Poyer is back! Resigning with Bills

Big Blitz

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It’s just a net plus/minus. Right now we lost two and signed two UFAs. Keenum/Edmunds and McGovern/Harty cancel each other out. I am not sure if K. Allen counts. Poyer leaving would have added to the other side, which puts a 3rd round pick in play. Since he re-signed he doesn’t affect the formula either way. 

If Singletary goes and we don’t sign anyone else, that comp pick is back in play. The only other somewhat noteworthy free agent we have is Saffold. I assume that the Bills will sign a linebacker, maybe an RB and another OL somewhere here, so that makes this whole thing moot. 

I'm not positive but pretty sure Kyle Allen does not qualify.

It's a crazy confusing methodology but not all UFA quality as CFAs (Compensatory Free Agents).

Each team has to compare the number out and in of only CFAs

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Ok, so its really just number of players in/out and ONLY IF you lose more players than you sign then you start looking at the contracts? So let's say we only lose Edmunds for that crazy contract and sign some random RB for 6/2 and we get nothing?

If that is the case I agree with @HappyDays that once you know 3rd round is in play for someone like Edmunds you should start considering "playing comp pick game". Not saying that you should do anything to get that comp pick, just take it into equation. If we don't get it because we lose 3 players and sign 3 players I'd say it could be a mistake. If we sign 5 FAs who qualify then like you said its all moot point.

See above.  The other consideration is this formula is not only signing money.  Points are added for % of number of snaps on O and D plus

points for AP’s All Pro list, and the PFWA’s All NFL/All Conference list.

It's a crazy formula.  If anyone wants to check out the rules, OTC has the best article about it.

Good Luck, I can't decipher it fully.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

This is good for the Bills.  2 years and an All Pro Safety remains on the Bills.  This crap he’s old, banged up and slow is just that, crap.  This past year is the first time he’s missed games and been hurt since 2017 minus I think 1 game or 2.

It's not crap. There's tread on the tires (which is why he wasn't desired in free agency). Given age and recent injuries, each new season brings added risk of diminishing effectiveness. His spot was an opportunity to get younger, cheaper, and perhaps better (if early draft pick). Alas, McDermott opts for recycling what's comfortable.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This is good for Buffalo, I don't care what the negative nancy's say.

8 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It's not crap. There's tread on the tires (which is why he wasn't desired in free agency). Given age and recent injuries, each new season brings added risk of diminishing effectiveness. His spot was an opportunity to get younger, cheaper, and perhaps better (if early draft pick). Alas, McDermott opts for recycling what's comfortable.

We still have Benford who will continue to develop and possible replace him or Hyde soon.  We can still draft a S as well and don't need to throw someone who isn't ready into the position..

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Yet you think it’s an amazing idea that the jets are renting rodgers for a year or two?  If they don’t win the super bowl, it’s still a complete waste of time.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

Yet you think it’s an amazing idea that the jets are renting rodgers for a year or two?  If they don’t win the super bowl, it’s still a complete waste of time.  

Are you comparing the effect Rodgers would have on the Jets to what the Poyer means to the Bills? I like Poyer, and I'm glad he is back, but Rodgers takes the Jets into a Super Bowl contender, and Poyer doesn't move the needle that much.

Edited by uticaclub
  • Dislike 2

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Hey hey GREAT answer Jordan. And Drives my belief another family member was driving the internet fuel. 

Poyer is being a bit coy about Miami.  He had an interview where he talked about what good friends he is with Tua and how he was invited to some party where the Miami coaches were going to be and he'd put on his best coat for the occasion to make a good impression or some such, prompting Mike McDaniel to be questioned and respond "we aren't in the business of tampering".  So if there was an assumption that Miami was a priority destination for him, he helped to create that assumption.

It's All Good - All's fair in love and free agency.

Edit: it was Poyer's podcast, and the party was Tua's Birthday party

Yeah, no, it wasn't just something the press and fans made up out of "Phin Air" so to speak.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Poyer is being a bit coy about Miami.  He had an interview where he talked about what good friends he is with Tua and how he was invited to some party where the Miami coaches were going to be and he'd put on his best coat for the occasion to make a good impression or some such, prompting Mike McDaniel to be questioned and respond "we aren't in the business of tampering".  So if there was an assumption that Miami was a priority destination for him, he helped to create that assumption.

It's All Good - All's fair in love and free agency.

Edit: it was Poyer's podcast, and the party was Tua's Birthday party

Yeah, no, it wasn't just something the press and fans made up out of "Phin Air" so to speak.

I see using a team for leverage here. Noting more. 

5 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Are you comparing the effect Rodgers would have on the Jets to what the Poyer means to the Bills? I like Poyer, and I'm glad he is back, but Rodgers takes the Jets into a Super Bowl contender, and Poyer doesn't move the needle that much.

Rodgers led the Packers to ONE super bowl appearance in 15 seasons as starting QB.  The legend of Aaron Rodgers is just that, an Urban Legend.  The Jets O line is trash.  I can see Rodgers hobbling around by mid season looking as bad if not worse then he did with the Packers.  I am not worried about him and the Jets.  

The division goes through Western New York until #17 decides to pack it in.  I think this years team will have a new resolve when everything gets cranked up again.  Losing Leslie Frazier is a nice plus as well.  Can't imagine he got anyone on the defense fired up to kick ass and run through walls.  

8 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I wasn’t comparing the importance of the positions.  I was responding to that poster about going with pourer vs going younger and cheaper.  You want the best guys on the field to help you win a super bowl.  I seriously doubt a replacement would actually be better than poyer, so you go with the best guy. 

he uses poyers age and acts like he’s going to crash next year.  What about Rodgers?   The guy who said he was 90% ready to retire before he went on his dark retreat.  Won’t he break down? Will he play more than a year of the season doesn’t go as hoped?    What has he accomplished in the playoffs in the last few years?   I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to get rodgers, but if he doesn’t win a super bowl, it’s a complete waste of time and resources. 

I just found it odd that airseven thinks the rodgers trade is a slam dunk, but bringing power back is the ultimate sin. 

57 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LOT of backtracking on those Vegas and Miami statements! :thumbsup:

All good. Glad to have him back. Free Agency market is a tough place.

Vegas or California is where I think he REALLY wanted to be if not in Buffalo. I think the MIA things where driven by another. 

Edited by MAJBobby

19 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I see using a team for leverage here. Noting more. 

Like I said, "all's fair in love and FA".  But Poyer was making it seem as though it was all on the press to interpret it that way, when he clearly pointed them in that direction with his stuff about Tua and his birthday party.

Edited by Beck Water

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Vegas or California is where I think he REALLY wanted to be if not in Buffalo. I think the MIA things where driven by another. 

Bobby, California state income tax rates max out at 12.3%of the amount over $677k vs NYS 9.65% of the amount over $1M rising to 10.9% of the amount over $25M.  If Poyer was looking for lower taxes, California is Not That Place.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I do think if Vegas offered a contract he would have been gone. 

I think Poyer is too smart to want to play for Josh McDaniels, but maybe that's just me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.