Pats still manipulating the cap !

Desert Bills Fan

10 hours ago, T master said:

If they do even a better reason to use this route to create cap space ! Who could the Bills get to do this Mica ??? 

It's just your wording I have issue with.

They're not "creating cap space." You can say, I guess, "creating cap space in the 2023 cap" or whatever year it's referring to. But cap space is not just alchemically  being created.

They're just moving cap space from one year to another. 

You can't really create cap space, except by cutting or trading away guys.

Sorry. My detail-obsessed brain at work. I'm sure you already totally understand this, but when people say "He created cap space," others read it and think there really is a way to just mystically create space, like NFL cap guys are wizards or Maester Qyburn or something.

Jaime:  You're no maester. Where's your chain?

Qyburn:  The Citadel stripped me of it. They found some of my ... experiments ... too bold. Luckily, I found work with the Belichick family.

(I added that last sentence.)

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

“Patriots create cap space by reworking retiring player's contract:

The New England Patriots tacked a year onto Devin McCourty's contract at a minimum value ($1.165 million for 2023), according to ESPN's Field Yates. McCourty announced his retirement last week. According to Yates, this is a cap tactic that creates $5.035 million in 2023 cap space, while pushing $6.2 million in dead money to 2024, presuming the retirement is officially processed after June 1.”

I still hate the Cheetriots, but I love the creative thinking that comes out of that org. Beane: take a note!

Is this a known and legit practice?

If it sounds unusual - it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL office sends it back to them and says "you can't do that"

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Is this a known and legit practice?

If it sounds unusual - it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL office sends it back to them and says "you can't do that"

I've never seen it, and I'd guess it's new.

I bet they get away with it because though he has announced his retirement, he hasn't yet filed the official papers.

Remember Eric Wood announcing his retirement and then trying to walk it back awkwardly because it worked out differently financially to have the Bills give him an injury settlement and release him before he retired?

Edited by Thurman#1

I still have no idea how they got away with giving a crap load of money to Brady via his TB12 physical therapy company as their official team PT firm and never had to count that as compensation why they paid him way less than market value officially. Why don’t the Bills have Josh and Diggs form a company that does that and pay them half as much salary yet pay for their company’s services. Then Von can also own a food service company, since he is a chicken farmer and we can pay him a $5 million salary and just use his food company for the stadium and team. The Cheatriots did this with no impunity, why don’t we? 

Edited by Locomark

20 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

“Patriots create cap space by reworking retiring player's contract:

The New England Patriots tacked a year onto Devin McCourty's contract at a minimum value ($1.165 million for 2023), according to ESPN's Field Yates. McCourty announced his retirement last week. According to Yates, this is a cap tactic that creates $5.035 million in 2023 cap space, while pushing $6.2 million in dead money to 2024, presuming the retirement is officially processed after June 1.”

I still hate the Cheetriots, but I love the creative thinking that comes out of that org. Beane: take a note!

They are genius!

Still prefer we have BBB ! 
The Pats are not genius across the board (bad drafting and intentionally breaking rules) But they leave no stone unturned on clever ideas.

like Locomark mentioned: hiring Brady’s Co for  team Physical Therapists….and Brady taking team friendly deal….

just like to file away clever ideas for future use….  (Like maybe Allen Family farms being Bills training camp food provider, or when Von Miller “retires” to become front office exec in a couple years)…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.