Poyer is back! Resigning with Bills

Big Blitz

37 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Hard to play the comp pick game when they have so many roster spots to fill

And I’m not complaining about it, it just doesn’t seem to a be a thing in their wheelhouse, though we discuss it on here a lot. They target specific players every year and most of them are UFAs. Some teams just don’t sign anyone for what ever reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not "chasing comp picks." If signing Poyer instead of him signing elsewhere means that we lose a 3rd round comp pick, that means we basically gave up a 3rd rounder for him. I know it's not really that simple but that's the possible outcome here. If it came down to it I would rather have the cap space and the 3rd rounder in 2024 than just Poyer. I say that as a huge fan of his. But football is a business and shrewdness often wins in the end.

2 questions:

1. Are you sure that Poyer counts like any other free agent? I thought that re-signing your own doesn't count.

2. Do you understand how the formula works? If Poyer signs something like 14/2 does it mean we can completely lose 3rd round pick for TE, or it can just cause that it becomes lower pick, let's say 5th round?

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

And I’m not complaining about it, it just doesn’t seem to a be a thing in their wheelhouse, though we discuss it on here a lot. They target specific players every year and most of them are UFAs. Some teams just don’t sign anyone for what ever reason. 

“What about the comp picks”

yeah let’s let established guys walk for lottery tickets. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

2 questions:

1. Are you sure that Poyer counts like any other free agent? I thought that re-signing your own doesn't count.

2. Do you understand how the formula works? If Poyer signs something like 14/2 does it mean we can completely lose 3rd round pick for TE, or it can just cause that it becomes lower pick, let's say 5th round?

It’s just a net plus/minus. Right now we lost two and signed two UFAs. Keenum/Edmunds and McGovern/Harty cancel each other out. I am not sure if K. Allen counts. Poyer leaving would have added to the other side, which puts a 3rd round pick in play. Since he re-signed he doesn’t affect the formula either way. 

If Singletary goes and we don’t sign anyone else, that comp pick is back in play. The only other somewhat noteworthy free agent we have is Saffold. I assume that the Bills will sign a linebacker, maybe an RB and another OL somewhere here, so that makes this whole thing moot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The longer it takes for the contract details to come out, the more I think it must be a team friendly deal.

Makes me think so as well. Agents are typically the ones who leak the signing and make the deal sound the most lucrative for their client. We’ve seen that a few times over the past off-season. 

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It’s just a net plus/minus. Right now we lost two and signed two UFAs. Keenum/Edmunds and McGovern/Harty cancel each other out. I am not sure if K. Allen counts. Poyer leaving would have added to the other side, which puts a 3rd round pick in play. Since he re-signed he doesn’t affect the formula either way. 

If Singletary goes and we don’t sign anyone else, that comp pick is back in play. The only other somewhat noteworthy free agent we have is Saffold. I assume that the Bills will sign a linebacker, maybe an RB and another OL somewhere here, so that makes this whole thing moot. 

Ok, so its really just number of players in/out and ONLY IF you lose more players than you sign then you start looking at the contracts? So let's say we only lose Edmunds for that crazy contract and sign some random RB for 6/2 and we get nothing?

If that is the case I agree with @HappyDays that once you know 3rd round is in play for someone like Edmunds you should start considering "playing comp pick game". Not saying that you should do anything to get that comp pick, just take it into equation. If we don't get it because we lose 3 players and sign 3 players I'd say it could be a mistake. If we sign 5 FAs who qualify then like you said its all moot point.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The fact that the agent hasn't leaked the details is a great sign. 

Agreed, it is a good sign that it will not be something his agent is proud of. But what would you think in fact means?

I've seen even numbers like $10M AAV floating around, which seems way to much to me. I hope it is $7M or so.

Also, it was reported as 2yr deal, but we've seen in the past that it actually can be 1yr deal with void year.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Agreed, it is a good sign that it will not be something his agent is proud of. But what would you think in fact means?

I've seen even numbers like $10M AAV floating around, which seems way to much to me. I hope it is $7M or so.

Also, it was reported as 2yr deal, but we've seen in the past that it actually can be 1yr deal with void year.

That's my hunch right now. Maybe a 2/$12M fully guaranteed, but that 2nd year is void. So it's really a 1/$12M for Poyer but $6M a year for the Bills.

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

We'd get a 3rd for Edmunds and a 7th for Keenum hypothetically 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.