Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

I don’t know. GM’s do the restructure thing all the time. 

Basically, the only difference from the team from last year is we added a guard, a guy at WR that is a wing and a prayer, and lost Edmunds.

There is a ways to go before I will call this off-season successful or not. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah…:injuries aren’t random.  Look up how many games hyde, Poyer and tredavious missed prior to 2021.  How many games had Ed and Daquan missed? How about Rousseau?  You’re talking about one guy, Von Miller   I stopped reading after that.  You’re a troll.

So you don’t think there’s a correlation between age and injuries or injury history and injuries?  I didn’t think I was exactly going out on a limb by suggesting it.  

More than ever, the NFL is a young man’s game.  Between the addition of a 17th regular season game and the removal of a bye in the postseason, you pretty much have to expect to play 21 games to win a championship compared to 19 in the past.  That puts a lot of strain on older players.

It’s a risk/reward proposition.  Beane has chosen to take his chances on some older players and/or those with injury histories.  If they stay healthy, the Bills are championship contenders and he looks like a genius.

1 hour ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

Semi-competence or better at GM usually gets the “magician” label here. Sigh. Probably 28-30 fan bases are convinced everything their GM just did was genius. That includes fans of the GMs who didn’t do anything in FA yet and are waiting for the prices to come down. SMH

15 hours ago, Success said:

The stars aligned at the right time for the Chiefs.  It doesn't mean they're a better team than the Bills.

The better team doesn't ALWAYS win the SB.  NFL history has taught us that.  A lot is getting hot at the right time, and getting some breaks.

Actually the stars didn't align and were not needed by KC.  KC is and was the better team last season,  and the better coached team won the SB period!  End of Story.  They had the better OC, DC and HC last season.  That to me makes them a better team over US last season.  No luck or getting hot was needed by them.

That coaching staff had KC ready to play for every playoff game,  and they won the SB, they deserve that credit.   We get McD "Mr. Clappy" and our team injuries made us look like a JV team vs the Bengals and Miami that was starting a practice squad QB in the playoffs.  We barely won against Miami twice at home and would have lost that playoff game if Tua had started.

We were not the team of destiny last year that everyone publicized.  We were above average against the teams we played, and we struggled against really good teams that had any offensive talent and a competent DC on the opposite side of the field.

Sorry but drinking all the Von Miller Kool aide and believing in the hype last year did not help, and the result was again was another loss with no AFCCG appearance.

Takes a lot more than than just the stars aligning and luck to win a SB. 

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

Must be good if vomiting.png@Airseven vomiting.png does not like!

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting discussion on the thread.  Clearly, for some fans, a SB is the only thing that puts a GM among the best. Which is fair.

I just remember 20+ years of GM's here who couldn't get this team above .500.  And I see other teams around the league - even teams we perceive as being pretty good - being run pretty poorly.

There are things Beane can't control, but overall, I think he gives us a better chance to contend than most.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why even bring up Keenum?  He was terrible in the preseason.  And fortunately did not have to play important minutes in the regular season.  

Every team loses players.  I for one am not too distressed that Edmunds will be in Chi Town.  He may never be heard from again.  As far as Singletary.  So what!  This team runs thru #17.  That is what makes us tick.  

That being said, we need to be much better this season on the O line.  And need more weapons on offense.  Lets see how free agency and the draft play out.  But nothing to be doing cartwheels about yet.  Although keeping Poyer is huge for the defense and the psyche of the team.  

The only reason I bring them up is that their positions require competent replacements. Say what you want about Motor and Edmunds, they were important starters on a team that won a lot of games and was one of the favorites to go to the SB the last 2 years. Keemun had plenty of success with a few teams and was a competent backup which is why he keeps getting contracts. I believe Motor could have been a more productive player with a better O-line and play calling that prioritized the run with someone other than Josh. Just see who we bring in to replace Edmunds before criticizing him. Inside LBs don’t get 18 million a year because they suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

Interesting discussion on the thread.  Clearly, for some fans, a SB is the only thing that puts a GM among the best. Which is fair.

I just remember 20+ years of GM's here who couldn't get this team above .500.  And I see other teams around the league - even teams we perceive as being pretty good - being run pretty poorly.

There are things Beane can't control, but overall, I think he gives us a better chance to contend than most.

I would argue a lot of those drought eta teams could have been contenders with Allen as qb. 

36 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Better question is - take way Josh Allen and how many teams are we better than? This supporting cast is getting weaker. 

Let’s take away Mahomes and Burrow then, too. The roster gets holes as you spend your $$$ on QB’s, and the Bengal’s aren’t even there yet. The 49’ers have a great roster, but a giant question mark at QB. I like their GM and HC.  Does Boomer finally see his dream Super Bowl matchup……with Brady vs Josh but not on a golf course this time. How many years in a row did he have Bills vs SF in the SB? 

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry OP but this is standard stuff that just about every person on this board has been talking about for months.

And as its stands right now I believe we have signed more FAs than we have lost so no comp pick for Edmunds.  Green Bay got a first round pick for Adams and Bills may get nothing for Edmunds. As it looks now he could have tagged Edmunds and still had enough cap room to make these low to mid-level deals. 

Still a long way to go this offseason but so far nothing special. 

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Based pretty much on one great decision followed by a careers worth of average decision making.  And average beats the hell out of Doug Whaley and Buddy Nix. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.