Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What part of what he's done here isn't run of the mill?

For me to be impressed he'd have to show me something that someone else couldn't do or something someone else didn't know. He paid a lot of money so far to two players without super impressive resumes, including a receiver with 793 career yards and 4 touchdowns over 4 seasons.

I mean, to answer the bolded "in general" - I'd challenge anyone to name 3-4 teams that are actually better than the Bills right now.

That's better than run of the mill. And as far as this offseason, I expected almost nothing, given our cap situation.  If he signs a LB w/ what we have left - we basically go into the draft without any real "needs."

49 minutes ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

Is it April 1st? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, to answer the bolded "in general" - I'd challenge anyone to name 3-4 teams that are actually better than the Bills right now.

That's better than run of the mill. And as far as this offseason, I expected almost nothing, given our cap situation.  If he signs a LB w/ what we have left - we basically go into the draft without any real "needs."

Chiefs, Eagles, 49ers, Bengals

I didn't say the Bills were run of the mill though. I said, what has Beane done this offseason that wasn't run of the mill?

The bills had tons of cap room, it just had to be unearthed through restructures. None of that takes a genius. It's just operational business moves that any GM would have done and was likely the plan when the original deals were signed.

top GM? magician? sorcerer? idk.... sounds like OBD planted some trolls here.... he did what most analysts said he should do.  Letting Edmunds go at that price was prudent, and not letting Poyer also walk was smart. Harty's contract is a little too rich.  

Where he really needs to hit is the draft, which has been his weakness. We'll see how that pans out.

Also curious to see how he fills RB and ILB needs. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I didn't say the Bills were run of the mill though. I said, what has Beane done this offseason that wasn't run of the mill?

The bills had tons of cap room, it just had to be unearthed through restructures. None of that takes a genius. It's just operational business moves that any GM would have done and was likely the plan when the original deals were signed.

I'd question that list.  We beat the Chiefs.  I think we'd beat the Eagles and Niners.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I'd question that list.  We beat the Chiefs.  I think we'd beat the Eagles and Niners.

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl...

The Bills aren't even in the same tier as those two teams in the SB last year. I don't think we're int he same tier as the top 4 teams.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Better question is - take way Josh Allen and how many teams are we better than? This supporting cast is getting weaker. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl...

The Bills aren't even in the same tier as those two teams in the SB last year. I don't think we're int he same tier as the top 4 teams.

The stars aligned at the right time for the Chiefs.  It doesn't mean they're a better team than the Bills.

The better team doesn't ALWAYS win the SB.  NFL history has taught us that.  A lot is getting hot at the right time, and getting some breaks.

56 minutes ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

I mean….at least he wasn’t napping. That’s worth something, right?     😋

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Better question is - take way Josh Allen and how many teams are we better than? This supporting cast is getting weaker. 

If you replace Allen with a league average qb, say Daniel Jones - I think we're a bottom half team

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

2 days = meh.

Our roster was good enough. We smacked the chiefs with the roster- in KC.  Without tredavious.  But yeah.  

injuries happened.  And if injuries to key players happens again, the same will likely happen.  

The chiefs remained injury free- it’s one of the reasons they won the SB.  

Injuries aren’t random, though.  Older players are more likely to get injured than younger players.  Players who have had major injury issues in the past are more likely to get injured than players who haven’t.  

Beane signed Von Miller last year.  He was 33 years old and had experienced 2 major injuries in the past.  He got injured again.  Now Beane has let a 25 year old LB with no major injury history walk while signing an injury prone WR and re-signing a 32 year old Safety to play alongside a 33 year old Safety.  The Bills were the 8th oldest team last season, and they’ve gotten older in FA.  They had the best roster last year when fully healthy, but that didn’t last.  It’s a calculated risk that didn’t pay off last year.  We’ll see if it does in 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

It seems to me that so far Beane has done the absolute minimum he could do this offseason. To date he’s simply restructured contracts for existing players and agreed to a bunch of special team filler slots. Is there anything LESS he could’ve done? Not a criticism….just reality.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

29 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I see this as a good start,but at the same time we should realize those restructures are pushing the cap limitations down the road. I don’t really care because we’re in a win now mentality. The reality is the state of our team is still weaker than at seasons end. Losing Edmunds, Singletary, Keemun leaves us having to replace productive vital position players. Now the FA signings have been really important but more work to do.

Why even bring up Keenum?  He was terrible in the preseason.  And fortunately did not have to play important minutes in the regular season.  

Every team loses players.  I for one am not too distressed that Edmunds will be in Chi Town.  He may never be heard from again.  As far as Singletary.  So what!  This team runs thru #17.  That is what makes us tick.  

That being said, we need to be much better this season on the O line.  And need more weapons on offense.  Lets see how free agency and the draft play out.  But nothing to be doing cartwheels about yet.  Although keeping Poyer is huge for the defense and the psyche of the team.  

39 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Damn, he writes rather well for a ten year old!!

He goes to a local charter school…😉

37 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Luke didn't have to face Vader to become a Jedi, he had to face himself and the fear that he might behind Vader if he didn't learn to stay calm and within himself and follow his process, while looking for opportunities to self reflect and continue improving... basically that's my interpretation...external pressures are what would lead to the dark side basically.

Is that you, Brandon? 😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Injuries aren’t random, though.  Older players are more likely to get injured than younger players.  Players who have had major injury issues in the past are more likely to get injured than players who haven’t.  

Beane signed Von Miller last year.  He was 33 years old and had experienced 2 major injuries in the past.  He got injured again.  Now Beane has let a 25 year old LB with no major injury history walk while signing an injury prone WR and re-signing a 32 year old Safety to play alongside a 33 year old Safety.  The Bills were the 8th oldest team last season, and they’ve gotten older in FA.  They had the best roster last year when fully healthy, but that didn’t last.  It’s a calculated risk that didn’t pay off last year.  We’ll see if it does in 2023.

Yeah…:injuries aren’t random.  Look up how many games hyde, Poyer and tredavious missed prior to 2021.  How many games had Ed and Daquan missed? How about Rousseau?  You’re talking about one guy, Von Miller   I stopped reading after that.  You’re a troll.

22 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Nailed it 

stop investing so much capital (draft and cap money) on insignificant defensive positions (safeties and linebacker) 

running it back is not the answer, Josh Allen played a miracle game against the chiefs and the defense still couldnt get the job done, fast forward a year and they couldnt stop a third string Miami QB or joe burrow 

invest in the offense, period 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.