Darren Waller Traded Due Wedding Details Leaked

aristocrat

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/darren-waller-upset-josh-mcdaniels-revealing-wedding-plans-kelsey-plum/

BOSTON -- Perhaps the biggest move in the NFL on Tuesday was not a free-agent signing but rather a trade, as the Raiders sent star tight end Darren Waller to the New York Giants.

The Raiders are receiving only a third-round pick for Waller, who's under contract for the next four seasons. For a player who was a Pro Bowler in 2020, that's an awfully low return.

But one tidbit about the deal might help explain why the Raiders were willing to execute the trade.

According to The Athletic's Vic Tafur, Waller had gotten upset with Raiders head coach Josh McDaniels for accidentally telling the media that Waller was getting married.

Josh just can't get out of his own way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

File this away as the first document in the "who gives a flying F" file...

Could be privacy concerns, could be angry side pieces 

either way, not coaches spot to tell the media his personal business 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc said:

He’s on the downside. He’ll be 31 when the season starts and he’s been injured the past two season.

Seems Waller is bit of a diva. If he flipped on JM for the leak I can see said coach sending him on his way!! Neither comes out looking great and Waller now send across the country from his new secret bride. JM is kind of a jerk but this is on both. 

It would be weird if this had anything to do with the trade. I wouldn’t think Waller would want to leave Las Vegas since his new wife plays there too.

and if McDaniels decided to trade Waller because McDaniels himself slipped up and told the press about waller’s wedding, I’m not even sure what to make of that. It would be a very odd reason, and would make me think McDaniels is about as thin skinned as you can be…

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It would be weird if this had anything to do with the trade. I wouldn’t think Waller would want to leave Las Vegas since his new wife plays there too.

and if McDaniels decided to trade Waller because McDaniels himself slipped up and told the press about waller’s wedding, I’m not even sure what to make of that. It would be a very odd reason, and would make me think McDaniels is about as thin skinned as you can be…

I think its refreshing that McDaniels is sort of old school.  Doesn't give a flip about his players feelings.  Modern players in all sports seem so coddled now.  These guys get paid big money.  Toughen up.  Act like men.  Who cares if the coach said a player is getting married.  That should not be secretive.  

Regardless, I doubt that's why he got traded.  Dude is injured more then he plays.  Make him the Giants problem.  Playing in the cold of the Meadowlands, Waller will continue to be injured.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/darren-waller-upset-josh-mcdaniels-revealing-wedding-plans-kelsey-plum/

BOSTON -- Perhaps the biggest move in the NFL on Tuesday was not a free-agent signing but rather a trade, as the Raiders sent star tight end Darren Waller to the New York Giants.

The Raiders are receiving only a third-round pick for Waller, who's under contract for the next four seasons. For a player who was a Pro Bowler in 2020, that's an awfully low return.

But one tidbit about the deal might help explain why the Raiders were willing to execute the trade.

According to The Athletic's Vic Tafur, Waller had gotten upset with Raiders head coach Josh McDaniels for accidentally telling the media that Waller was getting married.

Josh just can't get out of his own way. 

So how does a player being upset with a head coach ( and in this case it seems pretty petty, I didn’t read the article but what is so terrible about letting that slip out unless Waller was worried she might say no and he would be embarrassed, or it would interfere with Waller still being a “player”  off the field too if news got out he was no longer a “free agent” ! Lol !)  dictate what they would accept in a trade for him?  If he is so pissed he is threatening to sit out etc, then let him do it rather than get ripped off in a trade. If he IS actually getting married , those bills will start rolling in as his fiancé, I am sure , expects a certain NFL life style ( no one marries just because they love someone , right?😂). The pressure on Waller would keep mounting , as she would prob be withholding certain assets as well, and seems to me he would eventually cave and play!  Guess i need to read about it , but how does the “player” have any control or leverage in this situation, enough so to influence trade value?  

Someone is “ whipped” in this scenario , and I’m not sure who is really the “ whipee” , Waller or McDaniels !  one thing seems sure, Daboll didn’t get his  COTY award by being the guy whipped , and is starting his second year being “ dominant” in improving his roster!  😁 Good for Dabs;  no wonder he is always smiling and laughing. I bet he was miserable at times under Mr always so serious , Mr never say anything that could give an edge to the opponent, Mr process himself , but #1 in our hearts , coach McD !  

50 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Could be certain players and coaches weren’t invited and Waller was keeping it on the DL…

Could be none of the players showed up to Bo ****ing Callaghan’s birthday party… don’t overthink this Sonny. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.