Poyer is back! Resigning with Bills

Big Blitz

I like to pretend that we lost Edmunds but replaced him with Hyde and Miller in FA. Plus Poyer won’t be playing injured. Successful offseason so far. 

Can we start a blame Edmunds post and invite some bears fans? 

Edited by Bills!Win!

One thing that kind of sucks about Poyer coming back is we are now unlikely to get a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds. I'm not sure Poyer is worth whatever cap space he'll take up plus a 3rd round pick, versus just starting Benford at his spot. I'm not as excited about this re-signing as I want to be.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

One thing that kind of sucks about Poyer coming back is we are now unlikely to get a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds. I'm not sure Poyer is worth whatever cap space he'll take up plus a 3rd round pick, versus just starting Benford at his spot. I'm not as excited about this re-signing as I want to be.

OK so
We know that Jordan is good

We’ve never seen Benford play safety

No, I certainly hope the Christian Benford ends up being an excellent safety, because Jordan and hyde are not gonna be with us forever if he ended up being a back up safety for us, and a good one, then that would be awesome

Just on a sidenote, as a whole the other thing that we haven’t done, a lot is play our young guys we don’t know what we have in a lot of these young players whenever you’re playing a franchise QB you have to player draft picks, so we might be seeing what we have more out of some of these guys this upcoming year

Edited by John from Riverside

3 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

OMG! Got rid of Edmunds and brought back Poyer? ***** fantastic!!!

you wanted them to pay Edmunds $18M+ a year? I absolutely wouldn’t. I’m not even an Edmunds hater but that was surely a luxury contract by the Bears because they have so much cap space.

Edited by JoPoy88

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

you wanted them to pay Edmunds $18M+ a year? I absolutely wouldn’t. I’m not even an Edmunds hater but that was surely a luxury contract by the Bears because they have so much cap space.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Edmunds was ***** terrible. Psyched to have Poyer back

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

When Poyer is healthy we have maybe the best veteran safety duo in the NFL. I can't worry about chasing comp picks. Some teams are better at accumulating them than others.  If we can land Wagner for a couple years, we'll be in a very good position defensively. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

When Poyer is healthy we have maybe the best veteran safety duo in the NFL. I can't worry about chasing comp picks. Some teams are better at accumulating them than others.  If we can land Wagner for a couple years, we'll be in a very good position defensively. 

No one should be worried about chasing comp picks. So stupid. This board has an obscene obsession with these things. I never understood it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

No one should be worried about chasing comp picks. So stupid. This board has an obscene obsession with these things. I never understood it.

I'm not "chasing comp picks." If signing Poyer instead of him signing elsewhere means that we lose a 3rd round comp pick, that means we basically gave up a 3rd rounder for him. I know it's not really that simple but that's the possible outcome here. If it came down to it I would rather have the cap space and the 3rd rounder in 2024 than just Poyer. I say that as a huge fan of his. But football is a business and shrewdness often wins in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not "chasing comp picks." If signing Poyer instead of him signing elsewhere means that we lose a 3rd round comp pick, that means we basically gave up a 3rd rounder for him. I know it's not really that simple but that's the possible outcome here. If it came down to it I would rather have the cap space and the 3rd rounder in 2024 than just Poyer. I say that as a huge fan of his. But football is a business and shrewdness often wins in the end.

How does that work exactly because either way we were likely using the cap space we opened up, would that cost us the comp pick anyway?

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

so are they win now mode or no? Because I don’t care about a 3rd round pick if we get a healthy (and I understand that’s a dicey proposition) Poyer for another year. 

It’s not an obvious decision either way so I get you there. But I don’t think comp picks should come into it at all, not for this team right now.

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Would they likely have signed someone in FA to replace Poyer? If so doesnt make any difference to him re-signing here then...

Need to lose more than you sign right to get a comp pick?

Beane likes to fill all the holes in FA and go into the draft without obvious needs.. so unlikely a pick was coming our way as I expect him to still pick up a couple more guys... not sure how many more they are gunna lose.. Singletary maybe?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Airseven said:

Bringing back the same defense - with more tread on the tires, without Miller and Edmunds, and relying on vets to overcome injury - is concerning.

They still need a replacement MLB and another pass rusher opposite Rousseau. Perhaps there’s hope for an actual upgrade therein…

It is important to remember that the Bills were missing Daquan Jones, Von Miller, and Micah Hyde for the playoff game .. three of their best defensive players. Miller is trending toward being ready by training camp last I heard. I also think Groot and Basham will continue to develop along with Elam .. so not quite so static 

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It is important to remember that the Bills were missing Daquan Jones, Von Miller, and Micah Hyde for the playoff game .. three of their best defensive players. Miller is trending toward being ready by training camp last I heard. I also think Groot and Basham will continue to develop along with Elam .. so not quite so static 

Bro @Airseven is not a Bills fan. No use arguing with him.

• Like (+1) 1

Poyer picked NYS tax for his public “complaint about Buffalo”.

… think about the emotional intelligence in that public comment ??

It makes it clear that the money matters. 
it makes it clear he is fine with team, fans, mgt. 

brilliant

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Honestly, this was probably the year to play the comp pick game and they are clearly not going to do it. They target specific players and it doesn’t appear that they take the comp pick game into account.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Honestly, this was probably the year to play the comp pick game and they are clearly not going to do it. They target specific players and it doesn’t appear that they take the comp pick game into account.

Hard to play the comp pick game when they have so many roster spots to fill

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.