Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

How did you do during the drought years?

The drought years were awful
Some of us has been around since before the Super Bowl years so we’ve seen it all

But that’s just it we remember whenever it was like the bills really were a piss poor franchise ran by a piss, poor management

I for one whenever I see people compare them to that group do you get frustrated Brandon been is the best GM we’ve ever had

• Like (+1) 2

He’s a top GM because he drafted Allen and traded for Diggs. 

Franchise altering moves. 

Everything else about him seems average to above average, bolstered by an owner that has deeeeeep pockets. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

He’s a top GM because he drafted Allen and traded for Diggs. 

Franchise altering moves. 

Everything else about him seems average to above average, bolstered by an owner that has deeeeeep pockets. 

Well said. It will hard to ever question him because the Allen pick and seeing stuff in him that many, myself included.  Diggs trade was awesome (though we might have traded the best receiver in the nfl but it’s still a win win). 

but that’s the hard part of being successful. His job gets harder every year with Allen’s contract and having good talent. This is the part we will see if he is one of those special GMs because it’s really hard now.

• Like (+1) 1

beane is solid good....but pump the brakes on "top" gm. if it wasn't for josh he'd be in serious trouble.

for me, we are treading water.....not getting better, but not getting worse

lets start with restructures the big 3 of josh, diggs & von who total $40 mil of cap this year. BUT, they total $100 mil next yr.....thats a positive short term and a  negative long term.

the loss of tremaine edmunds is huge. it was the right decision....but it doesnt make us better.

the addition of mcgovern is an upgrade over saffold....that makes us better

bringing back poyer is a positive....but keeps us the same

Harty is a slight upgrade over the slot guys mckenzie, beasley, crowder.  upgrade in return game depth.

martin, matkovich, dotson, dane, lewis keep us the same

we probably have enough cap space for 1 more mid level vet ....OL or LB  

then the upgrades will come from hitting on the draft....not always a sure thing

i predict we win the AFCE and go 12-5

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

How did you do during the drought years?

They weren’t fun. I think the fact that I moved to FSU territory in ‘89 helped. I’m a big fan of the Noles. I moved here at the beginning of a 18-20 year run. True story: bar hopping with buddies in the mid nineties while wearing a Bills shirt when a dude wearing Giants gear decided to talk call me a loser. Offered to buy him a drink. He declined in typical ####### fashion and was booed out of the bar by just about everyone in there. Again, I think having FSU football to root for helped. I’m 56 in April, maybe I’ve seen that sports is cyclical and I really need to enjoy the good times. And to me, these are good times. We’re fun to watch and we have as good a chance as any other team to win it next year. Every team has holes. Every GM misses on picks. Pacheco is a great story, but don’t forget he replaced a 1st round bust at rb. It happens. 
Always take the field and it makes it easier. 
GO EFFING BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean, he’s been really good for us. But what did he really do so far? Get lucky because the rest of the nfl didn’t think Poyer was worth what he was asking for?

You could say the fact of the professional way that he handled things with Jordan made him feel like he could come home

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

beane is solid good....but pump the brakes on "top" gm. if it wasn't for josh he'd be in serious trouble.

lets start with restructures the big 3 of josh, diggs & von who total $40 mil of cap this year. BUT, they total $100 mil next yr.....thats a positive short term and a  negative long term.

the loss of tremaine edmunds is huge. it was the right decision....but it doesnt make us better.

Harty is a slight upgrade over the slot guys mckenzie, beasley, crowder.  upgrade in return game depth.

then the upgrades will come from hitting on the draft....not always a sure thing

But that’s how you actually improve your team whenever you are paying a franchise qb

Through the draft

This is exactly what Kansas City did. A lot of the reinforcements came through the draft, especially on the d

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

You could say the fact of the professional way that he handled things with Jordan made him feel like he could come home

I guess that’s fair. I think Poyer didn’t want to leave in the first place but he had to chase one last big payday and his wife was in his ear. But point taken. Not sure if that is Pat on the back worthy though. But we have a really good GM

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Nature of the NFL also. 

Amongst the top, sometimes staying the same is good.  KC has lost some impact guys.  Same for CIN. 

Then here come the challengers… Jets, Jaguars, Dolphins, Chargers etc.. (although the Chargers might lose half their offense in Ekeler) 

Problem is KC has crushed the draft.  They’re set up well.   The Bills have been meh drafting and the Bengals have an owner that already seems to be showing that his cash flow is going to be a problem. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Josh didn’t just knock on the door and say “hey Beane. I’m here to save you”. No, Beane drafted Josh. Kinda rich how some of you mention this without giving Beane credit for, you know, actually drafting him. 

26 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Josh didn’t just knock on the door and say “hey Beane. I’m here to save you”. No, Beane drafted Josh. Kinda rich how some of you mention this without giving Beane credit for, you know, actually drafting him. 

Beane’s “body of work” hasn’t been good. He gets credit for Josh and that’s really it. Mostly misses from there on out and they were bad times to miss, as you can see. We needed those building blocks and struck out swinging. Some of these defensive picks will likely be out of the league 2 years from now. Some would probably be out of the league right now if they weren’t on our team. That’s bad.

Edited by Governor

2 hours ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

I don't know how i feel about this offseason so far, we needed major help along the OL and so far we are hoping LG Conner McGovern is better than his backup status his first 4 years. We signed a tiny dome WR who i've literally never heard of before (Yes beasley played in a dome but he also had a bunch of years of production) signed to a bigger contract than Mckenzie but he's fast, can he play in the snow , can he make it through a season at 5'7" 170 lbs.? We re-signed Jordan Poyer, he was a great pickup years ago but has clearly lost a step even before the injuries, maybe he can rekindle things with Hyde again but now we have 2 banged up safties and he's going to be 33 when the contract ends. Backup QB Kyle Allen is gross, I don't care what anyone says there isn't much to like there but he's friends with Josh so he gets a pass. I'm definitely not liking this offseason compared to last season obviously but I thought we'd go after a better OL than McGovern and we still haven't replaced our ILB situation. I realize there is the draft and many of these issues will be addressed so I hold judgement obviously but I need the OL to be priority 1 still imo.

4 hours ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

lmao, let’s just gloss over all the DE’s he’s drafted and the trash OL 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Unfortunately I can't say we've improved. We signed another meh guard, and now have a huge hole at MLB. I'm starting to lose a little bit of confidence with Beane in the draft. We are now faced with the following holes. Beane needs to hit the draft out of the park, or we will start to regress.

Top draft needs

1. MLB

2. WR2, with WR1 upside to replace Diggs in a few years.

3. Interior lineman (upgrade G position with potential to replace Mitch in 2-3 years)

4. Safety (Hyde coming back from major injury, and Poyat battled injury all year. They are both getting up there in age)

5. DT to replace Oliver, as this is his last year as a Bill.

Not expecting us to sign Wagner, but it would be a huge get. As it stands now, we go into the draft with a desperate need. Hard to stick with BPA. If we do go LB early, let's please go for a guy with elite instincts over elite athleticism.

3 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I am confused.  I thought we sucked cause of coaching.  Now its the players we acquire.   

So either the players suck and the coaching staff is pretty decent.

Or the coaches and GM are incompetent and the players somehow keep making the playoffs? 

Or they all suck and the fans are getting us into the playoffs with their game day thread acumen. 

I'm with you here and it makes me laugh thinking about it.  

Usually when the team doesn't have the coaching, the talent or the GM...that's a 2-3 win team.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.