Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

26 minutes ago, Success said:

Interesting discussion on the thread.  Clearly, for some fans, a SB is the only thing that puts a GM among the best. Which is fair.

I just remember 20+ years of GM's here who couldn't get this team above .500.  And I see other teams around the league - even teams we perceive as being pretty good - being run pretty poorly.

There are things Beane can't control, but overall, I think he gives us a better chance to contend than most.

I think that’s a fair opinion to have. Beane definitely turned the roster from perennial 7-9 team to a contender every year.

That being said, THIS off-season he’s done pretty much nothing to improve the team so the title of this thread just doesn’t make much sense.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Semi-competence or better at GM usually gets the “magician” label here. Sigh. Probably 28-30 fan bases are convinced everything their GM just did was genius. That includes fans of the GMs who didn’t do anything in FA yet and are waiting for the prices to come down. SMH

What the heck are the Bengals doing?

Lost 3 starters now and lost Perine. 

And because they’re cheap/poor they conned Pratt into taking a vastly underpay contract. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Chiefs have 12 draft picks. Bengals have 7, Bills have 6.  Nothing in the draft tracking record suggests the 2023 draft is the place we are going to close the gap. 

I am hoping that last years playoff failures were a function of injuries and emotional exhaustion from an unusual season. 

I fear that like when the Bills exposed the limitations of the Raven's offense, a strategy copied by other good teams, that the Bengals exposed the limitations of their defensive scheme, and that absent significant innovation, other teams will follow the Bengals blue print. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think that’s a fair opinion to have. Beane definitely turned the roster from perennial 7-9 team to a contender every year.

That being said, THIS off-season he’s done pretty much nothing to improve the team so the title of this thread just doesn’t make much sense.

Shocked you would be in this thread opposing something positive someone said about the team...

...said no one ever.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

What the heck are the Bengals doing?

Lost 3 starters now.

And because they’re cheap/poor they conned Pratt into taking a vastly underpay contract. 

They have Chase, Higgins and Boyd with Burrow. Plus a better OL and Mixon. They don’t need upgrades. We do have Allen Diggs, and a bag of chips. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Chiefs have 12 draft picks. Bengals have 7, Bills have 6.  Nothing in the draft tracking record suggests the 2023 draft is the place we are going to close the gap. 

I am hoping that last years playoff failures were a function of injuries and emotional exhaustion from an unusual season. 

I fear that like when the Bills exposed the limitations of the Raven's offense, a strategy copied by other good teams, that the Bengals exposed the limitations of their defensive scheme, and that absent significant innovation, other teams will follow the Bengals blue print. 

Great point. The chiefs GM is crushing beane. Pacheco in 7th! Toney trade . Tyreke HILL trade - that one move should be in the hall of fame. The balls to have the foresight. Unbelievable. Get out of paying him. He’s sort of a cancer/immature. Get massive payback w draft picks . Don’t even miss him the very next year and win Super Bowl

All their rookies played and had impact last year…..

Edited by balln
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

beane knew it. He knew it would be bad / not ideal this year at the presser. Keep that in mind.

gonna need an incredibly improbable draft. 1 starting OL 2) frank clark / impact D 3) mark andrews impact O 

I’d rather have Beane do that than see an idiot like Rex try to win the season in a meaningless press conference. 

Full disclosure: I didn’t see the presser, so I maybe shouldn’t comment. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I knew it wasn’t good when asked if they could take anything away from Monday Night the Bills coaches kept saying “no, game didn’t go long enough” and Frazier was saying he could carry over the preparation they did for that game. 

Absolutely got torched both games.

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

They have Chase, Higgins and Boyd with Burrow. Plus a better OL and Mixon. They don’t need upgrades. We do have Allen Diggs, and a bag of chips. 

I think the Bengals could regress this year.  They lost meaningful players. 

Good dialogue on this topic. I’m not sure how I feel. Losing Edmunds creates another hole at LB. The running game still has a big question mark. Von Miller is probably out 3/4 of the season so the pass rush is questionable at best. 

With Poyer back the D should be good assuming they address LB in the draft.

Still big questions on the OL. Is McGovern a plug and play starter that provides a major upgrade?  Still hope they address OL early in the draft.

Special teams is solid with Bass and Martin.

While Harty has speed, he’s also small, injury prone and has had ball security issues. Not sure he’s much of an upgrade and will most likely have a limited role. 

Thus far it’s debatable if our roster has improved. I’ll have major questions if WR, OL, LB aren’t addressed early in the draft. Even more critical is we need them to be immediate and impactful players for us.

Miami and NYJ have upgraded their rosters so IMO it’s vital we don’t just run it back with last years roster. We must add some additional playmakers and strengthen the OL.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Huh?

He did what every other GM does. Restructures contracts to get some cap space.

You're more confident about 2023 after we lost a LB, got a WR that Saints fans say is injury prone and overpaid, and retained a 32 year old safety?

I don't get it.

Literally every gm restructures he’s not some cap wiz. Draft is by far the most important role as gm, and he’s been one of the worst in the leagues at it 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Yantha said:

He's a good GM, or this would not be a playoff caliber team.  No doubt.

But so far in this free agency, I wouldn't give rave reviews.  But it's early and I trust he'll do well.

I'm not going to debate his ability as a GM right now but the issue this off-season isn't with free agency, it's with the past couple drafts where they haven't been able to find cost controlled guys who can step in and fill roles well so they need to keep shopping for replacements which is a challenge when you have a good team and limited cap.  They NEED to start hitting on draft picks, not just to be rotational fodder, but to step up and be impact players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.