Beane again showing why he is a top GM

Success

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m happy with the offseason so far.  

Edmunds price of 18M was too much.  he resisted the temptation and played that card correctly imo. 

Poyer-  He held his ground and played things perfectly as he kept a great working relationship with JP, enough so that he would return.  He’s a leader and would have been missed.  

mcgovern-  looks like a huge upgrade over Saffold in pass protection….and that’s really what matters most.  The move could also help both OG spots of Bates moves to LG and performs better than he did at RG-  

Harty-  I’ve been a fan of the kid for a few years, so I absolutely love this signing.  I think he’ll be a WR along with some gadgets. Dorsey needs to make him shine.  Maybe our PR too (but I’m worried about the fumbles)

martin- stud punter-  didn’t overpay

Matakavich- lol

Dodson-  capable backup- knows the system-  hopefully won’t have to play.  

tendered Dane- solid depth. 

Resigned Cam Lewis

This post is a perfect example of how the off-season has been "meh" at best.

Our 2022 roster wasn't good enough to make it out of the divisional round.  Yet 7 of our 9 moves have been re-signing the players that were not good enough to make it out of the divisional round, or letting them walk in Free Agency (Edmunds). I understand that you have to sign some of your own, but the unfortunate part is that we do not have enough cap space to get new players.

Of our 2 new players, 1 has never made it through a full football season and has been on IR at some point for 2 of the last 3 seasons. The other was the 68th ranked free agent, according to NFL.com

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

I feel like we need a bigger splash to push us over the hump. 

I don't know what it is and am not qualified to do better, but i am hopeful we can add a true impact player in FA AND in the Draft. 

The current moves have been solid and smart, but lack the impact i think we need. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

Well,

You can't argue with "Success"

Thank you, I'll be here all week !

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Why are you acting like Poyer is some scrub safety? Yes he is 32 but only signed for 2 years. He had a injury riddled season last year and still played really good. I mean flame away at Tremaine leaving and signing Harty, but stop with the Poyer hating.

I like Poyer a lot and really appreciate all he has done for this team for the past half decade. I understand retaining him since we have no real other option at safety, but re-signing him doesnt move us any close to a championship and he has shown signs of slowing down.

We need a better roster since the current roster keeps getting bounced out of the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 days = meh.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This post is a perfect example of how the off-season has been "meh" at best.

Our 2022 roster wasn't good enough to make it out of the divisional round.  Yet 7 of our 9 moves have been re-signing the players that were not good enough to make it out of the divisional round, or letting them walk in Free Agency (Edmunds). I understand that you have to sign some of your own, but the unfortunate part is that we do not have enough cap space to get new players.

Of our 2 new players, 1 has never made it through a full football season and has been on IR at some point for 2 of the last 3 seasons. The other was the 68th ranked free agent, according to NFL.com

Our roster was good enough. We smacked the chiefs with the roster- in KC.  Without tredavious.  But yeah.  

injuries happened.  And if injuries to key players happens again, the same will likely happen.  

The chiefs remained injury free- it’s one of the reasons they won the SB.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I like Poyer a lot and really appreciate all he has done for this team for the past half decade. I understand retaining him since we have no real other option at safety, but re-signing him doesnt move us any close to a championship and he has shown signs of slowing down.

We need a better roster since the current roster keeps getting bounced out of the playoffs.

Yes, but losing him moves us away from being a great team….you need to look a little deeper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

2 days = meh.

Our roster was good enough. We smacked the chiefs with the roster- in KC.  Without tredavious.  But yeah.  

injuries happened.  And if injuries to key players happens again, the same will likely happen.  

Regular season is irrelevant. The Jets beat us in the regular season. Are they good enough?

The playoffs are where teams show their colors. And so far are colors havent resulted in a championship.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yes, but losing him moves us away from being a great team….you need to look a little deeper.

That's fair. We really didn't have any other good option at safety.

8 minutes ago, Draconator said:

The best thing you can do is ignore him. Lord knows I've gone after him, but he just keeps coming back with the same old crap. Just ignore him and he will dry up like a glass of water in the dessert. 

You’re right-  I had him on ignore and was caught at a moment of weakness to see how ignorant is post would be-  lo and behold.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Success said:

What he has done so far is like a magic trick. This team was WAY over cap just a week ago.  Yes, a lot of contracts were set up to restructure. But we've signed a speedy receiver, a solid starter at guard and re-signed Poyer.  We didn't overpay for Edmunds, and still have some space to bring in a LB, a RB, or possibly both.  We have also retained key role players like Dane Jackson, Martin and Dodson.

Personally, I'm much more optimistic about 2023 than I was just a few weeks ago.  And we still have the draft ahead of us.  He DOES need to nail this draft, but I'm just feeling good about the whole deal.

It's good to have a capable GM. They're not plentiful in this league, and at worst, everything Beane does is well thought-out, and in line w/ a true vision for what this team needs to be.

What part of what he's done here isn't run of the mill?

For me to be impressed he'd have to show me something that someone else couldn't do or something someone else didn't know. He paid a lot of money so far to two players without super impressive resumes, including a receiver with 793 career yards and 4 touchdowns over 4 seasons.

25 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Unless the draft can land us a competent Head Coach, our biggest liability will still remain

There's always going to be haters that hate even if they are winning . How soon we forget ...

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

We need a better roster since the current roster keeps getting bounced out of the 

Even with the as you say "signs of slowing down" he is still one of the better safeties in the game. If we would of signed him for more then 2 years I'd agree with you, but I really don't see him coming back an issue.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillzFreak said:

Even with the as you say "signs of slowing down" he is still one of the better safeties in the game. If we would of signed him for more then 2 years I'd agree with you, but I really don't see him coming back an issue.

It’s not an issue.  At all. It’s him. 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

2 days = meh.

That was a back-and-forth game decided by four points. Both teams had leads at various points of the game and the Bills scored the go-ahead TD with 1:04 left in the game. Bills hardly went to KC and "smacked" them. They went in, got the job done and left. Don't make it out as if the Bills won by 2-3 td's.

I see this as a good start,but at the same time we should realize those restructures are pushing the cap limitations down the road. I don’t really care because we’re in a win now mentality. The reality is the state of our team is still weaker than at seasons end. Losing Edmunds, Singletary, Keemun leaves us having to replace productive vital position players. Now the FA signings have been really important but more work to do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.