want to be there in the summer

and I sure don't want to be in Buffalo in the winter

1 hour ago, Kiva said:

We have gaping holes at ilb, cb, ol. Beane needs to do better.

Imo

We have a gaping hole at CB?

You know we drafted Elam in the 1st last year and Tre White is fully healthy, while Taron Johnson is one of the best Nickel corners in the league and there's even better depth now with Benford and Dane Jackson as great #4 and #5 options.

What exactly does Beane need to do better there?

22 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

more Floridians  died in Hurricaine Ian than Buffalonians did in Winter storms

to be honest I don't want to be in Florida during Hurricaine season nor would I want to be there in the summer

and I sure don't want to be in Buffalo in the winter

Chances are if you live a reasonable distance from the ocean you’ll survive hurricane season but from Nov to June give me  Fla all day long. I’m sure any NFL FA would concur. Now after May all bets are off. You have 4 or 5 hours to play golf or be active outdoors before you’re inside.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Chances are if you live a reasonable distance from the ocean you’ll survive hurricane season but from Nov to June give me  Fla all day long. I’m sure any NFL FA would concur. Now after May all bets are off. You have 4 or 5 hours to play golf or be active outdoors before you’re inside.

Yeah I know, I was visiting my mother in Leesburg when Ian cut through the state....  We got tropical storm winds but that was it besides the rain

8 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

We have a gaping hole at CB?

You know we drafted Elam in the 1st last year and Tre White is fully healthy, while Taron Johnson is one of the best Nickel corners in the league and there's even better depth now with Benford and Dane Jackson as great #4 and #5 options.

What exactly does Beane need to do better there?

Find a true #2cb. It’s obvious coaches don’t trust Elam, hes second string. Benford and Dane are a dime a dozen. Taron, I don’t agree is one of the best nickels in the league. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Kiva said:

Find a true #2cb. It’s obvious coaches don’t trust Elam, hes second string. Benford and Dane are a dime a dozen. Taron, I don’t agree is one of the best nickels in the league. 

You post very intelligent positive stuff. 

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

But there still exists some concerning areas of the roster. RT and slot WR are areas of concern on offense 

Beane seems to have more faith in Spencer Brown than you and many of the fans on this board do. He consistently defends him by saying that his having back surgery and missing all of the Offseason while being knicked up through the season was the root of his problems.

I'm sure he'll bring in another Tackle in FA or the mid rounds of the Draft to be competition for Brown and at least be our swing Tackle off the bench to replace David Quessenberry. But he's not going out and signing some big name guy to a big contract to be an outright replacement.

And Slot WR? If you'd have said a 3rd and 4th Outside WR, I'd agree. But Khalil Shakir showed to be our best Slot WR last season in limited action and is due for more reps. Deonte Harty also plays Slot. We have no need for another Slot WR. That's why McKenzie was released after we signed Harty to replace him.

Slot is covered. We need more guys who can play on the boundary. We can't be in a situation like we were last year where if Diggs or Davis is banged up, we put out Jake Kumerow.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A scrambling GM kicking the can down the road, trying to correct the frivolous overspending on FAs, doesn’t make a top GM.  So far, he’s sitting back and watching the FA pool dry up. A seriously injured Hardy, a guard from Dallas and bringing back one our own FAs is going to close the gap on KC and Cinn. Maybe overpaying  the punter and a special teamer is his defining off-season move. Once again this guy is setting the stage for Josh to have to pull a rabbit out of his rear end for us remain competitive. Are we trying to win a championship or trying to mark time until we get the new stadium.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Absolutely! I love it!

Now, if we could just put Beane’s face under the helmet, it would be perfect…😉

Hilarious.  It’s funny when I hear that ominous song on the Empire I always think of BB and the Cheats when they had Brady.

Now I think of the Raiders as that stadium looks like the Death Star.

Can’t you just hear BB and he sounds like this..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.